Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
So what do you suggest is the answer? Do we invade homes and start making laws against Christianity? Then what’s next? You start by taking religious freedom - then what else? Who decides? How long before someone wants you?

If your grandchild was afraid and in tears, then it’s up to you (or the parents) to guide, teach and console him. I certainly don’t agree with the concept (and understand how a kid could be frightened by it),but I also think most Christian parents aren’t hovering over the kid, demanding he say the prayer through tears. If so, it’s not a question of religion, it could be a question of abuse (which is another topic).

There are many kids being physically and emotionally abused (and neglected) in their homes. Those are the issues I am ‘boiling’ about, not a prayer.
Physically and emotionally abused in Christian homes.

You need to be accurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
So what do you suggest is the answer? Do we invade homes and start making laws against Christianity? Then what’s next? You start by taking religious freedom - then what else? Who decides? How long before someone wants you?

If your grandchild was afraid and in tears, then it’s up to you (or the parents) to guide, teach and console him. I certainly don’t agree with the concept (and understand how a kid could be frightened by it),but I also think most Christian parents aren’t hovering over the kid, demanding he say the prayer through tears. If so, it’s not a question of religion, it could be a question of abuse (which is another topic).

There are many kids being physically and emotionally abused (and neglected) in their homes. Those are the issues I am ‘boiling’ about, not a prayer.
What if the parents are the ones telling the child God will torture him if he doesn't go along with whatever Church because that's what the Church told them? I think it's going to come down to education. We could also work to apply laws to churches the same way we apply laws to individuals or other groups. This would fall under terroristic threats if taught by the Church. Churches handing out medical advice sghould be able to be sued by the family if someone dies because of it. No one loses their rights but those in power might lose some $$$. Let's see what's most important to them.
I agree that we shouldn't go tinkering with an individuals right to believe but we should have jurisdiction over what a corporation is allowed to tell people.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What if the parents are the ones telling the child God will torture him if he doesn't go along with whatever Church because that's what the Church told them? I think it's going to come down to education. We could also work to apply laws to churches the same way we apply laws to individuals or other groups. This would fall under terroristic threats if taught by the Church. Churches handing out medical advice sghould be able to be sued by the family if someone dies because of it. No one loses their rights but those in power might lose some $$$. Let's see what's most important to them.
I agree that we shouldn't go tinkering with an individuals right to believe but we should have jurisdiction over what a corporation is allowed to tell people.
There’s a difference between a criminal act of abuse and teaching a child principles of any religion. You may not see it that way, but the law does.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
There’s a difference between a criminal act of abuse and teaching a child principles of any religion. You may not see it that way, but the law does.
Do you think that law should be changed? I'm not talking about getting into people's personal business and telling them what to believe. I'm talking about a church telling people that God wants them to deny medical treatment or they will be punished. Shouldn't that church be open to action by the injured parties? I'm talking about a church telling people that God will send them to hell if they don't buy their product. Shouldn't there be a remedy for people injured by that? If these holymen really believe they have Gods blessing then God will provide and they should keep preaching the same message. If they tailor their message to be more profitable then everyone wins anyway.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Horse pucky.

You are excusing the things that are taught to young, impressionable children as acceptable. It is the religion that is being taught, the religion that teaches, stresses, pounds into people, that they will eternally suffer and burn in hell, in a lake of fire. There is no thought given as to how this may impact their own children, or in this case, my grandson. The parents involved were probably brought up the same way, so they think they are doing the right thing by indoctrinating their children in this toxic belief system. The parents were taught they need to indoctrinate their children early. It is the religion at fault.

If you want to have religion, fine. I don't care if you as an adult want to believe in some sort of magical thinking. But the moment your fantasies about your beliefs start impacting others, children or not, the line gets draw as a hard stop.

Keep your thoughts in your head, and if you really need community, go to your place of worship. But children? Not until they are at least 18. You do damage you have no idea of otherwise.
your not keeping your thoughts private, why should I?

and no, i don't excuse it. In fact, I hate that teaching myself.

i merely said my kids cried about a monster under the bed too.

I said, you have a crying grand kid. I said that we have people sending kids to religious schools because the public school system has been destroyed in my area. what type of people have been running our schools in the north east USA over the last 25 years?

and, to be clear, i hate that teaching myself.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Do you think that law should be changed? I'm not talking about getting into people's personal business and telling them what to believe. I'm talking about a church telling people that God wants them to deny medical treatment or they will be punished. Shouldn't that church be open to action by the injured parties? I'm talking about a church telling people that God will send them to hell if they don't buy their product. Shouldn't there be a remedy for people injured by that? If these holymen really believe they have Gods blessing then God will provide and they should keep preaching the same message. If they tailor their message to be more profitable then everyone wins anyway.
yeah, this tough.

I do not want the government teaching morals but religion zealots scare the no-bajesus out of me.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I really don't have an answer. I mean if there is one area I am stumped in its this one.

we need accountability. Its human. how do we get it?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, this tough.

I do not want the government teaching morals but religion zealots scare the no-bajesus out of me.
I think there will, at some point in time, be accountability for these corporations. They're already getting into trouble for hiding pedophiles even though they cite religious reasons for doing so.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I think there will, at some point in time, be accountability for these corporations. They're already getting into trouble for hiding pedophiles even though they cite religious reasons for doing so.
I know one thing ... The religious people I know want at them pedophiles. They even say they can ware them robes and hold onto that cross while they do work.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:

Really? It's up to my grandson's parents to console him? Of course they did, many times.

But the responsibility of the cause of his distress is the fundamental, magical thinking and indoctrination of a belief system of other children, who tell him stories of burning in a hell, and tell him because he doesn't believe in a god, he is doomed. The abuse is the indoctrination of these children by religion. Have all the freedom of religion you want, but the moment your religion impacts me or others, in this case my grandson, your freedom of religion has gone too far, is out of bounds, and needs to be curtailed.

Full stop. I don't care if your a Muslim, Christian or jungle medicine shaman. When your beliefs cause others stress, you are the responsible one, no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality