U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 4,548,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't want to interfere with these poetic descriptions, but to inject some science. Light exists in the measurable EM spectrum and our consciousness (Spirit) exists in the unmeasurable EM spectrum. Food for thought.
I think what you meant was "visible EM spectrum" or "so far measured EM spectrum"

Never say never, no need to be so drab and hopeless. Everything that exists has measures. That is the mark and nature of existence. Nothingness is one thing immeasurable. As is imagination when taken to that extent.

There is nothing proposed that would have to force disembodied consciousness to always remain unmeasured or the FSM to lack a sense of good-natured humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So if light is associated with God as OP stated, you being an Atheists feel what when it comes to theological state of mind? In a state of darkness. I suppose?
Yes, much like they may think that Islam was (up to before the Arab Springs) in it's Dark Ages. Perhaps it will remain so?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thought I'd toss in...according to quantum physics we are 99.99999% empty space.
Hope that messes with people's minds tonight.
That would include the Sun, the moon, the Earth, a diamond, and a pile of dung.
Now, let's think, how dense is/are God(s) and the Heaven(s) that it(they) and the (as such) luckily preknown inhabit?

Yes, "dense" was a pun. Some perfect and imperfect beings might have strong or weak (depending on your point of view) senses of humor.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 2,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But I thought Shivalinga is the, excuse my french, penis of some Hindu god? no?

No, this is not mentioned anywhere in the Vedas, which is the supreme authority in Hinduism. The Vedas, especially Atharva Veda, describe the Shivalinga as a cosmic pillar of light.

Some in the tantric sect, misinterpreted the Shivalinga as the phallus in its literature in support of its philosophy of the left-handed path, and that is how this version gained currency amongst some people due to ignorance of the foundational Vedic teachings.

The Hindu saint and scholar Swami Vivekananda, talks about this misinterpretation of the Shivalingam in this article.

Many other misinterpretations and superstitious practices of this sort had also arisen like sati(widow burning), casteism, untouchability and other practices which had no basis in the Vedas, and Hindu religious reformers like Rajaram Mohan Roy and Swami Dayananda Saraswati were instrumental in eliminating such negativities that had cropped up with time.

Last edited by Ajay0; 02-26-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM

14,326 posts, read 11,525,564 times
Oh, how I hope this doesn't turn into a talk on the cosmic sword of light!!!!! Sorry, 'pillar.'..
I'll leave 'sword' for the Star Wars crowd.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

6,062 posts, read 1,949,951 times
My sources confirm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDaKmw_JlY

Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 2,495 times
Quote:
Oh, how I hope this doesn't turn into a talk on the cosmic sword of light!!!!! Sorry, 'pillar.'..
I'll leave 'sword' for the Star Wars crowd.

Yeah, this is an insightful statement, Miss Hepburn.

There is a saying of Thomas Jefferson in this regard...

"The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 AM

116 posts, read 30,694 times
Quote:
I'm not being rude...but you believe their descriptions?
These may be the same people that called a comet a chariot in the sky, see what I mean?

I am wondering if we should ask who has seen this Divine Light that is God?
Otherwise, it may be all coming from others' interpretations of what thy are seeing on earth...
the burning bush... is a good example....meditators and NDErs are the people to ask.
I have been doing meditation for nearly 50 years and have been seeing/experiencing the 'inner light'.
During this time my beliefs have varied from strong theism to non-theism during these years; however the experience has always been there.
i.e the experience never depended of my belief(s).

Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM

6,062 posts, read 1,949,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
I have been doing meditation for nearly 50 years and have been seeing/experiencing the 'inner light'.
During this time my beliefs have varied from strong theism to non-theism during these years; however the experience has always been there.
i.e the experience never depended of my belief(s).
I'm interested in if you labeled that inner light differently as a theist than a non theist. Did you call it the same thing the whole time such as "inner light".

Old 03-02-2019, 12:55 PM

116 posts, read 30,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm interested in if you labeled that inner light differently as a theist than a non theist. Did you call it the same thing the whole time such as "inner light".
Yes.
I believed that this light is seeing God within.

This was mainly because that is how it was presented to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or