Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-27-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

I believe in a higher power. I just don't believe in the pagan god, yahweh or Jesus Christ, man/god. I used to but after studying the matter on the Internet I realized I had been duped by clever Christian marketing. I turned my back on Christianity 7 years ago and have never regretted it for one day. My life is guilt-free, and I save lots of money from not tithing anymore.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I believe in a higher power. I just don't believe in the pagan god, yahweh or Jesus Christ, man/god. I used to but after studying the matter on the Internet I realized I had been duped by clever Christian marketing. I turned my back on Christianity 7 years ago and have never regretted it for one day. My life is guilt-free, and I save lots of money from not tithing anymore.
I COMPLETELY get your viewpoint, and am not curious why you are posting here. This forum isn't about Christianity - but about exploring spirituality, and a higher power, and curiosity about that.

It's totally understandable why you're posting here.

;D

Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
I'm working on recovery from spiritual abuse. I grew up in a high control group so I don't find this topic all that interesting as some might. It was all stick and no carrot for this girl. So over the people claiming to know something they can't. Yeah, we all have our OPINIONS don't we?

I had some really messed up notions about what a Christian was implanted in my mind by the Watchtower. They told me anyone that wasn't in their group was a watered down Christian, other people didn't follow the Bible and all that. I still actually believed this group was the closest thing to real Christianity there was. Things just weren't adding up and I had to be able to look through my own eyes. No surprised they BSed their way through that too.

I like going to the Christian sub form and asking questions I was never allowed to ask as a kid. In my group they told you want to think and if you got out of line you were herded back in and it wasn't pretty. I was publicly shamed for taking an award at school, that's how bad it was. It really helped me to see the message of the Bible for what it said to me and not someone else. The Watchtower implanted phobia in my head as well and I needed something to counteract that. Since they used the Bible to destroy me I used it to fix me.

I like hanging out with the atheists on this board because they have good logic skills. I've learned to undo some of the damage done to my mind by the way I was trained by the Watchtower.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm working on recovery from spiritual abuse. I grew up in a high control group so I don't find this topic all that interesting as some might. It was all stick and no carrot for this girl. So over the people claiming to know something they can't. Yeah, we all have our OPINIONS don't we?

I had some really messed up notions about what a Christian was implanted in my mind by the Watchtower. They told me anyone that wasn't in their group was a watered down Christian, other people didn't follow the Bible and all that. I still actually believed this group was the closest thing to real Christianity there was. Things just weren't adding up and I had to be able to look through my own eyes. No surprised they BSed their way through that too.

I like going to the Christian sub form and asking questions I was never allowed to ask as a kid. In my group they told you want to think and if you got out of line you were herded back in and it wasn't pretty. I was publicly shamed for taking an award at school, that's how bad it was. It really helped me to see the message of the Bible for what it said to me and not someone else. The Watchtower implanted phobia in my head as well and I needed something to counteract that. Since they used the Bible to destroy me I used it to fix me.

I like hanging out with the atheists on this board because they have good logic skills. I've learned to undo some of the damage done to my mind by the way I was trained by the Watchtower.
I get it. And I have a special respect for your postings, L8.

I'm still wondering about posters who fully reject any inference to a higher power, and they come here to deride people who have some belief in a higher power, with no questions whatsoever.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?
Why do you feel atheists or agnostics cannot be spiritual?

Last edited by TroutDude; 02-27-2019 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Thanks

Old 02-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Why do feel atheists or agnostics cannot be spiritual?
You tell me. I'm actually VERY curious. I suspect you missed the word "you" in your question?

No, I didn't think atheists and agnostics thought there was a spiritual world. (I'm not talking moral, or ethical, which I completely agree atheists can achieve). What are you talking about, that atheists can do that is "spiritual"? I'm honestly curious.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:37 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:

This has been answered repeatedly, but let's try it one more time.

1. There's also a sub-forum on christianity. If that's what you want to discuss, why not go there?

2. One can be interested in a topic, while not being directly involved in the topic. I'm interested in the Civil War. But I'm not a Civil War soldier.

3. There's a lot more to "spirituality" than just christianity.

4. Thank you for comparing us to rodents.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,007,717 times
Quote:
I get it. And I have a special respect for your postings, L8.

I'm still wondering about posters who fully reject any inference to a higher power, and they come here to deride people who have some belief in a higher power, with no questions whatsoever.
Because some of them, if not all, would prefer for others to share in their same worldview or to at least guarantee them you will not vote based on your religious convictions. Also, some feel they have been mistreated or maligned by someone, somewhere with religious affiliations and here they can take it out strangers whereas IRL perhaps they've had to bite their tongues.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
You tell me. I'm actually VERY curious. I suspect you missed the word "you" in your question?

No, I didn't think atheists and agnostics thought there was a spiritual world. (I'm not talking moral, or ethical, which I completely agree atheists can achieve). What are you talking about, that atheists can do that is "spiritual"? I'm honestly curious.
Thanks for the edit.

The men in the following clip are all scientists and, as far as I know, atheists.

But I believe they understand and embrace spirituality.

It doesn't ALL come from a pastiche of primitive pamphlets collated and dubbed "the bible."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality