U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 03:51 PM

39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly! When ever Christians tell me that 'god' wants a relationship with me, I say... 'He knows where I live.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYkxWO4Op6c

God may be something you wanna ...turn off every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 PM

22,575 posts, read 10,437,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post

One last item. I've been asked "What if you're wrong about this God of yours and Jesus...?" Easy answer. If I am, I'll go to my grave having lived a life of love and service (Yep, Old Cold. I don't just talk the talk) to others as I was able. I'll go with a peace in my spirit.

And I've lived a life of love and service, and I'm an atheist now.

And I know christians who have not lived a life of love and service.

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-17-2019 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post

What I am trying to say is "Why in the world would a believer worry about God's relationship with other people? ...
Simple answer -- ego.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,569,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly! When ever Christians tell me that 'god' wants a relationship with me, I say... 'He knows where I live.'
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That makes perfect sense, and to my mind simply pointsout another detrimental aspect of religion.

Some religions tell people to worry about these things. It likes an obligation onto them to convert, or at the very least, preach the word. This is why the Mormons approached my last night while I was walking my dog.

It is notable that some religions donít care about recruitment in this manner. Judaism comes to mind.
Worrying was my stumbling block, but didn't know at the time. Does the worrying behavior come from religion or the culture? For me, the only way to address it was to drop belief because it was embedded in the culture, which is the whole picture. So even if a religion does not recruit, worrying may still be a core reason of why it is practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Simple answer -- ego.
That makes sense.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 29 days ago)

2,135 posts, read 593,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I've lived a life of love and service, and I'm an atheist now.

And I know christians who have not lived a life of love and service.
Exactly, phetaroi. Seems a lot of the religious folks think that you have to be religious to have lived a good life. Simply untrue. I would say with 100% certainty that I do more for my community and the people around me than most Christians do. I don't have much to give in the way of money, but my husband and I give plenty of our time to help those less fortunate. A lot of that time is on Sunday too, when the religious are in church giving money to people who don't need it.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:37 PM

106 posts, read 26,976 times
So, I drove by "Little Caesar's" just a little bit ago and wondered, "Should I stop and get a thick crust pepperoni?" Man, I love that stuff...and, don't even get me started on Chicago Style....Oh my....

Somehow, I resisted...

But, that prompted me to think about this "Pizza Thread". Which, in turn, brought several of you to mind. I ran through the names, the words I've seen you type...

I started smiling as I recalled seeing some of the "Pet names" I see from time to time when the regulars here post back and forth. "Old Goat", "Old Scrot"...and so on.

I smiled because those playful, friendly names are a sign of the friendships that some of you have with each other. And, that's a great thing I would say.

Finally...my mind settled a bit deeper and I became aware of, what I think to be a simple fact that I, for one, must always remember and honor.

We're all just doing life as best we can. We have different backgrounds, experiences, and so on but, nobody is better than anyone else,...we have different mindsets, dreams, beliefs, and so on...but, we're still just people.

Somehow I felt the urge to post this even if it comes across a bit silly or whatever.

I'll keep visiting here, casually, unless God tells me otherwise. And, yes, I'll continue speaking of and sharing about the "Pizza" that has changed my life like nothing else I've ever experienced...nothing.

And, equally, many of you will continue to voice your opinions otherwise...as I would expect and understand. So it goes.

Yes, we may disagree to the jot and tittle on some aspects of life and beliefs...but, for me I can honestly say, I've come to truly like many of you here. You're just good, decent people...or, so you come across as such.

Ok, enough of that. Like I said, something just urged me to post this...and, there ya go. Best to all.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 PM

13,493 posts, read 5,008,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Fishbrains,
I understand the issues with my post when read by somebody who doesn't believe. I don't believe in a god as well. I truly wish one existed but that is mostly for my benefit. I mostly wrote that post trying to take into consideration that the reader believes in a god.

What I am trying to say is "Why in the world would a believer worry about God's relationship with other people? That is his problem or their problem. and Why even make it a problem?" So you can be a believer and not take on God's problems or just stop creating them, almost the same benefit that an atheist would have. Not quite problem free but at least some are eliminated.
the issue is forcing a belief on others even when it counters observation. and also, some religious have created flat psychopaths and turned them lose on us. either for or against god is actually irrelevant to me.

The psychopath is more of an issue for me. they are actually real. and dangerous no matter what they believe. its just that religion has a central theme they can form up around and cause a train wreck.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:11 PM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
So, I drove by "Little Caesar's" just a little bit ago and wondered, "Should I stop and get a thick crust pepperoni?" Man, I love that stuff...and, don't even get me started on Chicago Style....Oh my....

Somehow, I resisted...

But, that prompted me to think about this "Pizza Thread". Which, in turn, brought several of you to mind. I ran through the names, the words I've seen you type...

I started smiling as I recalled seeing some of the "Pet names" I see from time to time when the regulars here post back and forth. "Old Goat", "Old Scrot"...and so on.

I smiled because those playful, friendly names are a sign of the friendships that some of you have with each other. And, that's a great thing I would say.

Finally...my mind settled a bit deeper and I became aware of, what I think to be a simple fact that I, for one, must always remember and honor.

We're all just doing life as best we can. We have different backgrounds, experiences, and so on but, nobody is better than anyone else,...we have different mindsets, dreams, beliefs, and so on...but, we're still just people.

Somehow I felt the urge to post this even if it comes across a bit silly or whatever.

I'll keep visiting here, casually, unless God tells me otherwise. And, yes, I'll continue speaking of and sharing about the "Pizza" that has changed my life like nothing else I've ever experienced...nothing.

And, equally, many of you will continue to voice your opinions otherwise...as I would expect and understand. So it goes.

Yes, we may disagree to the jot and tittle on some aspects of life and beliefs...but, for me I can honestly say, I've come to truly like many of you here. You're just good, decent people...or, so you come across as such.

Ok, enough of that. Like I said, something just urged me to post this...and, there ya go. Best to all.
Plus the Old Goat and Old Scrot are Two Cranky Old Brits who I suspect use those terms to play up their Two Cranky Old Brit schtick.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 AM

106 posts, read 26,976 times
I reread my original "Pizza Post". And, I've read the replies.

There is one aspect I would like to mention. It regards the "F" word....Faith.

Many, understandably, question how one can believe in something they can't see, touch, feel. The logical mind simply says, "That's not logical" (or, "That's illogical" if you're a Spock fan) Agreed. Truth that. Therefore; I understand why many struggle with the concept.

Yet, for the Christian, Faith is paramount. Now, the Bible explains faith as "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." So, this says there will indeed be things that can't be seen or touched.

Equally, the Bible says "Without Faith, it's impossible to please God." God is really big on this faith and trust thing. Why? I don't know...He's God, I'm not.

So, how would I explain faith? I'll use an analogy I've heard. It's something akin to fishing. When that big trout hits your lure, you may not see him, you may not yet be able to touch him...but, you KNOW he's there. Right Troutdude? That pull and that tug confirm...he's there.

That's me. I feel God in my spirit, in my heart. I feel the tug, I feel the pull. And, yes, I've seen His movement in my life. I've seen the results of faith.

It's not just a mere emotion. I know emotions. I get a 'happy spirit' when my Cardinals defeat the dreaded Cubs. Yeah, I do. This faith thing? Far deeper, far more lasting...far more real.

Finally...does my faith get tested? Sure it does. It makes NO sense in the natural. It can't be explained by some scientific theory or study. (Sidenote? Can everything be explained, beyond doubt, by Science?)

So, I totally understand why so many soundly reject the notion. As I said in the OP---I did likewise for many years.

Anyway...so it goes. Faith endures. I do my best to just believe God is telling the truth. Some will get this, some will not.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I reread my original "Pizza Post". And, I've read the replies.

There is one aspect I would like to mention. It regards the "F" word....Faith.

Many, understandably, question how one can believe in something they can't see, touch, feel. The logical mind simply says, "That's not logical" (or, "That's illogical" if you're a Spock fan) Agreed. Truth that. Therefore; I understand why many struggle with the concept.

Yet, for the Christian, Faith is paramount. Now, the Bible explains faith as "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." So, this says there will indeed be things that can't be seen or touched.

Equally, the Bible says "Without Faith, it's impossible to please God." God is really big on this faith and trust thing. Why? I don't know...He's God, I'm not.

So, how would I explain faith? I'll use an analogy I've heard. It's something akin to fishing. When that big trout hits your lure, you may not see him, you may not yet be able to touch him...but, you KNOW he's there. Right Troutdude? That pull and that tug confirm...he's there.

That's me. I feel God in my spirit, in my heart. I feel the tug, I feel the pull. And, yes, I've seen His movement in my life. I've seen the results of faith.

It's not just a mere emotion. I know emotions. I get a 'happy spirit' when my Cardinals defeat the dreaded Cubs. Yeah, I do. This faith thing? Far deeper, far more lasting...far more real.

Finally...does my faith get tested? Sure it does. It makes NO sense in the natural. It can't be explained by some scientific theory or study. (Sidenote? Can everything be explained, beyond doubt, by Science?)

So, I totally understand why so many soundly reject the notion. As I said in the OP---I did likewise for many years.

Anyway...so it goes. Faith endures. I do my best to just believe God is telling the truth. Some will get this, some will not.
I'm not sure anyone here has argued about what faith is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or