Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Agnosticism, as a term, wasn't coined until the mid-19th century. What do you think they called us before that? Like many other atheists, I refuse to be referred to as a term that makes me sound wishy-washy or too stupid or indifferent to decide, which is why the term was coined in the first place: to more easily denounce views that weren't monotheistic. I know that mainstream Christianity wants to portray an atheist only in one, angry box, but it's not so black and white: you can place me in a few angry boxes. =P
Spin it how you want but someone that doesn't believe in the existence of gods is atheist; someone that does believe in the existence of gods is theist and those that believe that there is not enough evidence to conclude either way are agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 03:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?
For me, and AA and some others please note that I speak for myself not all atheists as you would like to portray, I see the belief in 'higher powers' no different to believing in gods. I see 'higher powers' as a modern offshoot of god-belief. I see those that believe in 'higher powers as the people who would like to believe in gods but, understandably, see it as rather primitive and yet...they just can't break away.

Some call it god
Some call it Ganesh
Some call it Nature
Some call it Higher Power.

That's MY opinion.

As for god believers staying in Christianity
Atheists staying in Atheism
Higher Power believers staying in R+S

well! What a boring discussion forum we would have then. Every board would have someone saying...'I think X' and everyone else would be saying...'I agree.' It would be like the Christianity forum is now. Everyone patting each other on the back and telling themselves how special they are. No. Let's keep the cut and thrust of debate alive here.

Last edited by Rafius; 02-28-2019 at 04:02 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
If that's the case, the OP should call a troll a troll.

I don't like whataboutisms, but the Atheists forums has its share of theist trolls too. Can we trade? lol
No, no one should call another a troll, because that's against the TOS

Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Forgive me if this is against the rules for posting.

I'm honestly curious, why people who don't believe in any form of higher power are on this general Religion and Spirituality forum?

There is a subforum for Agnostic and Atheistic viewpoints, where people who have that viewpoint can post and discuss their beliefs.

Why come here, in the forum for discussing Religion and Spirituality, if you more align with Agnostic and Atheism?

I'm truly interested in honest answers. Again, Mods, sorry if this question is forbidden.

Many years ago, on the Petsmart forum, there was a pet rodent discussion group. People who liked rats, mice, hamsters, etc. shared tips. They were overwhelmed with a group of posters who derided them, and wondered why they wanted rodents, and advised then to put their energies elsewhere.

Honestly, this is how I feel about this topic thread. Why are people who are not interested in it so compelled to post negative things to people who ARE interested in the topic?
The question isn't forbidden, but it's been asked and answered several times, and fairly recently. The following thread was only halfway down the page:

Why do sceptics and atheists post on this and other

Non-religious people are interested in religion because religion impacts the society in which they live. That's the short version.

Just FYI, since you are new to this forum, understand that this forum is not a club for the religious. It's to discuss religion. There are rules for the subforums in addition to the TOS that can be found at the top of the page of each.

For example, in the general R&S forum, a wider range of thought can be discussed, especially between people with different worldviews, while in the Christianity forum, there are rules such as that the existence of God is assumed and no one gets to tell another that he or she is NOT Christian if their version of Christianity does not match up with the poster's own version.

Carry on.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I think some have misunderstood some of my post.

I certainly don't think that everyone who is spiritual is Christian, nor is this forum about Christianity. Pagans are spiritual, wiccans are spiritual, Buddhists, Hindus, unspecifically named philosophies who believe there is a life that's not restricted to with the confines of a body are all spiritual.

All those believers would be attracted to a forum such as this one.

And those who have none of those beliefs - the Atheists, who believe we have no soul, no transcendent "being" that might exist as one with each other, or individually as a specific spirit that can live on after the death of the host body, who don't believe there is any benefit to individual or corporate prayer or asking a question of the universe; who don't believe there is any design to our beings besides just happenstance, have a subforum for atheists.

My question remains, for those Atheists, what is the benefit you receive coming to a forum for those who are trying to sort out and express their belief in a Higher Power, for which you have no belief or even respect?

(It would be one thing is most atheists on this forum came with the attitude of, I really don't get it, I'm struggling as to how otherwise intelligent appearing people could believe in a God. But that's not how it's usually presented. It's dismissive, disrespectful and angry).

*shrug*

Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
I think some have misunderstood some of my post.

I certainly don't think that everyone who is spiritual is Christian, nor is this forum about Christianity. Pagans are spiritual, wiccans are spiritual, Buddhists, Hindus, unspecifically named philosophies who believe there is a life that's not restricted to with the confines of a body are all spiritual.

All those believers would be attracted to a forum such as this one.

And those who have none of those beliefs - the Atheists, who believe we have no soul, no transcendent "being" that might exist as one with each other, or individually as a specific spirit that can live on after the death of the host body, who don't believe there is any benefit to individual or corporate prayer or asking a question of the universe; who don't believe there is any design to our beings besides just happenstance, have a subforum for atheists.

My question remains, for those Atheists, what is the benefit you receive coming to a forum for those who are trying to sort out and express their belief in a Higher Power, for which you have no belief or even respect?

(It would be one thing is most atheists on this forum came with the attitude of, I really don't get it, I'm struggling as to how otherwise intelligent appearing people could believe in a God. But that's not how it's usually presented. It's dismissive, disrespectful and angry).

*shrug*
Not all believers subscribe to soul. There doesn't need to be a belief in an higher power to believe some part of us survive physical death. You wouldn't need a higher power to believe in reincarnation.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
One can feel a spiritual connection with the world/nature and even people in general without having it tied to......"a specific spirit that can live on after the death of the host body, who don't believe there is any benefit to individual or corporate prayer or asking a question of the universe; who don't believe there is any design to our beings besides just happenstance"

Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
I can't give any better answer than Mightyqueen just provided....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Non-religious people are interested in religion because religion impacts the society in which they live. That's the short version.

Just FYI, since you are new to this forum, understand that this forum is not a club for the religious. It's to discuss religion.....
And, as also noted, there is an ongoing thread on this question, with over 1000 opinions of all shapes and sizes....

Why do sceptics and atheists post on this and other

Old 02-28-2019, 07:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not all believers subscribe to soul. There doesn't need to be a belief in an higher power to believe some part of us survive physical death. You wouldn't need a higher power to believe in reincarnation.
In reincarnation, the "higher power" is the soul that can transcend the body, IMHO.

It's not a Christian belief, but it is, IMHO a clear "higher power" if souls can go from one body to the next.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:50 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
In reincarnation, the "higher power" is the soul that can transcend the body, IMHO.

It's not a Christian belief, but it is, IMHO a clear "higher power" if souls can go from one body to the next.
There probably isn't a lot of overlap between people who believe in reincarnation and atheists. I personally don't because that is a knowledge position that lacks proof IMO. A person could believe natural laws would allow this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality