U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM

2,599 posts, read 1,417,151 times

Advertisements

A theist is a person who believes in a god. There may or may not be a purpose for us. There may or may not be a final destination for us.

A religionist believes in The God. I think there is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

14,286 posts, read 11,501,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
A theist is a person who believes in a god.

A religionist believes in The God. I think there is a big difference.
Oh! Thank you...so a Hindu is a theist...and, if you are into one God...you are a religionist?
Did I get that right...(even if you do not like org religion in the least? You would still use that word?)
Oh, and one God or The God... could be not the God of the Bible?

I'm getting nit-picky, I know. Never heard the word before.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

36,879 posts, read 9,937,833 times
Certainly a Hundu is a Theist. More specifically a Polytheist (more than one god - even though Brahma seems to be the basic God - though some claim that for Krishna) while those who believe in 1 god are monotheist.

I have never thought of applying the term 'religionist' to the type of belief, but rather the practice of the religion. In fact I'd rather not r use the term (even though the religious use all kinds of deprecatory 'isms' to denote atheists).

I'll look it up. .

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

20,816 posts, read 9,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh! Thank you...so a Hindu is a theist...and, if you are into one God...you are a religionist?
Did I get that right...(even if you do not like org religion in the least? You would still use that word?)
Oh, and one God or The God... could be not the God of the Bible?

I'm getting nit-picky, I know. Never heard the word before.
I would define it a lot differently. To me, a religionist is someone who is caught up in a formal religion. The rituals. The pomp. Catholicism is big into this, although not exclusive to catholics.

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

Thanks. Online dictionaries are becoming less user - friendly. But overall definition of Religionist is a believer in a religion. Expansion suggests that they believe their religion is the right one and they tend to be much concerned with correct procedure, adherence to form and doctrine, and approve (at least) of Obedience to the religious authority.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

53,726 posts, read 52,717,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would define it a lot differently. To me, a religionist is someone who is caught up in a formal religion. The rituals. The pomp. Catholicism is big into this, although not exclusive to catholics.
I dunno. One of the reasons I attend an Episcopal Church is because I enjoy the rituals. I've plainly stated on here that the primary reason I started attending a church eight years ago was for social reasons, although the resolution of some spiritual loose ends from my childhood played a part, as well.

Still, if I hadn't moved to an area where I knew no one, I doubt that I'd have looked for a church. When I did, I went Episcopal both because I liked the rituals and I knew it was a liberal denomination and didn't claim that Christianity was the only valid spiritual path.

I therefore don't think I fit your definition of a religionist.

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

I am quite certain that you don't. Mind you, I won't be dishing out medals, because neither does Mystic.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

14,286 posts, read 11,501,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Certainly a Hundu is a Theist. More specifically a Polytheist (more than one god - even though Brahma seems to be the basic God - though some claim that for Krishna) while those who believe in 1 god are monotheist.
I have never thought of applying the term 'religionist' to the type of belief, but rather the practice of the religion. In fact I'd rather not r use the term (even though the religious use all kinds of deprecatory 'isms' to denote atheists).
Well, I'm no believer in a religion...so there you have that one.

If I may, there are 3 divisions of God in Hinduism...Brahma (or Brahman) the Top Dog, the Creator of Everything, (His work is considered done/over) so then, there are Vishnu and Shiva.
Krishna was the incarnation (oh, also Ram or Rama before Him) of Vishnu.
Vishnu, preserves and maintains the Universe (!)
Shiva, is the destroyer (in simple terms)
Creator, Preserver and Destroyer ...you can't have rebirth without the destroyer, btw.

(Most worshipped are Vishnu or Shiva.)

It is funny tho...because to worship Vishnu, Hindus picture either Rama or Krishna..(just as Christians use someone 'relatable', like the human, Jesus, to worship the Father Creator...Brahma)*.
Shiva they usually worship as Shiva like the Destroyer Himself, Herself!

Few worship Shiva by going thru Hanuman..a seeming lesser incarnation (being a monkey after all) that served Rama....however, was supposedly Shiva.

* You could also note the similarities of Abraham, Abram, Brahma, Hamsa, Hesham...
What they all have in common is: if whispered and elongated with your breath....are imitations
of the Sound of the Holy Name of God...that cannot be pronounced with human lips or vocal chords....
and is Hallowed for those in the know.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

20,816 posts, read 9,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno. One of the reasons I attend an Episcopal Church is because I enjoy the rituals. I've plainly stated on here that the primary reason I started attending a church eight years ago was for social reasons, although the resolution of some spiritual loose ends from my childhood played a part, as well.

Still, if I hadn't moved to an area where I knew no one, I doubt that I'd have looked for a church. When I did, I went Episcopal both because I liked the rituals and I knew it was a liberal denomination and didn't claim that Christianity was the only valid spiritual path.

I therefore don't think I fit your definition of a religionist.
Oh, I understand that. Rituals are interesting. The moment at a catholic mass, for example, when the wine turns into blood. Interesting...yes. Real...no.

Many of the Buddhist rituals interest me, even though (as one monk tole me) they have nothing to do with true Buddhism.

I the rituals are like comfort food.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I'm no believer in a religion...so there you have that one.

If I may, there are 3 divisions of God in Hinduism...Brahma (or Brahman) the Top Dog, the Creator of Everything, (His work is considered done/over) so then, there are Vishnu and Shiva.
Krishna was the incarnation (oh, also Ram or Rama before Him) of Vishnu.
Vishnu, preserves and maintains the Universe (!)
Shiva, is the destroyer (in simple terms)
Creator, Preserver and Destroyer ...you can't have rebirth without the destroyer, btw.

(Most worshipped are Vishnu or Shiva.)

It is funny tho...because to worship Vishnu, Hindus picture either Rama or Krishna..(just as Christians use someone 'relatable', like the human, Jesus, to worship the Father Creator...Brahma)*.
Shiva they usually worship as Shiva like the Destroyer Himself, Herself!

Few worship Shiva by going thru Hanuman..a seeming lesser incarnation (being a monkey after all) that served Rama....however, was supposedly Shiva.

* You could also note the similarities of Abraham, Abram, Brahma, Hamsa, Hesham...
What they all have in common is: if whispered and elongated with your breath....are imitations
of the Sound of the Holy Name of God...that cannot be pronounced with human lips or vocal chords....
and is Hallowed for those in the know.
Minor nitpick -pedant detail...isn't Hanuman rather related to Vaishaism rather than Saivism? Hanuman is revered as a top devotee of Rama who is of course an incarnation of Vishnu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or