U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

36,669 posts, read 9,888,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Religion does not belong in government and governing...not at all, IMO.
The reason it is, and has always been, so prevalent in the U.S....is because of the actions of those so-called Founding Fathers. They instigated it...and saw to it that it was ingrained and locked in.
You may have a point. I've sometimes wondered - if the USA had a state church it might be as irreligious as the UK right now. However, it is what it is and we (or you, rather) have the constitution as a paper wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True. There is an evolution to the intangibles of our humanity just as there is to our physical bodies. It can be as unfair to judge our lack of humanity in a specific area where we had not collectively evolved the sensitivity to it as it would be to judge our lack of upright bipedal walking before we evolved the appropriate pelvis.
I think that's a fair observation. Human morality has moved on and laws have been changed to keep pace with it. Hopefully for the better. How to reconcile a Book that has been rather left behind with the modern moral codes is something that the religious have to work out. You have simply rejected the old barbaric stuff. Well -I have myself. As I say - we agree on more..

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

4,907 posts, read 2,408,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Religion does not belong in government and governing...not at all, IMO.
The reason it is, and has always been, so prevalent in the U.S....is because of the actions of those so-called Founding Fathers. They instigated it...and saw to it that it was ingrained and locked in.
Or, the actions of the political being in bed with the religious.
The ' religious ', so to speak, want to crown and de -throne kings ( the political )
(That is why Napoleon instead crowned himself )
The 'religious ' have been useful to the political in that the ' religious ' has even used the pulpit as a recruiting station so that parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that is the same thing as the Altar of God. It's Not.

In ancient Israel it was a theocracy (Daniel 2:44) or theocratic government.
No, Not the modern-day definition of theocracy defined as: clergy rule or rule by clergy class.
Rather, God's theocratic rule was the old Constitution of the Mosaic Law ( but only for ancient Israel ) - Romans 10:4
Jesus gave us a NEW commandment to cover all the old as found at John 13:34-35.
We are Now to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor ' more ' than self.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

4,907 posts, read 2,408,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think that's a fair observation. Human morality has moved on and laws have been changed to keep pace with it. Hopefully for the better. How to reconcile a Book that has been rather left behind with the modern moral codes is something that the religious have to work out. You have simply rejected the old barbaric stuff. Well -I have myself. As I say - we agree on more..
Is it human morality, or 'human immorality' that has moved on - Sodom and Gomorrah.
Human laws to keep pace with human immorality or modern immoral codes.
The religious do Not have to work out anything because God's judgement is already recorded in Scripture for all to see.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Is it human morality, or 'human immorality' that has moved on - Sodom and Gomorrah.
The religious do Not have to work out anything because God's judgement is already recorded in Scripture for all to see.
Human morality. It may look like immorality to you, but then Christian 'Morality' doesn't impress me very much. Some may be satisfied with the instructions in the Bible, but we have already seen here that a great many Christians here have already preferred Some Human Morality (or immorality, if you prefer) to what's in the Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wmj4ZImck

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Yesterday at 06:15 PM..

Old Today, 09:33 AM

3,623 posts, read 669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yet we no longer keep slaves. Or follow the OT laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality