U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2019, 03:56 PM
 
13,491 posts, read 5,076,185 times
Reputation: 1374

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I haven’t posted in awhile due to time constraints but I’ve at least monitored a few of the threads. As before, I recognize and appreciate the depth of intelligence and articulation I see here. Yes, truly. *nods*

As for me…the “Pizza” is still forefront in my life…it is my life actually. I’m just a guy, nobody special and certainly not better than anyone that visits here. I just share, as I can, what happened in my life and where I walk and live these days.

Now, some will find what I’m about to say as being very odd, to put it mildly---yet, I speak it in full truth. I care about each person here far more than most would imagine. I say that in all honesty. I continue to call out so many of the names here in prayer though I’ve been told by some to not do as such for them.

My prayer is simple. That God will show you that “glimpse” of Himself as I mentioned in another post. A Glimpse that cannot be ignored. A Glimpse that would dare you to just consider there is more…much more…to this life.

Why? Because of what I said… I simply care about people.

I share because the day may come when reason no longer works for someone. A day when nothing makes sense any longer. A day when everything seems wrong and empty. I offer a consideration for that day should it ever transpire for anyone. The consideration is Jesus…the Way, The Truth, The Life.

Sure, there will be mockers and such. So be it…I understand due to my “history” and the days of my youth. I understand it doesn’t make sense to the intellectual mind. I understand the need of absolute proof from that mindset…I so do. But, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. God is really big on this faith thing...without it, it's impossible to please Him.

So, I share. I don’t argue, I don’t ridicule opposing opinions, I strive to be respectful and such to each and all. I just…share…with the hope that what I share” connects” with at least one, if not more. Because this Pizza truly is the greatest ever known to mankind.
what do you do when people are hitting each other with their pizza?
what do you do when people are pushing pizza that isn't pizza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
 
39,787 posts, read 11,125,718 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I haven’t posted in awhile due to time constraints but I’ve at least monitored a few of the threads. As before, I recognize and appreciate the depth of intelligence and articulation I see here. Yes, truly. *nods*

As for me…the “Pizza” is still forefront in my life…it is my life actually. I’m just a guy, nobody special and certainly not better than anyone that visits here. I just share, as I can, what happened in my life and where I walk and live these days.

Now, some will find what I’m about to say as being very odd, to put it mildly---yet, I speak it in full truth. I care about each person here far more than most would imagine. I say that in all honesty. I continue to call out so many of the names here in prayer though I’ve been told by some to not do as such for them.

My prayer is simple. That God will show you that “glimpse” of Himself as I mentioned in another post. A Glimpse that cannot be ignored. A Glimpse that would dare you to just consider there is more…much more…to this life.

Why? Because of what I said… I simply care about people.

I share because the day may come when reason no longer works for someone. A day when nothing makes sense any longer. A day when everything seems wrong and empty. I offer a consideration for that day should it ever transpire for anyone. The consideration is Jesus…the Way, The Truth, The Life.

Sure, there will be mockers and such. So be it…I understand due to my “history” and the days of my youth. I understand it doesn’t make sense to the intellectual mind. I understand the need of absolute proof from that mindset…I so do. But, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. God is really big on this faith thing...without it, it's impossible to please Him.

So, I share. I don’t argue, I don’t ridicule opposing opinions, I strive to be respectful and such to each and all. I just…share…with the hope that what I share” connects” with at least one, if not more. Because this Pizza truly is the greatest ever known to mankind.
I can relate to what you say (your sincerity is not in doubt - by me at any rate), and I can understand the force of what you say. I'd just put my own view - that when we suffer an injury or illness, there may be times when it is so bad that - never mind the dangers - nothing but a strong addictive drug will make it bearable.

But for anything else that you can stand, stand it. Don't reach for the bottle at the first twinge, far less than we actually don't have much pain but someone told us that it'll make us feel even better....

Of course, I have never been a true believer myself, so I can say that I'd rather be a rationalist, but how do I know? But a good half of us used to be, and they don't seem to show too much regret at kicking the habit. You ought to have a chat with Northsouth. A lovely person and a deeply committed Christian. Until she converted - right here. Still a lovely person.

Oh, btw - I'm glad to see you back. It's so nice to talk to a Christian who doesn't talk to atheists as though we are cockroaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 AM
 
112 posts, read 28,981 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can relate to what you say (your sincerity is not in doubt - by me at any rate), and I can understand the force of what you say. I'd just put my own view - that when we suffer an injury or illness, there may be times when it is so bad that - never mind the dangers - nothing but a strong addictive drug will make it bearable.

But for anything else that you can stand, stand it. Don't reach for the bottle at the first twinge, far less than we actually don't have much pain but someone told us that it'll make us feel even better....

Of course, I have never been a true believer myself, so I can say that I'd rather be a rationalist, but how do I know? But a good half of us used to be, and they don't seem to show too much regret at kicking the habit. You ought to have a chat with Northsouth. A lovely person and a deeply committed Christian. Until she converted - right here. Still a lovely person.

Oh, btw - I'm glad to see you back. It's so nice to talk to a Christian who doesn't talk to atheists as though we are cockroaches.
Transponder...Now, you will probably rebuff me on this statement---but I'm gonna say it anyway---I think you're an awesomely likable person. You tend to resist such statements about yourself---but, 'tis true.

And, I can echo similar thoughts...though we may be near polar opposites on our beliefs and thoughts---you've always been respectful to me and, I greatly appreciate that.

I read many of your posts and appreciate the thought and logic of what you say.

I think you said something like this in a post from awhile back. "We may have to just come to the place where we both throw up our arms and simply agree to disagree..." It was something like that.

Now, I'll never stop trying to "show you the light" and you'll never stop, politely, pointing out the errors in my thought process...but,...I can live with that.

You're a good man. *nods* And...yeah...I continue to lift you up in prayer---you and yours.
Be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 AM
 
112 posts, read 28,981 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what do you do when people are hitting each other with their pizza?
what do you do when people are pushing pizza that isn't pizza?
Arach,

In the movie "Rudy" there is a scene where Rudy is talking to a priest. Said priest made a comment that has stuck with me because I can relate to it...

"Son, in thirty-five years of religious study, I’ve come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts; there is a God, and, I’m not Him."

I'm just a guy. I share what I've come to know as simple truth in my life hoping it connects with someone. I can't "fix" the world and what goes on in it. I can't "fix" people--I have enough struggle with just fixing myself. I can't, and won't, tell anybody what they HAVE to think or believe.

I just reach out from the sincere depths of my heart to anyone that might listen. After that, it's out of my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 07:56 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,241,160 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
<snipped>

(Transponder, be patient and tolerant with me!!! Chuckle!)…

Now, somehow, someway, I found the most amazing pizza the world has ever known. I'm talking "Nectar of the God's" level and quality. There simply is nothing like it---in my experience anyway....

I can only tell about this amazing food product. I can only tell what I've …

That's why I share Christ with other's. Man, I was living in a pig pen of life. I was desperately gobbling up all the slop the world could throw my way---desperately trying to convince myself I was happy and fulfilled. (though I always felt a "empty spot" in my gut) I was wallowing in "junk"...

I was rescued from that. I was pulled from a slimy pit and redeemed. And, I owe everything to God above...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
..I share what I've come to know as simple truth in my life hoping it connects with someone. ...
Casual, I've tried asking in various ways, and I'm going to try asking again:

What is it, precisely, that you are wanting to share? You said "Christ", but what does that mean to you? How has Christ fulfilled you, and with what?

(I realize that the intended target of your message is Trans, but since you started this thread in the open forum, I have to assume you wanted to discuss with more than just him .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 AM
 
112 posts, read 28,981 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Casual, I've tried asking in various ways, and I'm going to try asking again:

What is it, precisely, that you are wanting to share? You said "Christ", but what does that mean to you? How has Christ fulfilled you, and with what?

(I realize that the intended target of your message is Trans, but since you started this thread in the open forum, I have to assume you wanted to discuss with more than just him .)
Pleroo,

Ok...you've seen those horrid film clips from 2001...when the Twin Towers just, suddenly, collapsed upon themselves, yes?

That's a visual of my life. Everything...collapsed. The details don't matter really. The fact of that is enough.

Many things could have been my "answer" to this. Drugs, alcohol, suicide. Yeah, viable options at that time in my life.

It was at this moment that I dared to consider...just consider...when I cried out "God, I don't know if you're there or not...but, if you are...I need you...please help me..."

That was the cornerstone moment of my life. I didn't see flashing lights, I didn't hear rolling thunder. But, something changed inside me.

It's been a building process since then. I have my ups, I have my downs just like anybody...I struggle with life. And, yeah, at times I struggle with doubt. Jesus said in this world there will be tribulation.

But, how did Jesus fulfill me? He gave me life again. He gave me purpose. He rescued me. I have hope again...a hope in what I can't grasp with my fingers, a hope I can't lay my eyes directly on, a hope that transcends any human reasoning---it makes no sense. Yet, Yeah...I have life again. I've experienced His power and presence.

Now, I've heard all the responses to this. I needed a crutch for my weakness. Or, I had an emotional experience but that's all it was...emotion. I drank the cool aid. Yeah, I've heard those and many more far less "polite".

SO...what do I want to share? That simple message that I know, beforehand, won't resonate with many. I know many will mock. I know many will shake their head at this goofy Christian and his unfounded, no evidence beliefs.

But, I share it for all my stated reasons...I share it with any that might be where I was in my life. I share it with anyone that might just consider...

I share a simple truth...there is Hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
26,133 posts, read 13,595,651 times
Reputation: 11776
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
...snip...

I share a simple truth...there is Hope.
I've been sharing that truth most of my life and I stopped being a Christian 50 years ago. Religious belief is not the only source for hope. I'm glad you found a way to make positive changes in your life and applaud you for doing so. Change takes courage. But many have done so without a god belief or "born again" experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM
 
112 posts, read 28,981 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've been sharing that truth most of my life and I stopped being a Christian 50 years ago. Religious belief is not the only source for hope. I'm glad you found a way to make positive changes in your life and applaud you for doing so. Change takes courage. But many have done so without a god belief or "born again" experience.
Trout...*thinks*

Ok, well stated. I truly get what you're saying. As I kinda shared with Trans, we can agree to respect the other's viewpoint I would think.

And, no matter what,...you're still my "Fishing Hero"...*nods in a northerly direction in reverence*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,241,160 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Pleroo,

Ok...you've seen those horrid film clips from 2001...when the Twin Towers just, suddenly, collapsed upon themselves, yes?

That's a visual of my life. Everything...collapsed. The details don't matter really. The fact of that is enough.

Many things could have been my "answer" to this. Drugs, alcohol, suicide. Yeah, viable options at that time in my life.

It was at this moment that I dared to consider...just consider...when I cried out "God, I don't know if you're there or not...but, if you are...I need you...please help me..."

That was the cornerstone moment of my life. I didn't see flashing lights, I didn't hear rolling thunder. But, something changed inside me.

It's been a building process since then. I have my ups, I have my downs just like anybody...I struggle with life. And, yeah, at times I struggle with doubt. Jesus said in this world there will be tribulation.
I'm very glad to hear that you came out of the collapse. I've been through my own collapse, so I relate.

Quote:
But, how did Jesus fulfill me? He gave me life again. He gave me purpose. He rescued me. I have hope again...a hope in what I can't grasp with my fingers, a hope I can't lay my eyes directly on, a hope that transcends any human reasoning---it makes no sense. Yet, Yeah...I have life again. I've experienced His power and presence.
I'm very glad that you have purpose and hope. What I'm asking is how did JESUS do these things for you?

Quote:
Now, I've heard all the responses to this. I needed a crutch for my weakness. Or, I had an emotional experience but that's all it was...emotion. I drank the cool aid. Yeah, I've heard those and many more far less "polite".
I hope you know by now that I would never say such things, but if not, let me assure you, I never have, nor would I.

Quote:
SO...what do I want to share? That simple message that I know, beforehand, won't resonate with many. I know many will mock. I know many will shake their head at this goofy Christian and his unfounded, no evidence beliefs.

But, I share it for all my stated reasons...I share it with any that might be where I was in my life. I share it with anyone that might just consider...

I share a simple truth...there is Hope.

Casual, you often talk about how many people will mock. I realize it's a sort of preemptive strike -- you say it before someone has the chance to say it to you. But, people who actually mock (not just disagree with) others for having a belief in God have their own issues (and I say that with compassion), so I wouldn't give their mocking so much energy by always bringing it up. Just my .02 on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,928 posts, read 4,005,836 times
Reputation: 4161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
cause this Pizza truly is the greatest ever known to mankind.
STOP EVERYONE!!!!!! HEAR THE GOOD NEWS!!!!!
WE NOW HAVE N EGG-ROLL RESTAURANT right accross the street from the Pizza RESTAURANT AND THEY HAVE THE BEST EGG-ROLLS AND SUSHI KNOWN TO MANKIND!!!!
We NO LONGER have to limit ourselves to PIZZA !!!!!

YUM YUM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top