Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To be fair, kids make other kids cry over a lot of different things.
This is about their Christian beliefs. Stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If your child is so frightened by what this other child tells him, perhaps it’s time to remove said child as a friend? Not every kid is a positive influence; and if your grandchild is that terrified, some sort of action should be taken.
Maybe the real and better answer is that children should not be taught that they could be doomed by a terrorist god who will send them to an internal lake of fire if they don't worship him. That sounds to me like just about any abusive relationship one hears about.

"Honey, you know I love you, but if you don't haul your butt down here this minute and give me sex, I'll pound you into a pulp". What's the difference between that and teaching your child that they will be eternally punished for not honoring their parent's god or religion?

As I mentioned, I give the evangelical parents credit as they immediately took steps to address their children from any further discussion of religion with my grandson. But it is their religion I blame, for what it teaches.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Maybe the real and better answer is that children should not be taught that they could be doomed by a terrorist god who will send them to an internal lake of fire if they don't worship him. That sounds to me like just about any abusive relationship one hears about.

"Honey, you know I love you, but if you don't haul your butt down here this minute and give me sex, I'll pound you into a pulp". What's the difference between that and teaching your child that they will be eternally punished for not honoring their parent's god or religion?

As I mentioned, I give the evangelical parents credit as they immediately took steps to address their children from any further discussion of religion with my grandson. But it is their religion I blame, for what it teaches.
The difference is - pounding someone into a pulp is a crime. Teaching children a prayer is not. What do you suggest? Go in with a SWAT team and remove kids from any religious home?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:

Lol...so, basically the parents handled it & the kids are still friends?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The difference is - pounding someone into a pulp is a crime. Teaching children a prayer is not. What do you suggest? Go in with a SWAT team and remove kids from any religious home?
As a society, we have within the space of little more than a generation, gone from virtually everyone supporting corporal punishment, including in school, to it becoming at the very least viewed as aberrant, and many now view it as criminal.

Similarly, we as a society can, and I suggest should, dissuade the teaching of religious beliefs, until such time a child is an adult, or at the very least, has enough cognitive ability as demonstrated by being able to understand basic geometry and algebra, which demonstrates some grasp of logical thinking. This is not an overnight project, but I see the likelihood of it occurring organically substantially more likely now than 10 years ago.

The point is, leave your religion in your home, your head and your place of worship. If you are indoctrinating your children, ensure they keep their thoughts in the same constraints. Religion has no place in the public sphere; it damages innocent people, it causes 7 year old grandchildren to have nightmares because the beliefs are discussed publicly. The right of freedom of religion stops the moment the exercise of that right affects others negatively. There is no excuse

Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:

The point is, leave your religion in your home, your head and your place of worship. If you are indoctrinating your children, ensure they keep their thoughts in the same constraints. Religion has no place in the public sphere; it damages innocent people, it causes 7 year old grandchildren to have nightmares because the beliefs are discussed publicly. The right of freedom of religion stops the moment the exercise of that right affects others negatively.
Absolutely - religion of any kind belongs in the home. It has no place in education, government, etc. That said, we don’t belong in other people’s homes to ‘govern’ what is taught - except where it’s a matter of law and safety. A child telling your grandson something which frightened him does not qualify.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The common prayer...…..
"Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray to God my soul to take."

How the ***** could that not scare a young undeveloped mind'
Not to excuse it, as I agree its' very wrong, but it never frightened me. In my experience, people vary a great deal, even as children, in their vulnerability to such notions, just in the same way that some people won't lose sleep over an HP Lovecraft tale and others will.

My daughter was traumatized by the story of Rumplestilskin when she was in first grade, as she was terrified that some ugly little man might creep into her room and take her from her family. She was, so far as I know, the only child in the class who was thusly traumatized, but I did ask them to tone it way down, bearing in mind that any child under the age of 10 has challenges separating fantasy from reality. Something that you'd think professional educators would be well aware of. So it's not just fundamentalist hellthreat that can traumatize a child.

How didI handle it? Like everything else, I just intellectualized the matter when it was presented to me a few weeks shy of my 6th birthday. While it was true that I was worthy of eternal perdition, there was a way out, which was to accept Jesus. So I ticked that check box and moved on. Easy-peasy.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well, that was rude.
Meh!

The devil made me type it. It’s not my fault.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 PM

50,760 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Meh!

The devil made me type it. It’s not my fault.
And that's one of the good things about religion. Everything is basically up to god or the devil. No personal responsibility needed.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well, that was rude.
The posts are always purposely offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality