Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM

141 posts, read 58,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
True.

Okay, but, what does that mean, in your understanding, and why is it good news?

ETA: I think I should ask, why is it you believe "the world" needs a savior? What do they need to be saved from?
Your last question.

The Christian Bible is my basis for life.

It's very clear. A line has been drawn in the sand between good and evil. There is no middle ground. A day of Judgement is coming. We all have a choice. Accept Jesus or deny Jesus. That choice will determine our eternity after this life.

That's my position and I know it differs from yours. That's cool...I respect you and your belief and hopefully, you respond accordingly to mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Your last question.

It's very clear. A line has been drawn in the sand between good and evil. There is no middle ground. A day of Judgement is coming. We all have a choice. Accept Jesus or deny Jesus. That choice will determine our eternity after this life.

That's my position and I know it differs from yours. That's cool...I respect you and your belief and hopefully, you respond accordingly to mine.
I don't have to respect your beliefs to respect you. I held the same beliefs (presumably, based on what you've said so far) for most of my life, but was disabused of many (though not all) of those beliefs precisely because I came to realize they were irrational and not deserving of respect. I came to realize that those beliefs were actually poisoning me and I didn't even realize it.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
There is nothing wrong with trying to help someone and you need never feel that this is what's its about. That's how I look at people with strong belief systems. I'm even shunned by my mother until I return to the group and I know she is doing what she's doing in an attempt to save me. I don't see malicious intent behind the preaching.

This is what worked for you though. It will work for other people but not everyone. If a person continues to insist that they know better than me what I need then that comes off as arrogant. Have enough faith in your fellowman that they can find their own way just as you did.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
There is nothing wrong with trying to help someone and you need never feel that this is what's its about. That's how I look at people with strong belief systems. I'm even shunned by my mother until I return to the group and I know she is doing what she's doing in an attempt to save me. I don't see malicious intent behind the preaching.

This is what worked for you though. It will work for other people but not everyone. If a person continues to insist that they know better than me what I need then that comes off as arrogant. Have enough faith in your fellowman that they can find their own way just as you did.
Ah, L8, I want to be you when I grow up. You have such a graceful way about you.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ah, L8, I want to be you when I grow up. You have such a graceful way about you.
LOL I'm a rageaholic mostly. I'm forced to look at things this way or I'd lose my mind.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Your last question.

There is a middle ground. between nothing and what you want it to be.

I do not have to accept the magic parts of your belief system. There is just no rational interpretation(s) that says "yeah, that opinion should be weighted equally."

Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
There is a middle ground. between nothing and what you want it to be.

I do not have to accept the magic parts of your belief system. There is just no rational interpretation(s) that says "yeah, that opinion should be weighted equally."
This I agree with.

If christians stuck with the principles outlined in the New Testament (forget about the OT completely), and left out unsubstantiated miracles -- none of which we see occurring in modern times), I'd be a lot more comfortable with many aspects for christianity.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This I agree with.

If christians stuck with the principles outlined in the New Testament (forget about the OT completely), and left out unsubstantiated miracles -- none of which we see occurring in modern times), I'd be a lot more comfortable with many aspects for christianity.
Jesus is no longer here in the flesh, is why you don't see Him performing miracles. (I do, but that's another story).

Jesus didn't come to Earth to heal the lepers, restore sight to the blind, and to make a paraplegic walk. Miracles.

He used those miracles to prove that he IS the Son of God, so that he would be believed when he said follow me to God, and you are forgiven.

Had he stood there and said I am the Son of God, and can forgive your sins, and I am the way to life everlasting, he'd have gotten tomatoes thrown at him.

But when he miraculously heals the sick in front of people's eyes, well, he's got some cred.

So His true message will be believed.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Jesus is no longer here in the flesh, is why you don't see Him performing miracles. (I do, but that's another story).

Jesus didn't come to Earth to heal the lepers, restore sight to the blind, and to make a paraplegic walk. Miracles.

He used those miracles to prove that he IS the Son of God, so that he would be believed when he said follow me to God, and you are forgiven.

Had he stood there and said I am the Son of God, and can forgive your sins, and I am the way to life everlasting, he'd have gotten tomatoes thrown at him.

But when he miraculously heals the sick in front of people's eyes, well, he's got some cred.

So His true message will be believed.
Cred to you, no cred to me.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Cred to you, no cred to me.
Well, I don't know about you. If I witnessed a leper suddenly being completely healed in front of my eyes, that would get my attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality