Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,600,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Remember when the great pizza maker gave the kill order to kill other pizza makers AND their pizza baby's?

1 Samuel 15 New International Version (NIV)

The Lord Rejects Saul as King
15 Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord PIZZA MAKER sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord PIZZA MAKER. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty PIZZA MAKER says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites PIZZA MAKER for what they did to Israel PIZZA MAKER when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites PIZZA MAKER and totally destroy[a] all THEIR PIZZAthat belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and womenPIZZA MAKER, children and infantsPIZZA EATERS, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”
Yes, I remember. It's one of the many instances where God showed his great love of mankind. Nothing says "I love you" like some genocide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 AM

50,346 posts, read 23,925,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There are 2 billion people self-identifying as Christian in the world. World population is expected to hit 7.7 billion in 2019. That's 5.7 billion people who do not self-identify as Christian.

So if number of adherents make something true or false, Christianity is false.

Thanks for pointing this out, Oz.
Not only that, but christians often talk about "the real christians", which means -- according to real christians -- that 2 billion is, in reality, far less.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:43 AM

1,402 posts, read 473,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not only that, but christians often talk about "the real christians", which means -- according to real christians -- that 2 billion is, in reality, far less.
I would also be willing to bet, if there were some way to truly get inside their minds, that there are LARGE numbers who don't actually/fully believe the fundamental tenets of Christianity. I speak from experience, as someone who would've been counted among the masses for several decades, during which I didn't deep down believe much of what I professed while group-reciting the creed. One thing that finally allowed me to admit this non-belief was the revelation that many pastors were themselves coming out, admitting that they didn't believe some or all of what they were preaching (i.e., "if they can do it, so can I"). If societal, familial and historical pressures to toe the party line ever subside, to the point people can openly report what they ACTUALLY think... we'd see those numbers deflated.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:50 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,600,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I would also be willing to bet, if there were some way to truly get inside their minds, that there are LARGE numbers who don't actually/fully believe the fundamental tenets of Christianity. I speak from experience, as someone who would've been counted among the masses for several decades, during which I didn't deep down believe much of what I professed while group-reciting the creed. One thing that finally allowed me to admit this non-belief was the revelation that many pastors were themselves coming out, admitting that they didn't believe some or all of what they were preaching (i.e., "if they can do it, so can I"). If societal, familial and historical pressures to toe the party line ever subside, to the point people can openly report what they ACTUALLY think... we'd see those numbers deflated.
Oh, that number has to include a lot of people who just barely believe anything at all about the Christian faith (of any stripe).

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not only that, but christians often talk about "the real christians",
which means -- according to real christians -- that 2 billion is, in reality, far less.
Still laughing...good one!!!

I did a survey with 10 people I know in 2006, went like this:

ME: "Do you consider your self Christian?" (9 out of 10 said yes...the 1 was an ex-Catholic/atheist now.)
"Yes"
ME: "If I asked you where would you'd find Colossians, Ephesians and Philippians, the New or Old Testaments...What would you say?"
"Old Testament"

8 said OT
1 couldn't even guess (his brother was a minister in his mid 70s, btw)
1 said correctly with no hesitation NT...the atheist.

LO! Oh boy.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 03-04-2019 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,808,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh, that number has to include a lot of people who just barely believe anything at all about the Christian faith (of any stripe).
...and those that say they are Christians but a re really atheists but are afraid to say so.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The skeptics don't know how absurd they look when they completely dismiss something which has followers numbering in the billions. Whatever form of Christianity the person is, they all follow Christ in some fashion. There has to be something real for that to happen.

Any attempt to dismiss that by the skeptic doesn't even register because it's so absurd.
I am not a skeptic....but, no, to what I bolded, billions can think something, believe something
and live by something
and be in total delusion.
Sorry, Ozzy. Majority is not always right, and neither is the minority.
Just the way it is.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,586,199 times
Loved it when the great pizza maker said

Luke 22:36 New International Version (NIV)

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a pursePIZZA OVEN, take it, and also a bag PIZZA BOX; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak PIZZA OVEN AND BOXES and buy one.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM

141 posts, read 58,427 times
Well now, a lot has transpired since my last casual visit. I've caused some to hang their head in shame over me, I'm spreading a nefarious thought, and I may be borderline, if not full blow, obnoxious. And, so it goes...

There has been frequent mention about debate. Ok, I made my personal stand on "debate" in a note to Transponder. I have no desire for it. I see no profit for either side? I doubt either of us could share anything new under the sun that hasn't been heard before. It would be a constant cycle of "You're wrong, I'm right. No, I'm right and you're wrong". I could quote non ending Scripture and associated thoughts, you'd counter with Pascal's Wager, Occam's/ Ockham's razor or the writings of Richard Dawkins....and, so on.

Further, if you note (as I've mentioned) Jesus argued and debated with the spiritual leaders of His day. He seldom, if ever, debated otherwise. He spoke, He offered, He taught to any willing to even consider listening. That was about it. Nothing more.

I've already made it clear in a post to (Thrillobyte?)...the atheist's here are intelligent, well thought, and well read. I can't convince you guys of anything...I can't shove anything down your throat nor will I try. You either outright reject the pizza without even trying it, you've tasted the pizza and it's not for you, or you've, in the past, bought the pizza but returned it for a refund...and, you're quite adamant on your position.

I get that, as I've stated. I was part of the big time unbeliever mindset. I loved watching the little churches in the town I grew up in and hear about one of their steadfast members "fall" in some way...oh, how I did. Stupid, Self Righteous Christians...I loved it.

SO, finally then...if anyone's even bothered to query--why does he even visit here?

Well, it's not for the hard core atheists. They are not my intent or my focus, (thought I do pray for you, some by "name" even if you don't want it) I've greatly striven to be respectful of both you and your belief choices. Hopefully I've come across as such.

But, if there's one...and maybe only one...that is perhaps questioning their faith in atheism, or perhaps there's one that is so wanting to find their place in life, trying to find answers because they're confused and downtrodden and hurting...they're simply searching...that's who I hope to encounter.

Will I one day log in and see a direct message from someone like that just asking "ok, tell me just a little more about your faith..."? Maybe. Perhaps. Or...not. Or, maybe I'll just plant some seeds that someone else will water and harvest.

Whatever...it's all good. I share the message of Jesus and I share what He's done in my life and I urge those, that haven't, to consider checking out...the Pizza.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,330,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Well now, a lot has transpired since my last casual visit. I've caused some to hang their head in shame over me, I'm spreading a nefarious thought, and I may be borderline, if not full blow, obnoxious. And, so it goes...

There has been frequent mention about debate. Ok, I made my personal stand on "debate" in a note to Transponder. I have no desire for it. I see no profit for either side? I doubt either of us could share anything new under the sun that hasn't been heard before. It would be a constant cycle of "You're wrong, I'm right. No, I'm right and you're wrong". I could quote non ending Scripture and associated thoughts, you'd counter with Pascal's Wager, Occam's/ Ockham's razor or the writings of Richard Dawkins....and, so on.

Further, if you note (as I've mentioned) Jesus argued and debated with the spiritual leaders of His day. He seldom, if ever, debated otherwise. He spoke, He offered, He taught to any willing to even consider listening. That was about it. Nothing more.

I've already made it clear in a post to (Thrillobyte?)...the atheist's here are intelligent, well thought, and well read. I can't convince you guys of anything...I can't shove anything down your throat nor will I try. You either outright reject the pizza without even trying it, you've tasted the pizza and it's not for you, or you've, in the past, bought the pizza but returned it for a refund...and, you're quite adamant on your position.

I get that, as I've stated. I was part of the big time unbeliever mindset. I loved watching the little churches in the town I grew up in and hear about one of their steadfast members "fall" in some way...oh, how I did. Stupid, Self Righteous Christians...I loved it.

SO, finally then...if anyone's even bothered to query--why does he even visit here?

Well, it's not for the hard core atheists. They are not my intent or my focus, (thought I do pray for you, some by "name" even if you don't want it) I've greatly striven to be respectful of both you and your belief choices. Hopefully I've come across as such.

But, if there's one...and maybe only one...that is perhaps questioning their faith in atheism, or perhaps there's one that is so wanting to find their place in life, trying to find answers because they're confused and downtrodden and hurting...they're simply searching...that's who I hope to encounter.

Will I one day log in and see a direct message from someone like that just asking "ok, tell me just a little more about your faith..."? Maybe. Perhaps. Or...not. Or, maybe I'll just plant some seeds that someone else will water and harvest.

Whatever...it's all good. I share the message of Jesus and I share what He's done in my life and I urge those, that haven't, to consider checking out...the Pizza.

I hate to say it, because you sound so sincere, but it seems quite a bit like you're just trying to make brownie points with God. As you've said, it's not like you're sharing anything new under the sun, and you're not willing to respond to anyone's concerns about why they find your pizza either lacking in taste or downright poisonous. So, you're just dropping the same old rote "believe or else" bomb and then moving on. Why do that if not that you're just trying to check "evangelize" off your to do list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality