Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 09:13 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,961,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How can you read and participate in this sub-forum and not have read repeated posts about that very topic. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
ClaraC has just started posting in the R&S forum recently, although since I get around, I've seen her elsewhere on City-Data.

She has a point. I also wondered about this and did some eye-rolling when I started posting on this specific forum three-four years or so ago. People getting dramatic about Christians constantly knocking on their door, acquaintances or people they just met asking where they go to church.

I thought they were exaggerating. It just doesn't happen here. I am sixty years old and can count on one hand the number of times Jehovah's witnesses have banged on my door, and no other religious group ever has. Nobody's going to assume you go to church here, and they certainly wouldn't ASK someone they barely know.

Not until I was around for a while and realized that in some parts of this country those things do happen did I start to understand that it was a real thing.

I am surprised that she lives in Texas and doesn't experience this, though, but then again, the few people I know who live there are not fundies, and in fact one of them is a gay man who is married to his partner.

As a matter of fact, NJ announced recently that they are adding the history of the LGBTQ struggle to the school curriculum, and a fundie poster from this forum, who lives far from Jersey, showed up to tell us how glad he is that he doesn't live here. We must be doing something right.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-03-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,222,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Every one of you should go put your location in your profiles,
so we know where you are.
THANK you! Yes!
And how about whether you are male or female...just so we don't
have to go 'he/she', cuz we just don't know.

MQ, thanks for saying what you did above, cuz Clara is new to these parts.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,987,373 times
Personal data shouldn't matter in the least for general discussions.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,482,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Personal data shouldn't matter in the least for general discussions.
I wish it didn't matter, but it does. Some people side with claims for the sole reason that they are wearing the same t-color. there are many examples.

we have theist and atheist that support people based on solely on a statement of belief about god and the actual claim isn't even addressed past "what I want".

Old 03-03-2019, 10:15 AM

7,572 posts, read 4,118,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I wish it didn't matter, but it does. Some people side with claims for the sole reason that they are wearing the same t-color. there are many examples.

we have theist and atheist that support people based on solely on a statement of belief about god and the actual claim isn't even addressed past "what I want".
But you are able to identify this behavior without the personal data. I see it too. I don't think it is necessary to share personal information and I am okay with being called a he.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,530,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This may be a bad idea if people want to keep their real life identity a secret, as it can be used to find out who people really are. I have accidentally done this for one city-data user without trying.
You don't have to put your house number and street name. You could say "near Bonn" or "west of Berlin" and still give us a sense of where you live. (Yours says "Germany" and this is enough to tell us where you live.) We have people with nothing in their location field on their profile making remarks like "That never happens down here" and it leaves us with no perspective of what they say. If they say "Florida" we know it is hot and they have hurricanes. If they say "Nebraska" we know they have no ocean front property.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,482,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
But you are able to identify this behavior without the personal data. I see it too. I don't think it is necessary to share personal information and I am okay with being called a he.
I mean yeah, you have a valid point. I don't care about being called a she ... heck, it fits on the second Saturday of every month anyway.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,222,993 times
Quote:
You don't have to put your house number and street name. You could say "near Bonn" or "west of Berlin" and still give us a sense of where you live. (Yours says "Germany" and this is enough to tell us where you live.) We have people with nothing in their location field on their profile making remarks like "That never happens down here" and it leaves us with no perspective of what they say. If they say "Florida" we know it is hot and they have hurricanes. If they say "Nebraska" we know they have no ocean front property.
Exactly, Thank you, again.
Being all mysterious is for the birds...just say Germany, for Pete's sake.
Well, I'm not a guy and don't want someone to address me as if I am, women think
differently then men, ask any married man, ha..if you don't care fine.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Exactly, Thank you, again.
Being all mysterious is for the birds...just say Germany, for Pete's sake.
Well, I'm not a guy and don't want someone to address me as if I am, women think
differently then men, ask any married man, ha..if you don't care fine.
Hey, it's funny because when I first saw your nickname, I did wonder, since Katharine Hepburn is such a gay-male icon.

On the other hand, people on City-Data and other forums have occasionally assumed that I am also a gay man because of the "queen" in my name.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 AM

16,593 posts, read 4,879,175 times
Quote:
Putting US states I understand, but I worry when people use their post codes, or even cities. Sometimes this is enough.

But maybe I am just being to careful because of the few experiences I have observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality