Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No on statement #2.

You can only say, I don't see any pizza. We here don't see any pizza.

You can't say neither you nor anyone else has ever seen pizza, while some people at the table are remarking at how delicious the pizza is.

Well, I guess you COULD say that, but you'd come off like a lot of people who feel like they can deny other people's experiences just because they haven't experienced it.

Just as I wouldn't stand here and say yes you are experiencing the power of prayer, you're just lying.

*shrug*
thats exactly right. we have never seen a pizza cook by itself. why would we follow anybody that says there not only is one but we should base our lives on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats exactly right. we have never seen a pizza cook by itself. why would we follow anybody that says there not only is one but we should base our lives on it?
Who said anything about the pizza cooking by itself?

off topic, dude.

Let's go through this again.

The power of prayer and the grace of the holy spirit is the insanely delicious pizza that people who taste it are compelled to try to share with others.

Some people say wow, what delicious pizza! (they feel answers to prayer, feeling of grace from the holy spirit)

Some people say what pizza, I don't see it (don't ever experience any answers to prayer, may have also never prayed, don't experience grace and peace from the holy spirit)

Some pizza say I've tasted the pizza, it's really not good or it's terribly bad (those who have experienced Christianity but had a bad experience or not a remarkable one at all)

There is no analogy about the pizza cooking itself.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:02 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:

off topic, dude.

The power of prayer and the grace of the holy spirit is the pizza.

Some people say wow, what delicious pizza! (answers to prayer, feeling of grace from the holy spirit)

Some people say what pizza, I don't see it (don't ever experience any answers to prayer, may have also never prayed, don't experience grace and peace from the holy spirit)

Do you think Grace is anywhere else or only in pizza?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:04 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,125 times
Quote:
Sentence #1 is fine.

No on statement #2.

You can only say, I don't see any pizza. We here don't see any pizza.

You can't say neither you nor anyone else has ever seen pizza, while some people at the table are remarking at how delicious the pizza is.

Well, I guess you COULD say that, but you'd come off like a lot of people who feel like they can deny other people's experiences just because they themselves haven't experienced it. And there seem to be an awful lot of people, with the topic of Christianity or other topics in general, who tell people they aren't experiencing what they state they are.

Just as I wouldn't stand here and say yes you are experiencing the power of prayer, you're just lying.

*shrug*
... and here we see the problem with the pizza analogy...

Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:

off topic, dude.

The power of prayer and the grace of the holy spirit is the insanely delicious pizza that people who taste it are compelled to try to share with others.

Some people say wow, what delicious pizza! (they feel answers to prayer, feeling of grace from the holy spirit)

Some pizza say I've tasted the pizza, it's really not good or it's terribly bad (those who have experienced Christianity but had a bad experience or not a remarkable one at all)

yes there is. virgin birth, died, rose, reaches down and saves us type pizza.

no magic pizza, the pizza as we understand pizza is great stuff to be used as needed. there is no need for me to deny everything about pizza just because some people misuse pizza.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:13 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Yes, we can sit at the table and eat together.

And you don't even have to try my pizza. I just have to offer it to you.

There is an etiquette rule that if you have guests in your home, you should offer them something to drink. Would you like tea? It's really good green tea, I made it this morning. A glass of water? I could put lemon in it.

There. I've satisfied my obligation to offer you something. Whether you say no thank you, I'm fine, doesn't change the fact that my obligation is complete.

It's immaterial whether you are thirsty and take me up on my offer.
Well then we have no problem. I appreciate your etiquette. I am here for your company, to have a passing second on this planet, to make your life a little happier and your day a little better by being in it. Pizza, I do not need. Just a chance to acknowledge you and to let you know that in spite of philosophical differences, we can all work togetherbto make life more enjoyable for all of us.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well then we have no problem. I appreciate your etiquette. I am here for your company, to have a passing second on this planet, to make your life a little happier and your day a little better by being in it. Pizza, I do not need. Just a chance to acknowledge you and to let you know that in spite of philosophical differences, we can all work togetherbto make life more enjoyable for all of us.
Yes. And you'd be welcome at my table, over coffee.

The conversation would be about what good books have you read lately, and did your daughter hear back from her first choice college?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you think Grace is anywhere else or only in pizza?
I think Grace is only in pizza.

I think if you're saying you feel that grace through, say, repeated TM mantras, and you express the same calm and answered prayers, I'd suspect you're grafting on to the pizza grace and you don't realize it.

Like an apartment dweller who is hearing beautiful music wafting into their windows from the pizzeria next door, where the owner is playing the violin. They state their apartment somehow is producing beautiful music - no, it's the pizzeria's violin music.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
I think Grace is only in pizza.
We've been here awhile...I forget is pizza God, Jesus, or Christianity?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You devil you, I'm gonna have to disagree with you yet again...People say this so much...even Christians, even Fundamentalists...yet, right there in Genesis Jacob 'saw God face to face and
yet survived' and called the place Penuel/Peniel. And so, so, so many NDErs have also, as many have on LSD....and many meditators and yogis.
Kinda boring ......
always the same ...Light.
Hate to disagree, but I must.

I don't view Genesis as a reliable source for much of anything, certainly not for establishing the existence of pizza. There is no more reason to accept at face value the story of Jacob (or anything else in Genesis), than to accept what I write here: "I saw Miss Hepburn jump the Grand Canyon." (I do have faith in your abilities, but we all have our limits)

The best I can do is modify my blanket declaration to make it more accurate, by acknowledging that "...people think they saw pizza, or saw pizza while hallucinating, or saw pizza while their brain neurons were firing in ways we don't understand, or saw pizza because they really wanted to, or saw pizza because they grew up with a mental image of what it should look like." But none of that establishes that pizza actually exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality