U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 11,398,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Edit: Can you define what you mean by spiritual?
Fair, enough...mine would be simple:
believing in the unseen or The Unseen.

There are those that are not necessarily overtly 'spiritual acting' like we are used to...say,
'doing good works, talkin' the talk, wanting union with God, seeking Self-realization, praying,
meditating, seeking Heaven and so on, but, believe in fairies, spirits talking to them, out of body exps, astral projection...they believe in the unseen...I think they are 'spiritual', too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:33 AM

5,913 posts, read 1,906,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Fair, enough...mine would be simple:
believing in the unseen or The Unseen.

There are those that are not necessarily overtly 'spiritual acting' like we are used to...say,
'doing good works, talkin' the talk, wanting union with God, seeking Self-realization, praying,
meditating, seeking Heaven and so on, but, believe in fairies, spirits talking to them, out of body exps, astral projection...they believe in the unseen...I think they are 'spiritual', too.
I define it this way:

relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

I think our opinions, personalities, how we relate to the world, compassion are all non material so that's what I think of when someone is referencing a human spirit.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; Today at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Can't rep you yet

Old Today, 09:46 AM

15,692 posts, read 7,880,009 times
Quote:
I define it this way:

relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

I think our opinions, personalities, how we relate to the world, compassion are all non material so that's what I think of when someone is referencing a human spirit.
I really like that, L8. And it's why I always think we should be able to find common ground. We all want [our spirit] to thrive and this seems like the right forum for the kind of discussions that could be beneficial toward that end.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

8,048 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?
This question has been asked many times; one such thread is current. So if your above statement is truthful, you could have your honest curiosity satisfied by reading that thread.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

3,101 posts, read 5,646,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Spin it how you want but someone that doesn't believe in the existence of gods is atheist; someone that does believe in the existence of gods is theist and those that believe that there is not enough evidence to conclude either way are agnostic.
Hopefully it wasn't lost on you that the way you defined 1 and 3 were exactly the same except that #3 provides the why that I discussed in very first post. Thank you for confirming that post. Maybe that'll help you understand the linguistic irony here. There's no spin here. Words have meaning. Atheism only means without theism.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

3,944 posts, read 1,453,252 times
Quote:
Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?
I think, for the Atheists it will be very boring if Atheists would just keep on posting in the Atheists forum only.

And perhaps it also has got something to do with human psychology and human nature.
As Dr. Moriarty tells Sherlock Holmes,

“Hidden within the subconscious, there is an insatiable desire of a conflict”.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

8,048 posts, read 4,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think, for the Atheists it will be very boring if Atheists would just keep on posting in the Atheists forum only.

And perhaps it also has got something to do with human psychology and human nature.
As Dr. Moriarty tells Sherlock Holmes,

“Hidden within the subconscious, there is an insatiable desire of a conflict”.
I should think you frequent A&A often enough to notice that it has plenty of conflict.

Old Today, 11:50 AM

3,944 posts, read 1,453,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I should think you frequent A&A often enough to notice that it has plenty of conflict.
You can think whatever you wish. There is no ban on thinking.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

20,495 posts, read 9,629,670 times
Quote:
I don't see how. In my experience, if you can't see it/touch it/taste it/feel it/hear it, atheists don't believe in it.

And I don't see how you can prove reincarnation, except by faith, in that that is unseen, but still felt in a spiritual way.

It's the same faith as seeing signs, or miracles, and believing in them that atheists would call coincidences.
Feeling something "in a spiritual way" is unsatisfactory because not everyone will have that same experience.

No, you can't prove reincarnation. Period.
No, you can't prove miracles. Period.

And frankly, religionists need to accept that and get over it.

Old Today, 11:58 AM

20,495 posts, read 9,629,670 times
Quote:
Most atheists seem like they appreciate that there are things beyond our capabilities to understand. They may forever be beyond our reach. Atheist are just less likely to go putting a name on those things until we have more info.
Yes. There are things we don't know, and possibly never will know. But we don't have that automatic fallback position of well, it must be god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or