Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Does it look to you, seeing my posts, that I'm posting to get likes?

It's incredibly arrogant of Phetaroi to tell me - not once or twice, but several times, how to post.

I don't care who has rep points, and have noticed that some of the smarter posters have very few points, maybe because they post questions instead of answers.

Who thinks they have the right to repeatedly tell someone their posting style is wrong? I felt something had to be said, when telling him to worry about himself didn't work.

*blinks eyes*
If you are posting in the Christianity or religion forums, then you may not be posting for that reason, but it is why you get more rep points. If you pander to the masses, you will certainly get more rep points than an atheist simply speaking their mind in the religion forum, for instance. This is just by shear numbers, and has no bearing on the content of the posts. That was my point.

As for being told how to post, if you posts are constantly being taken out of context or something of that nature, then maybe you should look at how you post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
If you are posting in the Christianity or religion forums, then you may not be posting for that reason, but it is why you get more rep points. If you pander to the masses, you will certainly get more rep points than an atheist simply speaking their mind in the religion forum, for instance. This is just by shear numbers, and has no bearing on the content of the posts. That was my point.

As for being told how to post, if you posts are constantly being taken out of context or something of that nature, then maybe you should look at how you post?
Um. They're not being constantly being taken out of context by many people.

Just people who appear to be trying.

Which happens on every board. People who can't find something substantive to argue about will pretend to misunderstand, and I'm sure you've seen that yourself.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I don't know that goes for this board.

I've noticed saying "I don't know" doesn't get you anywhere. Can't be much more direct and clear than that.
No. A simple "I don't know" if a fine answer. It's honest.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know how many of us there are, but I do know I'm not alone. I also know I'm not alone in being a staunch LGBT ally. Every June, I march with a group of Mormons called "Mormons Building Bridges" in Salt Lake City's annual Pride Parade. It's the best Sunday of the year, IMO.
That's fabulous. I had no idea there was such an event.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
How in the world can a, supposedly, loving God destroy people…?
I promised discussion rather than debate or attack, and will attempt to keep my responses in that realm. I won’t try to pick your post apartin little bits, but I will say I find the entire portion of your post, that I have deleted in this response, unconvincing.

Quote:
It’s a matter of faith. God is really, really big on faith. His Word says “Without faith, it is impossible to please God…” He says…I know you don’t understand. But, you must trust Me…

Yes, again, God is BIG on faith. So, He will not fully explain everything…if there was absolute proof of God, the faith element goes out the window. If we have absolute proof---faith is not needed. Jesus encountered this when some said “show us a sign and we’ll believe…” This mindset has echoed down the annals of time. Show me proof, I’ll Believe.
This is the biggest reason I do not believe in your god. You are asking me to do so with zero evidence. I cannot do it. Every religious follower wants me to follow their god based upon similar, non-existence evidence. Given the equivalence of all religions, I find them all equally unconvincing.

I do have a counter-argument for your claim that faith needs to be unsupported, but will only offer it if you are interested in that line of discussion.

Quote:
This will provoke many! Oh it will. As I’ve said, I’ve seen it before…a lot of shots will be taken at this. Why, I’m still quaking at my keyboard at a promise I was recently given…my posts would be ripped limb from limb…
Please calm down. It is just an electronic discussion. Nobody is going to track you down in real life and scream at you.

Quote:
Yes, I’m a blind, gullible, crutch seeking, empty minded, cool aid drinking, simpleton…or, as I’ve said before, at times, much more “pointed” names than those have been offered.
Harsh words, and not ones that I use. I will say that you do not seem to be very skeptical, and I find that lamentable, but it is partially your choice, and partially really strong social conditioning.

There are strong social forces pushing people towards religion. I wish that were not true, as I th8nk religion is detrimental more than beneficial, but on an individual basis, if it makes you happy to believe, do what makes you happy.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
CV is still a dewy born-again.

I'm interested to see if he is up to facing some of the criticism of, and the challenges to, his belief system that he will face here in R&S.

Right now, I'm leaning 60-40 to his visits becoming even more casual, with gusts up to sporadic - to total disappearance within a month.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
I considered that, and then I compared our reputation scores . . .

I might take you seriously if others did.
...but where you move, one only has to say 'Jesus is my saviour' to get 100 reps.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
How in the world can a, supposedly, loving God destroy people…?

That one has been presented, in various forms, repeatedly to me. Ok, I’m going to give you my answer. Forewarning; the Bible, and the Christian God of said Bible is my basis….
Ah. So your 'basis' is a book that has been proven to be not a lot more than fable, fiction and fraud.

Quote:
God is a God of absolute perfection.
...and yet he makes mistakes!

Quote:
He is sinless and He intended us to be likewise. But, unfortunately, man exercised free will and brought sin into our world.
Which of course he knew was going to happen due to omnipotence. Pretty stupid doing a thing like that knowing what was going to happen. A bit like a mechanic fitting an engine to a car when he knew it was going to blow up as soon as the ignition key was inserted. Pointless...and stupid.

Quote:
But, God will not, forever, tolerate this sin.
Then why did he create it.

Quote:
When all is said and done…God doesn’t have to explain anything to us. He’s God, we’re not.
Yes...the M.O of a vicious dictator. I can do whatever I like and nobody is allowed to question me. We see your god as a vicious dictator and you have just confirmed it. Thanks

Quote:
It mimics a Parent/Child relationship.A young child may see a snake, think it’s cool looking, and make their way towards Mr. Snake. A parent sees this and intervenes---perhaps killing the snake for the sake of the child. Yet, the young one often will not understand…they may think Mr. Snake was a friend! So, they simply cannot comprehend why their parent acted as they did.
No it's nothing like a parent/child relationship. Not in the least. Parents of children are not omnimax. There is no comparison but if you want to use the parent/child analogy, it would be like the parents giving the child a rattlesnake to play with whilst knowing that the rattlesnake will bite and kill the child and then (and here is the stupidity of Christian beliefs) BLAMING THE CHILD FOR PLAYING WITH THE SNAKE!

Quote:
It’s a matter of faith. God is really, really big on faith.
No. Christianity is very, very big on faith. For obvious reasons

Quote:
if there was absolute proof of God, the faith element goes out the window.
So do you 'know' that your god exists. Are you 100% certain?

Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
A couple of comments seem in order here.

Rep numbers and post counts don't mean much. A person can be fairly new to the forum, thus having lower post & rep numbers, but be contributing valuable discussion content. Another person may be a long time member posting frequently in Community Chat and Games, where post count goes up, but serious discussion perhaps does not. Posts in the local forums can be worth more rep points than posts in forums not related to moving and relocating. Members with longer tenure and higher post counts can give more rep points than newer members, but only in those forums where higher rep points are allowed.

My observation is that most people have post/rep ratios between 0.5 and 2.0. For every 1000 posts, many members will show between 500 and 2000 rep points. That information may or may not be accurate and is probably worth about as much as you paid for it.

About post clarity: A movie quote/reference/citation may or may not be understood. Some people don't watch movies much and references may be lost, except in the most common of movie references. I'd make the source clear. As to humor in posts, I'll refer you to Poe's Law, which states: "Without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views." Use the "smiley faces."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Other Internet posting laws may also apply in some circumstances.

Back to the topic at hand: I like pizza. Lots of different kinds of pizza. We have a couple of local places here that make pizza to die for, but the "Hot & Ready" is awfully convenient and inexpensive. That may be dinner this evening, and I pray that everyone is well fed.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:38 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A couple of comments seem in order here. Rep numbers and post counts don't mean much... [TRUNCATED] ...Back to the topic at hand: I like pizza.
I like your style, Mensa... and have therefore given you a rep point. Which, as you say, is worth about as much as you paid for it!

Seriously, thanks for the level-headed, even-handed moderating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality