U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

8,626 posts, read 10,439,019 times

Advertisements

Either God exists or He does not. If He exists, he is not some ambiguous, "higher power" formulated between the ears of people ... to help them feel 'spiritual.' If He does not exist, then no amount of belief in a 'higher power' has any meaning, beyond one's own philosophy of life.

IMO, the reason so many focus on a "higher power" is because Almighty, creator "God has created everyone with an inborn knowledge of His eternal power and deity." One cannot hold this type of belief and still remain in full control of life. Although deniable, the inner knowledge (sometimes referred to as a 'God-shaped vacuum' or a conscience), is inescapable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

24,674 posts, read 12,777,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Either God exists or He does not. If He exists, he is not some ambiguous, "higher power" formulated between the ears of people ... to help them feel 'spiritual.' If He does not exist, then no amount of belief in a 'higher power' has any meaning, beyond one's own philosophy of life.

IMO, the reason so many focus on a "higher power" is because Almighty, creator "God has created everyone with an inborn knowledge of His eternal power and deity." One cannot hold this type of belief and still remain in full control of life. Although deniable, the inner knowledge (sometimes referred to as a 'God-shaped vacuum' or a conscience), is inescapable.
Anyone who believes in the biblical god, believes in a lower power.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

8,048 posts, read 4,785,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You can think whatever you wish. There is no ban on thinking.
Indeed.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,647,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

This was an extremely narrow view of the options actually available to us. You're obviously hung up on the monotheistic example you were provided based solely on where you experience life on this earth. For you, that's your truth, but it may not be the the experience of others.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

53,441 posts, read 52,500,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Feeling something "in a spiritual way" is unsatisfactory because not everyone will have that same experience.

No, you can't prove reincarnation. Period.
No, you can't prove miracles. Period.

And frankly, religionists need to accept that and get over it.
On the other hand, there are a significant number of us on here who might believe something, have no desire or need to prove it to anyone else, and really don't give a rat's ass if you are atheist or not.

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,290,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On the other hand, there are a significant number of us on here who might believe something, have no desire or need to prove it to anyone else, and really don't give a rat's ass if you are atheist or not.
I think you said that very well. I believe what I believe, and no amount of being told to prove it to detractors or shut up changes anything.

By that token, I don't give a rats ass who is atheist except if they follow me around posting ugly missives and pretending to misunderstand what I'm saying.

Certainly, posters of any belief/nonbelief with thoughtful comments and statements make for a very, very interesting discussion.

It's the whole "you haven't convinced me, so stop talking" crowd just seems silly.

And for those who say well aren't Christians charged with spreading the word of God? Yes, we are. But we aren't charged with forcing the seeds to grow in those who hear it but don't believe.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

20,498 posts, read 9,636,404 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

8,048 posts, read 4,785,233 times
Quote:
And that's fine. You are one of the few with this POV; it is much more common to become indignant that one's beliefs are not immediately accepted as incontrovertible proof, on their say so.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

3,949 posts, read 1,454,237 times
Quote:
This !!

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

7,320 posts, read 2,375,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?
I like coming on this forum because I was once a very fundamentalist devoted Christian. Now I'm not. I find some of the discussions very interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong in challenging what someone believes. I don't mind when people come on the Agnostic/Atheist forum and challenge why I no longer believe. It makes for good conversation sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or