Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 AM

141 posts, read 58,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Christians around here hate me because I tell them the unvarnished truths about their religion. All they're used to hearing outside here are lies and I could tell you a laundry list of the lies they get told regularly about their religion by apologists if you asked me to.
Thrill...right up front---sorry, but I don't hate you. As much as you probably don't want it or receive it--I care about you.

Ok, in all truth, there's probably not a lot you could tell me about my faith and my beliefs that I've not already heard. I've been called empty minded, gullible, clueless, a cool aid drinker, and a few other more descriptive and "pointed" names. You, yourself, have grouped me as being part of "a plague". Yes, I've seen open hostility. OH, indeed I have. And, I've seen the laundry list...

Yet, seriously, feel free to share your thoughts. I'll even read them. I respect your right and I respect your thinking. I truly do...it's not just words I say to that effect.

But, I probably won't get into any sort of argument. Arguments about religion are usually pointless except, often, to promote yet more hostility. I share the message that God has given me. Some will consider, some will reject..and so it goes. Let he who has ears hear.

So, that might beg the question---why would I even visit this place casually or otherwise?

Simply put...to just so as I've said. Share what I've personally experienced in the hope it might help, assist, or whatever anyone that might, possibly...be "looking" for answers to their life.

You are not my intent or my focus.

You've made up your mind and are adamant in your rejection of God or anything of God...so be it. Now, might He supernaturally do something in your life to get your attention? Perhaps, He's entirely able. But probably not. He gives us Free Will. Again, you've rejected Him and His message...that is your choice and your right to do as such. I hope...I do hope that your mind will be changed one day before you stand in Judgement before Him...which you will.

But, I can't make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
...snip...I do hope that your mind will be changed one day before you stand in Judgement before Him...which you will.

But, I can't make that happen.
Wrong.

At the point of your death you will be judged - but not by your god. You will judge yourself, unsparingly, without excuses or rationalizations. You'll be confronted by past deeds in which you were a grade A rear orifice, and others in which you shone. You, and you alone will do the assessing.

After that - I got no idea.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
<snipped>...
But, I probably won't get into any sort of argument. Arguments about religion are usually pointless except, often, to promote yet more hostility. I share the message that God has given me. Some will consider, some will reject..and so it goes. Let he who has ears hear...

What is the message that God has given you?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What is the message that God has given you?
Pieroo...you probably already know it...you've been "around the block" a time or two most likely.

Yet, you asked so I will answer.

It's a very simple message. Jesus is the King and Savior of this world. He truly is the way, the truth, the life and no man comes to the Father but by Him. Jesus said He came to bring life to the weary, the burdened, the down and out...the hopeless.

He did it for me. He told me to share this with other's and to tell them it's there, it's ready, it's available for all that desire to believe.

But, one more time...I share that message and I know it's rejected and ridiculed by many. It's too "simple" for the logical and analytical mind. I understand that---I too rejected it for many years. That's why I bear no grudge or animosity to unbelievers or those that reject...I've been there and I understand.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
...snip... That's why I bear no grudge or animosity to unbelievers or those that reject...I've been there and I understand.
Do you also understand that most non-believers once believed?

Or are you going to hide behind the No True Scotsman fallacy that they couldn't POSSIBLY have been TRUE believers because once you do Jesus, you never go back?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Pieroo...you probably already know it...you've been "around the block" a time or two most likely.

It's a very simple message. Jesus is the King and Savior of this world. He truly is the way, the truth, the life and no man comes to the Father but by Him. Jesus said He came to bring life to the weary, the burdened, the down and out...the hopeless.

He did it for me. He told me to share this with other's and to tell them it's there, it's ready, it's available for all that desire to believe.
What are you going to do about him telling you to sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What are you going to do about him telling you to sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor?
He told his disciples that. Not every single person is charged with that; those who do that will have to be taken care of by others who are believers. Like missionaries. They rely on the other Christians to make their dedication possible.

He said to the woman who purchased VERY expensive perfume to bathe his feet in, and she was criticized for not donating that money to the poor instead, "there will always be the poor".

Jesus said love each other as we love ourselves, and see the face of Jesus in every human we encounter.

Mat. 25: 31-46) [When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:

But, one more time...I share that message and I know it's rejected and ridiculed by many. It's too "simple" for the logical and analytical mind. I understand that---I too rejected it for many years. That's why I bear no grudge or animosity to unbelievers or those that reject...I've been there and I understand.

As an ex-Christian, I have an even simpler message: God IS love and does not punish, nor ever will punish, anyone for not believing that God is love. I personally believe I can trust God because of God's very nature, and so can anyone else, but if they don't God's not going to destroy or punish them.

Many Christians on this forum have ridiculed and rejected me for sharing that message. Depending on their brand of Christianity, they have assured me that because I no longer believe that Jesus was a blood sacrifice nor that Jesus is my savior (from the wrath of God), I will either be condemned by God to an eternity of inescapable torment or be annihilated, and wiped from the memory of even those whom I love. Is that also your message?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Do you also understand that most non-believers once believed?

Or are you going to hide behind the No True Scotsman fallacy that they couldn't POSSIBLY have been TRUE believers because once you do Jesus, you never go back?
I'm not sure I'd agree with most...but, yes, there are many.

And, it's probably a cross between both.

Some never "bought in" for real so to speak. Jesus spoke about this. Some seeds fall on rock and are eaten by the birds, some fall on shallow soil and spring quick roots but they cannot stand the oppression of foul weather and shrink and die and so on...

I have no way of knowing for sure, but that's my best guess.

As to "real believers" leaving? Again, I'd say it can certainly happen. Life happens. Hardship comes. Trials flare up. Questions arise. And, the Bible warns that there are those that will lead believers astray--especially in the latter days.

It's always...always...always...a choice to believe or reject. It's one I have to make on a daily basis. My logical, analytical mind says "No way"....my heart, my spirit say..."Yes Lord, yes." The flesh wars against the spirit...the spirit wars against the flesh.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He told his disciples that. Not every single person is charged with that; those who do that will have to be taken care of by others who are believers. Like missionaries. They rely on the other Christians to make their dedication possible.

He said to the woman who purchased VERY expensive perfume to bathe his feet in, and she was criticized for not donating that money to the poor instead, "there will always be the poor".

How convenient for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality