U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:37 PM

839 posts, read 176,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I am just trying to understand what it is you mean by "anti-theistic dogma". So opposition to a belief in a god manifests itself, how?
I was explaining the difference between atheism and anti-theism. I’m an atheist, not an anti-theist. You asked what my opinion was - and I already answered it. (Post 25).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM

8,066 posts, read 4,792,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I was explaining the difference between atheism and anti-theism. Iím an atheist, not an anti-theist. You asked what my opinion was - and I already answered it. (Post 25).
Yes, I read your post and quoted it. What is "the principle of anti-theism"? What is an anti-theist? It's not a trick question. You keep using these terms, and I have no idea what they mean.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I read your post and quoted it. What is "the principle of anti-theism"? What is an anti-theist? It's not a trick question. You keep using these terms, and I have no idea what they mean.
The spreading of anti-theism, which is an OPPOSITION to the belief in God. It’s not a trick answer.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:04 PM

11,920 posts, read 4,559,028 times
Quote:
what he means petunia is that some atheist have bought into the dogma of anti-religious to the point that they make every choice in their lives based on a statement of belief about god. They must weigh everything they say against their statement of belief about god before they draw a conclusion about it.

for example trans. he actually tried to recruit me into the ant-religious ranks with statements like

1) although true it doesn't effect my life so don't talk about it so religion can't use it
2) some of us feel religion is so dangerous we will do anything to stop it
3) its my personal opinion and thats good enough

they are just some examples of the result of anti-religious indoctrination. he and his gang of adult child of abuse (if you consider religion abuse) actually became violent (in forum text violent). statements of belief about god (ours is no god) are power indoctrination tools use by people to both help and control others. The anti-religious do not apply the same rigor to their beliefs as they do their people's belief.

They are not out to help people to be the best they can be. They are out to market 'anti-god".

Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM

8,066 posts, read 4,792,945 times
Quote:
The spreading of anti-theism, which is an OPPOSITION to the belief in God. Itís not a trick answer.
So when I Google it, I find this:

Quote:
Antitheism, also known pejoratively as "militant atheism" (despite having nothing to do with militancyWikipedia's W.svg) is the belief that theism and religion are harmful to society and people, and that even if theistic beliefs were true, they would be undesirable. Antitheism, which is often characterized as outspoken opposition to theism and religion, asserts that religious and especially theistic beliefs are harmful and should be discarded in favor of humanism, rationalism, science and other alternatives.
Is this what you mean, more or less?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So when I Google it, I find this:

Is this what you mean, more or less?
I think that is the definition used on an atheist website; I have seen something similar. ĎOutspokení is a subjective term and requires the reader to draw a conclusion which is not measurable. Many atheists are outspoken about their personal disbeliefs in a God - that is NOT anti-theism.

The definition is simple.

Anti-theism: opposition to the belief in the existence of a God or Gods

The key word is OPPOSITION.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM

5,975 posts, read 1,921,495 times
Plenty of believers recognize that religion can be harmful. In fact, I'd say most of them do. Does that make them anti-theist in a sense?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Plenty of believers recognize that religion can be harmful. In fact, I'd say most of them do. Does that make them anti-theist in a sense?
Anti-theism is the opposition to the belief in God - so if they believe in God, no (even though I understand what you are saying some believers don’t follow all the ‘rules’ of whatever their beliefs are).

It’s not the recognition religion can be harmful (and it certainly can be), but it’s the opposition to the belief in God (for anyone), not just personal rejection of it.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM

19,083 posts, read 19,255,855 times
Quote:
The definition is simple.

Anti-theism: opposition to the belief in the existence of a God or Gods

The key word is OPPOSITION.
Excuse me , but well, DUH! Of course, we 'object'.
Now, the reasons for that opposition may be emotional (possible to discount) or reasonable , such as to make sure those beliefs do not infiltrate or affect the lives of non believers or even those of another 'belief system'

Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM

5,975 posts, read 1,921,495 times
Quote:
Anti-theism is the opposition to the belief in God - so if they believe in God, no (even though I understand what you are saying some believers donít follow all the Ďrulesí of whatever their beliefs are).

Itís not the recognition religion can be harmful (and it certainly can be), but itís the opposition to the belief in God (for anyone), not just personal rejection of it.
If religions weren't out harming people I wonder how many would be anti-theist except for the mental exercise. I wouldn't mind seeing the benefits of religion distilled down so we can get at the harm it causes. In order to do that we have to challenge the God concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality