Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times

Advertisements

But my response was based on my belief in God and In Jesus Christ and in the Bible. For I have been taught thru the Word that murder is wrong. SO, no my friend, my answer was totally based on my belief.

As far as singing to the Choir, my job as a Christian is to first believe and then to obey. I spread the gospel, and if anyone wants to determine it is singing to the choir, that is their business and not my concern. My belief is that God takes it from there, softening hearts that will receive Him, my job is not to convert, pacify or be politically correct, just simply spreading the gospel and if that is thru my belief that abortion is wrong based on my concept of Biblical teaching, so be it. It is not my job to force people to believe or even to listen. All will be judged, including myself, before the Throne and all have to face whatever consequences our actions have led us to face.

Oh, and to me it is not a religious issue. Religion is a man made society that can regrettably leave God out of the mix.

Mine is a Christian issue, and as Christ is in me and my actions are based on how I believe I cannot in truth answer without my Christianity being involved.

Sure I could answer without bringing in God, but why should I have to do so? It would be a lie to myself and I would be a hypocrite. I can no more deny how I feel towards God than I can deny myself the next breath. It is WHO I am. and sincerely, I hope you do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to start something, just explaining how I view the world and all that it encompasses. I have to be true to me and the me involves Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM

50 posts, read 336,119 times
I wonder though, regardless of your beliefs, we couldn't agree as a practical matter that banning it outright at this stage would achieve nothing but chaos--it's been legal now for 35 years (longer in some states), and even before it was "legal" was still commonly practiced by those who had unwanted pregnancies. You could achieve our same goal--the elimination or significant reduction of abortion--by comprehensive sex education and the aggressive provision of birth control to those most likely to have abortions. The problem is people against abortion are often against all forms of premarital sex, and refuse to compromise on this issue. At some point what is more important, the vast reduction of what you consider murder or the implementation of your value set on others? Almost everyone agrees that abortion is not a great outcome; we all differ on matters of sexual morality--so let's start with where we all agree and go from there.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
2 wrongs don't make a right.
but maybe,
just 1 wrong is 1/2 right

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I am still young enough to understand that a teenager--male or female--can no more control those urges than to breathe (boy I bring breathing in a lot LOL).

I understand that today's society is geared to ensure the younger generation have no qualms about sex and/or their bodies.

It is tough on Christians, of all ages to live in such a society, but live in it we must and we have to find that balance in order to reach out to those we may be able to help.

I do not like the fact that so many could and would go back to those back-door abortions. That has always sickened me. And I believe it happened because of a straight laced un-bending time in Christian thinking.

Believe me, I come from a very small southern town, I know all about how that thinking goes on and how a young girl can and did become ostricized from a mishap and become pregnant. I know that they would rather risk such a horrid procedure than to face these people and be forever known as an outcast.

But, I do believe that true Christians who are awakening from the 'religious' hold are holding true to Christ. And Christ forgave, which is a needed thing for all of us.

Think, if that strict society would have taught forgiveness, and helped to teach and love these young women, there would have been no need for those horrid abortions to begin with. There could have been some type of system to get these children adopted to loving families that could not have kids.

I understand fully the old way of thinking and do not agree with it any more than I do with abortion. Sin is wrong, yes, but we all fall short of the grace of God and who are we to Judge a young woman who gets pregnant? It is a sin, just like any other sin, and it is our job to point that out without condemning. It is our job to teach and love and help someone learn so they do not keep repeating their sins. And this goes for all of us regardless of what sin we commit.

I simply believe those religious zelots (yes I used that word) took out their own guilt on the poor souls they condemned so heatedly.

I hope this is making sense. I still believe abortion is wrong, but if the Christian person instead of the religious person could establish and erase what the religious community drilled into our culture, we would see abortion go away.

In my view, it was a way to conceal a sin, and one sin does not conceal another. Yet, I believe the strictness of religious thinking forced this sin on these poor children and gave them a feeling of no other way out.

If Christ is taught through love, and religion taken out, then this feeling of no other way out will be history.

One can be taught that sin is wrong without being made to feel as if there is no hope. Christ teachings can be taught so people understand that sin is human nature and it is not the end of the world when we sin, if we sincerely try to overcome and learn in order not to repeat that sin.

I imagine those young girls thought the elders who brought so much wrath down on them never sinned, were perfect which added to the burden of their guilt.

This is a new day. This is how I am teaching my children. Yes, sin is wrong, but if our heart is right we will be forgiven by our Father. I teach my children that I love them, and forgive them because I am not perfect either. My children are very open with me, and we can discuss anything that comes up. It is the relationship that was established in love and trust that makes this possible. I am not a weak parent, just ask 'em! But I am human to them, and they are allowed to see my mistakes and how I handle them which is the best teaching I can give them.

Ok, this is going ot and I will stop now. Just trying to allow you to see why I feel as I do.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
But my response was based on my belief in God and In Jesus Christ and in the Bible. For I have been taught thru the Word that murder is wrong. SO, no my friend, my answer was totally based on my belief.

As far as singing to the Choir, my job as a Christian is to first believe and then to obey. I spread the gospel, and if anyone wants to determine it is singing to the choir, that is their business and not my concern. My belief is that God takes it from there, softening hearts that will receive Him, my job is not to convert, pacify or be politically correct, just simply spreading the gospel and if that is thru my belief that abortion is wrong based on my concept of Biblical teaching, so be it. It is not my job to force people to believe or even to listen. All will be judged, including myself, before the Throne and all have to face whatever consequences our actions have led us to face.

Oh, and to me it is not a religious issue. Religion is a man made society that can regrettably leave God out of the mix.

Mine is a Christian issue, and as Christ is in me and my actions are based on how I believe I cannot in truth answer without my Christianity being involved.

Sure I could answer without bringing in God, but why should I have to do so? It would be a lie to myself and I would be a hypocrite. I can no more deny how I feel towards God than I can deny myself the next breath. It is WHO I am. and sincerely, I hope you do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to start something, just explaining how I view the world and all that it encompasses. I have to be true to me and the me involves Christ.
Who's asking you to deny anything? There is no sense talking to you anymore. You'll just go on and on in the same vein. As as rapturous as it might be for you it's really dull and unstimulating for the listener. Too bad, we agreed on abortion but you can only speak to
the choir. Take good care.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Who's asking you to deny anything? There is no sense talking to you anymore. You'll just go on and on in the same vein. As as rapturous as it might be for you it's really dull and unstimulating for the listener. Too bad, we agreed on abortion but you can only speak to
the choir. Take good care.

You are so right. There is no sense in asking me to deny who I am , and I will go on in the same vein. I am so very sorry you find it dull and unstimulating, but there might be a choir member out there that needs to hear what I am saying so I will continue to do so.

I do hope you have a blessed day today. said with total sincerity

Old 05-14-2008, 06:11 PM

28 posts, read 76,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Personally, I don't believe it's a big deal. If someone doesn't want to have a baby, alright, let it go.

But, what's the big hold up and why does it need to be illegal?
EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH IT

Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. You can't have the last two without the first one. You must protect all three of those rights. That is why I'm totally against abortion.

Just for the record, I'm an atheist and my views are not inspired by any religion.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Why choose abortion, when there is adoption?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Why choose abortion, when there is adoption?
I agree with you on this point. I have a friend who has successfully impregnated his girlfriend 3 times in the last 4 years, and they have aborted every time. I think it is totally selfish for these 2 to continue to do the same things over and over and never deal with the real consequences of their actions. At the very least, she could keep the child long enough to give it to someone who really wants him/her. And there are no consequences for what they are doing. That is my real problem with abortion. Kids and adults alike use it like a fall back so that they can do anything they please sexually and not have any consequence. If a woman was raped or abused and became pregnant, I think I can understand why she might not want to carry that child. But other than that and maybe threat to the mother's life, I can think of no good reason abortion is needed. And people can say what they want, it is MURDER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality