Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 05:31 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I must say, my first thought was...the gospel started out with this 'good news'...and then all
the disciples were killed
That has always seemed odd to me. Yeah, follow Jesus and be imprisoned in filthy dungeons
and then killed brutally!
That is odd to most here, isn't it?
I am wondering where is says that ALL the disciples were killed_______
True, Christians would be hated as per Matthew 10:22, but that does Not mean all killed.
Satan challenges everyone: 'Touch our flesh' ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God - Job 2:4-5.
Both Job and Jesus, under adverse conditions, proved Satan a liar and so can we.
The reward is: resurrection. Going to be brought back to live life again - Acts 24:15 there is going to be a resurrection......
Do consider: the great crowd of people of Rev. 7:9 are saved (delivered / rescued) through the coming ' great tribulation ' of Rev. 7:14
So, Not dead but living people, to be alive on Earth right into the start of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth.
This is when even ' enemy death ' will be No more as per 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 05:39 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Has anyone else ever wondered if the gospels were intended to show how the story of Jesus and his followers began as one thing, but evolved into something else
At Jesus' baptism he began his ministry.
The theme of Jesus teaching was the good news (Gospel) of God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44; Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
The Jews were giving the first choice - Luke 4:43
Then, the way was opened up for the Samaritans.
Followed by opening up the way for the people of the gentile nations. Starting with Cornelius .
To me, that was Not necessarily evolving but how Christianity progressed.
So, just as Jesus said the gospel good news about God's kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus would be proclaimed world wide, and that is just as it is being done today on a grand international scale as never before in history.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think he inspired most of them. Perhaps not James and Revelation. The others, though. And apart from 'I saw Satan fall like lightning' I never saw anything that struck me as even a slight joke. Though I find much of it hilarious, Like the descending angel and Shekel -eating fish. But that's not much to do with Paul. Though in a way it is, as the 'Shekel -eating Fish' is, or so I guess, is about Christians being exempt from paying the temple tax (which was still collected after it had been destroyed).
As far as humor, you didn't think it was funny when James and John tried to get their MOTHER to convince Jesus to be at his right and left side during his time of glory? A Jewish mother. Think about it.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What I get from all this is that there are one thousand and one theories about how the gospels came about and who brought them about. Most of us have our own pet theory about how they evolved, when they evolved and who evolved them. Others like Thoreau are cocksure about how they got here and won't entertain any other theory except their own. Such arrogance demonstrated by Thoreau is a gigantic example of what is wrong with Christianity today. But all we can really do is sympathize with Thoreau by saying, "Of course you're certain this is how it happened, poor baby. That's what you were programmed to believe from the cradle."
Indeed. I have my own 'theory' and so far as i know, nobody else is arguing that - not a single Bible authority. There's also a Pet Theory' but one or two people believe that, too (The failed messiah).

Old 02-24-2019, 01:50 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
I must say, my first thought was...the gospel started out with this 'good news'...and then all
the disciples were killed.

That has always seemed odd to me. Yeah, follow Jesus and be imprisoned in filthy dungeons
and then killed brutally!

That is odd to most here, isn't it?
The "good news" they (60% or more of Christians) were telling the pagans was "convert or you'll go to hell." It's not much of a wonder where the "brutality" would be cultured, especially given that the pagans respected "traditional, well-established religions" far more than "new cults and sects redistributing value (money, meat "sacrifices") in new ways."

"Dying for your religion" was not unknown at the time either.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
At least one gospel writer, Luke, told in his narrative why he wrote it:

Dedication to Theophilus
Quote:
Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught
Luke 1: 1-4

1. Apparently there were “many” attempting to compile narratives, but, Luke, a doctor, felt a more orderly account be provided.
2. Luke had been following the progress of these narratives for awhile. He didn’t fly into a whirlwind of activity, he listened to the stories and read various narratives.
3. This gospel was intended to boost the faith of one man, Luke’s friend, Theophilus.

None of the gospels were meant to be woven as a single narrative. Each used other written narratives and restructured those narratives and probably added to them to best affect a particular audience. In Luke’s case, his bud, Theophilus.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The twelve disciple and apostles were chosen by God right from the beginning to spread the good news of the gospel because Jesus would not survive in the flesh in the earth .... The good news was that salvation came through Jesus Christ who gave His life as a judgment for God for all men and woman ......... If some churches which don`t spread the gospel today are out of sync. with God and would have no power from God .

Old 02-24-2019, 05:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I am wondering where is says that ALL the disciples were killed_______
I forgot I was on a forum where things are so nit-picked for perfect accuracy and pointed out.

Sorry. My bad.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
I forgot I was on a forum where things are so nit-picked for perfect accuracy and pointed out.

Sorry. My bad.
But your original point is still profound. It's something I had never even thought of. How is it "good news" if all that happens afterwards is violence?

Christians really need to examine this story. It's a political story in many ways.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The "good news" they (60% or more of Christians) were telling the pagans was "convert or you'll go to hell."
And it seems in the 11th-13thc, ( almost to the 14thc!), if you didn't convert you would be killed by a swordsman on horseback destroying your family and village as you were picking herbs in the field.

Thanks Ozzy...this story line throughout the Bible makes one scratch one's head...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-24-2019 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality