U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 03:32 PM

24,712 posts, read 12,794,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would be very comfortable with your post if you put "In my opinion" before the bolded part.
I think that assumption can be safely made for everyone's posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 PM

8,408 posts, read 3,317,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think that assumption can be safely made for everyone's posts.
I agree, for most posts.

When you say to someone what they're feeling "it's not what you think it is", I think a little IMHO is in order.

Telling someone else you know what they're experiencing, and they don't, seems too heavy handed for two adults addressing each other.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:00 PM

24,712 posts, read 12,794,891 times
Quote:
I agree, for most posts.

When you say to someone what they're feeling "it's not what you think it is", I think a little IMHO is in order.

Telling someone else you know what they're experiencing, and they don't, seems too heavy handed for two adults addressing each other.
It's an internet message board, not high tea with the Queen.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I try to use the level of respect I expect in turn in a conversation.

I'm not here for a snarky slug-fest.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM

11,920 posts, read 4,559,028 times
Quote:
I would be very comfortable with your post if you put "In my opinion" before the bolded part.
when it comes to comparing the validity of claims based on observations their are claims that do not get to be weighted equally just because of "just opinions". when we have two competing claims that have equal weight, I will be more than happy to insert "imo".

Old 03-02-2019, 04:24 PM

839 posts, read 176,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
[/i]

Nor do I think one's religious beliefs or lack thereof matter one wit other than to the degree that they influence us for better or worse.

Simple but brilliant - I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
when it comes to comparing the validity of claims based on observations their are claims that do not get to be weighted equally just because of "just opinions". when we have two competing claims that have equal weight, I will be more than happy to insert "imo".
Again, in your opinion these two claims don't have equal weight.

In my opinion, based on my experience, my claim has greater weight than the absence of a God.

There are some phrases that enhance the conversation, when you're just conversing about opinions.

In my experience
In my observation
Seems to me that
I wonder if
Do you think maybe

This seems like a good place to insert this comedy routine that I heard on XM Comedy. Very funny. The Devil, "Toby" welcoming the damned to Hell.

There's a little something for everyone there. I don't think it will be traumatizing for anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut116mBuPpg

Old 03-02-2019, 05:01 PM

11,920 posts, read 4,559,028 times
Quote:
Again, in your opinion these two claims don't have equal weight.

In my opinion, based on my experience, my claim has greater weight than the absence of a God.

There are some phrases that enhance the conversation, when you're just conversing about opinions.

In my experience
In my observation
Seems to me that
I wonder if
Do you think maybe

*** nipped for space ***

not really. too many people rely on knocking off people with "that's just an opinion". There are claims that are clearly more valid than others.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
not really. too many people rely on knocking off people with "that's just an opinion". There are claims that are clearly more valid than others.
It IS just "your opinion" that there is no Christian God.

I can't understand how anyone could think that's not "just an opinion", just as my firm belief in Yahweh is just an opinion.

And to believe your opinion carries more weight than mine, well that's how opinions work.

But to think, in the abstract, that you can tell me that my opinion is wrong, is just, well, arrogant.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM

53,491 posts, read 52,544,646 times
Quote:
It can be, but you must make an appointment with my Secretary, and the water must be properly heated and immediately poured over the tea, or off with your head.

I will not stand for lukewarm tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality