Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, I didn't say that. I said you can't. Legally. Beat your children or have sex with them.

Please don't purposely try to misunderstand what I'm saying, or this conversation will go nowhere.

And "doing what you think is right" vs. "telling your children things you believe to be true" are two very very different things.
I'm sorry that you're not able to objectively read what I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. I agree. A different lesson needs to be taught and it is not "we are atheists, this is what we believe."
He was told he could believe in anything he wants to, including a god, if that would make him feel better. Which is exactly the way his mother and uncle were raised. Try not to be too sanctimonious.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I did.

It was mostly about you and your feelings.

You don’t get to just declare that all your descendants are atheists. How is that any different from the indoctrination you’re raving about here???

Your grandson’s reaction indicates that he is at least conflicted. If he truly thought of himself as atheist, he would not be upset at all.
You are correct, I get to declare nothing about anyone else's beliefs.

But I reserve the right to object when those beliefs start to impact the well being of anyone, but especially children, and even more especially, my grandchildren. At 7 years old, any child is not old enough to make cogent decisions about any belief system, and it is child abuse to indoctrinate a child that it needs to fear an eternal existence in a lake of fire. How can it be anything else?

Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The idea, that the government should restrain parents from passing on their deeply held religious beliefs to their children is terrifying to me.
So you are perfectly OK with a child being indoctrinated in not only Sharia law, but that it is their duty due to their parent's religion, to kill anyone not of that religion? Because that is exactly what you are saying, and I am NOT OK with that. Nor am I OK with children being indoctrinated into any religion.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
That’s just way too much common sense. It’s an excellent teaching opportunity - to explain there is no hell.
Oh, he figured that out just fine. My approach was always to answer the question being asked. And it worked. He was visibly relieved and to my knowledge has never fretted about hell since.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

But I reserve the right to object when those beliefs start to impact the well being of anyone, but especially children, and even more especially, my grandchildren. At 7 years old, any child is not old enough to make cogent decisions about any belief system, and it is child abuse to indoctrinate a child that it needs to fear an eternal existence in a lake of fire. How can it be anything else?
You can object all you want but it is not your RIGHT. It's the parents right (and are handling all this & im sure have moved on from it....)

Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:

But I reserve the right to object when those beliefs start to impact the well being of anyone, but especially children, and even more especially, my grandchildren. ?
Reserve the right to object? Well, I don’t know about that - but yeah, you can state your opinion - lol.

The problem you have is - what defines ‘the impact to the well being of anyone’. That’s the issue. Most seem to believe the parents handled it and moved on.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
I focus on the type of person thinks that kind of stuff and how to form a belief, through the scientific method, only. My kid came back all scared of hell, I picked him up, hugged the Jesus out of him, and told him how in no-gods name could a kid like you be sent there? A kid like you? so fool of goodness? would put the fires of hell out and send a ripple of joy through the whole universe ... and back. as i toss them in the bed and tickle that last bit a Jesus out of them.

then we talked about how the story of hell is like sponge bob episode. In fact, I tell them books were like movies back then. the bible is like sponge bob, or a movie ... its a lesson, or a dark comedy. I hope god is laughing, at least my life is worth something when i see he had himself a good ol' time.

My point norm, is that there are far bigger things to worry about then religion. Some religious people being one of them. Its not religion fault, its those people's fault. tell them to stop their people. tell them to police there own first.

That will self correct the nonsense, imo. In fact ..we see it happening in the church now.

those parents handled it. now we need the theist to handle their Fundy think types. we need more trouts, Miss H, and Pel's.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
So you are perfectly OK with a child being indoctrinated in not only Sharia law, but that it is their duty due to their parent's religion, to kill anyone not of that religion? Because that is exactly what you are saying, and I am NOT OK with that. Nor am I OK with children being indoctrinated into any religion.
NO, and I don't think anyone reading my posts actually believes I think that.

Yes, I think it's perfectly fine for a parent to tell their children how to dress, even in a bizarre burkha, but NOT okay to tell them to kill others who don't believe the same way.

The thing is, normstad, you're on a very, very slippery slope.

I get that you don't believe in any sort of divine power.

But what else do people believe that others could say they aren't allowed to teach their kids?

There are people who believe eating animals is immoral, and people who believe humans are omnivores and can't be healthy without including meats.

There are people who strongly think you should be married before having kids, and people who believe an accidental pregnancy is no reason to consider marrying.

There are people who think there shouldn't be a competitive academic environment in schools and athletic fields, that effort rather than achievement should be rewarded.

Who gets to decide what philosophies will be taught to children by their parents?

My answer is, the parents get to decide.

I almost didn't respond to your post, as I have a habit of not responding to posts that are purposely twisting and baiting and using hyperbole.

In no way, is teaching Christianity the same thing as telling a child we should kill people who don't share our beliefs.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I have something more to say, OP.

From my perspective, it's abusive to tell children there is no higher power whatsoever, that we are all accidents of coincidence, and that there is no purpose whatsoever to life. You are totally immaterial, and what you do matters not one little bit because we are all complete accidents in a hap hazard chaotic mean-nothing planet.

There. I think that leaves children with an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and despair.

I think telling children they were created with love, by an omniscient creator, and that all people have value and treating everyone as your brother is the goal is how to lift them up and give them joy in life. Whether or not it's actually true. Because I won't know, as no one knows for sure, in this life whether it's true. I believe it to be true, and see that people who also believe it have a hope, and a sense of belonging that others don't share who don't believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality