U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 AM

15,455 posts, read 10,455,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
So, I totally understand why so many soundly reject the notion. As I said in the OP---I did likewise for many years.

Anyway...so it goes. Faith endures. I do my best to just believe God is telling the truth. Some will get this, some will not.
...but we know and can prove that 'faith' is THE most unreliable way of arriving at the truth, so why look on it as something to be proud of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 1,026,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If anything, the difference is that Christian faith has more evidence. Whereas faith in science is based upon a trust of things that most people don't understand, but have simply been told.
So it IS identical (except science works).

Old 05-22-2019, 04:10 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,626,065 times
There have been many times when I used basic science concepts to troubleshoot and there was no need to repay science or follow some moral code of science or have a relationship with it. In science, it either works or it doesn't, especially applicable science.

As far as religion, well, I don't want to say never, but very rarely has basic Christian concepts worked for me because religion is about relationships. Faith is trust and, for me, trust requires a relationship and relationships require shared meaning of language. So when somebody tells me to have faith in god, we should both share the same meaning of faith. Our experiences will have led us to the same conclusion on what it means to have faith. Telling me to have faith is not the same as both of us sharing the meaning of it.

The only thing I can have faith in when it comes to a god if one exists is this: It is not as crazy as humans make It out to be. I am counting on the universe in this regard.

Last edited by elyn02; 05-22-2019 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM

40,040 posts, read 11,216,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can't believe you actually wrote that. Have you no shame?
I've heard this idea before - that scientists write claims in books and people simply accept it because scientists say so.

Theist apologists seems to think that's how science works, and it is clearly projecting their own way of thinking (Faith in the pronunciations of Authority through Books) onto science, atheism and materialism.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM

2,400 posts, read 644,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If anything, the difference is that Christian faith has more evidence. Whereas faith in science is based upon a trust of things that most people don't understand, but have simply been told.
Christian faith has more evidence than science!? Surely you are not that daft...

Old 05-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Christian faith has more evidence than science!? Surely you are not that daft...
"Bad evidence is still evidence" (Mystic phd)

Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM

2,400 posts, read 644,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Oh, sure it is. We have far more of both good and bad evidence in regards to science though. The only "evidence" for Christianity in particular, is in the minds of the ones who want to believe it. Even if events in the Bible were verified, all it would show is that the events happened, not that the Bible, or the events, were divinely inspired or created. Same thing with the miracles we hear so much about. Even if they were verified to have happened, if doesn't prove Christianity in any way, shape, or form.

Anyways, the point stands, in that science has far more evidence than the Christian faith.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM

13,491 posts, read 5,097,741 times
the evidence points to us being part of a larger more complex system. using science. It is far more valid to call that system "life" than non life.

we are surrounded by life and that what theist are misrepresenting as a god thing.

"deny everything" based on a statement of belief about god is totally adolescent like. in fact, is as immature as needing a dude to have died and rised for our sins.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 PM

40,493 posts, read 27,036,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Why did you attribute this to me, Arq?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why did you attribute this to me, Arq?
Because you said it. You may have forgotten that you argued that bad or invalid evidence was still 'evidence', but i haven't. Ok I probably can't find that single long -since post now, but you definitely made that argument. Just once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or