U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 09:04 AM

106 posts, read 26,755 times

Advertisements

I see alot of back and forth about Rep Points. I'm just happy there's no "minus" button. I'd be deeply into the dreaded red numbers...but, that's another issue.

Ok, In another post, I called out Christians for their arrogant, loud mouthed, obnoxious manners towards those that believe differently than they do. Now, I'd like to speak to any non-believer that will listen. (I will bring it back to Pizza...)

In our world, success is often defined by being somewhat successful. For example, you can be an All Star in Major League Baseball by being successful 3 out of 10 times. In the NFL, a .500 win/loss record is sometimes a successful season for some teams. (for the Raiders? Attaining that lofty height would be the proof many keep asking for---Miracles Do Happen) Sorry Raiders fans...couldn't resist. Finally, an actor would be considered in the upper echelon if they attain 1 or 2 best actors awards in their career.

I THINK most would agree with most of that.

So, why is so much more expected of Christians? Christians are just people too...they/we really are.

Now, hear me--I already admitted--ALOT of this is self imposed by how we present our-self as "holier than thou", in your face, arrogant, and so on and so on. Trust me, I've seen this FAR too often...

Like I said in that other post...the biggest enemy of Christianity is, often, Christians themselves.

Do Christians do evil things? Yep, absolutely. Or, at least those that consider themselves Christians. As Miss Hepburn said in a post, so many "Christians" can't even tell you where given books in the Bible are located. That speaks volumes. I won't even get started on that.

Have I seen bad things done by Christians? Sure I have. Yet, I say this...within my church, every "bad action" I've seen could be countered with 5 really, really good things that have been done. There is good, there is bad in every level of society--the church is no exception.

Ok, so I try to present myself respectfully. I probably go overboard on that one. But, I'm serious when I say I'm not trying to shove it down anybody's throat. The committed non-believer is too jaded, too anti-Christian, too whatever. (and, yes, I know some will say---"too intelligent") Their heart is too hard for me to do anything. Only a true move of God will impact them. Those described are not my intent, not my focus.

I just speak of my beliefs in the same fashion I've seen many non-believers speak of their own beliefs or lack thereof. I present my take on Pizza. I do it for all the reasons I said...to offer a possible option to those that might be looking for answers to their hurting life that aren't so jaded or hardened...I would think most would at least agree it's a better option than alcohol abuse, narcotics, or suicide. It was for me.

And, I think I'm safe in saying there's not been a single instance where I've disparaged those postings and thoughts contrary to mine. Yeah, we may be polar opposites but, I respect you and, believe it or not---I honestly care about you. You may not want my "care" but, sorry, it's there nonetheless. I wish EVERY person here the absolute best.

I'm here for awhile yet TroutDude...until God tells me otherwise, which He may. Oh, also...even a dewy Christian (I think that was the term--I didn't go back and look?) such as myself still loves trout fishing. (daring to assume that is indeed what your user name alludes to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:12 AM

15,379 posts, read 12,133,948 times
CV: I am becoming flattered people thought you were me...I won't say why ...that would be boasting...LOL

(And the Lord said, if you must boast, boast of 'this' one thing.) Shhh.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM

25,812 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
..snip...

I'm here for awhile yet TroutDude...until God tells me otherwise, which He may. Oh, also...even a dewy Christian (I think that was the term--I didn't go back and look?) such as myself still loves trout fishing. (daring to assume that is indeed what your user name alludes to)
I do hope you stay, CV. There's a lot of good minds and hearts on this forum, among believers and non.

(There's a few knobs too, but you take the bad with the good.)

And yes, I fish, therefore I am.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I do hope you stay, CV. There's a lot of good minds and hearts on this forum, among believers and non.

(There's a few knobs too, but you take the bad with the good.)

And yes, I fish, therefore I am.
Common Ground...you speak most correctly. Well said.

Tried to give you a "rep point" but it said I had to spread some rep around before I repped you again. (Yep, you've been CV repped in a previous post...)

Ok, one little question...please...and we won't get off on this tangent I promise.
But, what's the largest trout you've hauled in? I really am curious...

Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM

25,812 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Common Ground...you speak most correctly. Well said.

Tried to give you a "rep point" but it said I had to spread some rep around before I repped you again. (Yep, you've been CV repped in a previous post...)

Ok, one little question...please...and we won't get off on this tangent I promise.
But, what's the largest trout you've hauled in? I really am curious...
A 16-17-lb. buck rainbow/steelhead, during a February thaw in a feeder creek of Lake Ontario. Along with my sons' births, watching that beauty swim away afterwards was a highlight of my life.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM

15,379 posts, read 12,133,948 times
Quote:
A 16-17-lb. buck rainbow/steelhead, during a February thaw in a feeder creek of Lake Ontario. Along with my sons' births, watching that beauty swim away afterwards was a highlight of my life.
What? That's heavier than a bag of potatoes!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times
Quote:

Like I said in that other post...the biggest enemy of Christianity is, often, Christians themselves.

The biggest enemy of Christianity, as I see it, is that the message "God is not holding the sin of the world against it,", has been muddied up by too many Christians with "believe it, or else" threats, to the point that the message is unrecognizable and the God who IS love has been portrayed as something monstrous.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Oh...My....Gosh...(turning my head due north towards Ontario and doing a little bowing thing...)

We have a daily catch limit of 5 in my area...my top THREE catches each day would seldom, seldom attain that figure.

I'm awestruck. I can't imagine the fight and effort it took to get that lunker in...wow.

Some day...some day...I would love to venture to The Great White North--the Land of the Canucks--and have the privilege of fishing in some remote stream...mega coolness it would be.

Ok, thank you! As Promised, I won't draw this little side bar out. But, ...well done oh artful one.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM

8,954 posts, read 8,406,922 times
CV,

I don’t care too much about how Christians conduct themselves. If any person is going to claim that they are better than others, or other people are worth less or otherwise suspect if they are not Christian, I think it fair to call them on hypocrisy, but that is really because they set a target on themselves.

I really don’t expect Christians to act better than anybody else. Mostly because I think that Christianity is a poor moral tool, partly because I am cynical and believe most people act primarily out of self interest.

For me, it continually comes back to the evidence. You tell me about amazing pizza, but I have never seen or tasted it. It is always hidden, available only after my death.

Why should I order a pizza that is guaranteed not to arrive within 30 minutes?

Old 03-07-2019, 12:08 PM

13,493 posts, read 4,996,362 times
The problem is who and why is evaluating the evidence. we have anti-theist that think deny everything is the most important thing that has to be done. Then say "we need evidence", but as a point of fact their main goal is to minimize and or deny everything.

Or, when the people that claim "show me evidence" are given evidence they have absolutely no idea what is said. And instead of saying "Maybe I should go learn about it" they claim "Oh yeah, I don't know and that means that my opinion is as valid as anybody's."

The simple "fact" is all the evidence points to us being part of a vastly more complex system that is processing, far in away, more information, in more complex patterns than our brain. What does that make it

It doesn't matter that people like "insert anti-theist" say they there is no evidence because they don't care what the evidence is. They have an agenda to put forth. The same goes for my-god-only types.

The sooner we start addressing people true intentions the faster this debate is settled. For some its not about stopping injustice, its about getting even and forcing their way of life on the rest of us.

The truth is between deny everything out of a fear of religion and my-god-only. "Life" is the most reasonable claim to date and every discovery made makes it more valid. Its not "GOD" and its not "I don't like religion so I get to deny everything."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or