Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Well in my view, WE are embryonic cells of God, not separate beings.

And I would say we are both....even if being individual beings is an illusion....and when
we realize fully who we are the illusion disappears.
Oh, again it reminds me of the book, 'The Disappearance of the Universe'.
When we 'awake', my word, we don't wake up from the Illusion, we step out of the Illusion...
*poof*...Universe is gone for us...we are in a whole different place, system, side, realm, dimension...

Gosh, Walt Disney and Gene Roddenberry really were connected to cosmic information!!
And Isaac Asimov ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, Matthew, it's been rare that I've ever seen even christians tell us exactly how god thinks and acts.
In order to have free-will choices one would have to have voluntary choices.
Voluntary choice is brought out at Leviticus 1:3; Leviticus 7:16; Numbers 15 3 B; Exodus 35:21-22,29
Plus, we are Not programmed to drink from life's water free, that is by choice.
So, to me it is Not Christians telling exactly how God thinks and acts but it is by using written Scripture.
Jesus' half-brother James wrote each person is drawn out by his or her own desires - James 1:13-15

Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Well in my view, WE are embryonic cells of God, not separate beings.
And I would say we are both....even if being individual beings is an illusion....and when
we realize fully who we are the illusion disappears.
Oh, again it reminds me of the book, 'The Disappearance of the Universe'.
When we 'awake', my word, we don't wake up from the Illusion, we step out of the Illusion...
*poof*...Universe is gone for us...we are in a whole different place, system, side, realm, dimension...
Gosh, Walt Disney and Gene Roddenberry really were connected to cosmic information!!
And Isaac Asimov ...
I find the Disappearance of the Universe is fiction compared to Scripture.
Scripture let us know at Ecclesiastes 1:4 B that the Earth abides forever.
God will see to it by His great power that Earth will always be renewed as per Psalm 104:30.
The foundations of the Earth will Not be removed as per Psalm 104:5
There is No expiration date for Earth - Psalm 119:90
Earth is stable and will Not be removed - 1st Chronicles 16:30
What will be removed are rat-like wicked people who will be destroyed forever as per Psalm 92:7.
Rather, than the universe disappearing it will keep on expanding being stretched out - Jeremiah 10:12; 32:17.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Except you mentioned the scale of influence individually is limited - which is really nothing more than saying ‘more people united toward a common goal can cause more change’. Well, yeah - that’s rather obvious! How does God or prayer even enter into that equation, then?
Well, now that you mention it........

One of my ornery clients was having a particularly bad day last week and ranted on for 20 minutes non stop about how he hates Hispanics, we need a wall....blah blah blah He made the point that the illegal kids come over, eat for free in the schools that we pay for...... (or as he said "YOU pay for because I am the one of the two of us who works)

So after I let him finish, and got him into a better place and moved on

I saw this thread today.
Yes, my taxes pay for free lunches at schools for needy kids. I am glad they have that service. The big problem we have is that these same kids do not eat in the summer. Many come from single parent homes and the mom or dad is working, and they have limited resources.
SO who pays for that? I do. And a lot of other people too. We buy food, take it to the school offices, and the kids can come into the local school during the summer, and get a weeks worth of breakfast and lunch free, so long as they are already getting free or subsidized meals at school.

I am happy to help out. I wish I could do more. And no, I do not waste time praying. I can be working, making money, and it is MY money and I can choose how to spend it. And I choose to spend some of it on starving kids.

I made mention of this story years ago in the cooking thread, but my MIL who is a Southern Baptist would come to visit in the summer. She took offense that kids from the neighborhood ate lunch and dinner with us. Especially on Wednesdays, which was Pizza Night at the Cat's house (NOT the CATHOUSE!) The kids who hung out with my sons knew that they had an open invitation to eat here, and their parents knew as well. But for some reason unknown, old lady Southern Baptist could not stand the idea of sharing food with others. Funny...the atheist is the one looking out for other kid's well being. And this is NOT a poor neighborhood.
We lived in a poor neighborhood and many times I gave food and meals to people in that neighborhood because they could not get it, usually due to a disability. I never thought of it as anything other than the right thing to do. You see a human who is hungry, you help them get something to eat.

I wonder how many of these people who boast about praying for starving kids ever send food or money to a local food bank or organization that actually helps out? I do;t mean scam organizations like Many Missionaries to Africa run, or scam groups like the Hunger Project.....I mean groups like Feeding America or Meals on Wheels....

Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

One of my ornery clients was having a particularly bad day last week and ranted on for 20 minutes non stop about how he hates Hispanics, we need a wall....blah blah blah He made the point that the illegal kids come over, eat for free in the schools that we pay for...... (or as he said "YOU pay for because I am the one of the two of us who works)

I saw this thread today.
Yes, my taxes pay for free lunches at schools for needy kids. I am glad they have that service. The big problem we have is that these same kids do not eat in the summer. Many come from single parent homes and the mom or dad is working, and they have limited resources.
SO who pays for that? I do. And a lot of other people too. We buy food, take it to the school offices, and the kids can come into the local school during the summer, and get a weeks worth of breakfast and lunch free, so long as they are already getting free or subsidized meals at school.

I am happy to help out. I wish I could do more. And no, I do not waste time praying. I can be working, making money, and it is MY money and I can choose how to spend it. And I choose to spend some of it on starving kids.

I made mention of this story years ago in the cooking thread, but my MIL who is a Southern Baptist would come to visit in the summer. She took offense that kids from the neighborhood ate lunch and dinner with us. Especially on Wednesdays, which was Pizza Night at the Cat's house (NOT the CATHOUSE!) The kids who hung out with my sons knew that they had an open invitation to eat here, and their parents knew as well. But for some reason unknown, old lady Southern Baptist could not stand the idea of sharing food with others. Funny...the atheist is the one looking out for other kid's well being. And this is NOT a poor neighborhood.
We lived in a poor neighborhood and many times I gave food and meals to people in that neighborhood because they could not get it, usually due to a disability. I never thought of it as anything other than the right thing to do. You see a human who is hungry, you help them get something to eat.

I wonder how many of these people who boast about praying for starving kids ever send food or money to a local food bank or organization that actually helps out? I do;t mean scam organizations like Many Missionaries to Africa run, or scam groups like the Hunger Project.....I mean groups like Feeding America or Meals on Wheels....
Have you seen this? I watched it last night on Nexflix and OMG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUpNv9uNSI

Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:

I saw this thread today.
Why are you discussing your clients in a public forum?

Old 02-26-2019, 12:22 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
So you are saying, in essence, we are all God (and not separate). That is really nothing more than a creative way of saying we control our own lives and are responsible for our own resolution to world hunger (and prayer is useless), which is my point. You are defining God as energy - which is nothing more than our conscience.
I am always surprised when truly complex notions are so cavalierly dismissed as "nothing more than." As the producers of sentience within God, we are the locus of both motive and action on this earth for those "energies" we label as "love, mercy, compassion, kindness, justice, etc." But that also means we are the locus of those energies we label as "hate, cruelty, vengeance, injustice, greed, jealousy, etc." Those "energies" are in the province of God because they are Spirit (consciousness) and God IS Spirit. We are supposed to produce what we call "Holy Spirit" which encompasses the former list of "energies."

Old 02-26-2019, 12:27 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am always surprised when truly complex notions are so cavalierly dismissed as "nothing more than." As the producers of sentience within God, we are the locus of both motive and action on this earth for those "energies" we label as "love, mercy, compassion, kindness, justice, etc." But that also means we are the locus of those energies we label as "hate, cruelty, vengeance, injustice, greed, jealousy, etc." Those "energies" are in the province of God because they are Spirit (consciousness) and God IS Spirit. We are supposed to produce what we call "Holy Spirit" which encompasses the former list of "energies."
But my comment was specifically in response to your answers you gave about prayer (and how it requires numbers), not a God or energy discussion in general (which is why I dismissed it). You stated the power of 7+ billion people required to make a change through numbers - that prayer is about numbers, not individuals. My point is, of course, 7 billion people united in anything can make a difference that is measurable, but it has nothing to do with the ‘answering’ prayer question, specifically - unless, of course, your original answer still stands (7 billion people are needed to answer prayers, or at least more than 1 or 2?) Complex notions do not answer the question!

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-26-2019 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:

I saw this thread today.

Thank you for all that you do. Thank you for just being you.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:27 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Thank you for all that you do. Thank you for just being you.
The KingCat is a marvelous human being for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality