U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Reputation: 6047

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Because you said it. You may have forgotten that you argued that bad or invalid evidence was still 'evidence', but I haven't. Ok I probably can't find that single long -since post now, but you definitely made that argument. Just once.
Okay, I can see the actual validity of the self-defeating assertion. Senioritis is no fun at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM
 
670 posts, read 146,409 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If anything, the difference is that Christian faith has more evidence. Whereas faith in science is based upon a trust of things that most people don't understand, but have simply been told.
Science is what produces aircraft that can whisk you comfortably between New York and London in a few hours. Science is what eradicated polio and smallpox, what saves people from cancer, what allows the transplanting of organs. Science is the internet and this forum, the radar and satellites which give us warning of dangerous weather, and myriad other developments that are extremely well understood and which have about as much faith as you have clues.

Again, that's science. The idea that Christianity has more evidence than, say, the scientific fruits that allow air travel and save lives through modern medicine and do all manner of other things is, frankly, idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"deny everything" based on a statement of belief about god is totally adolescent like. in fact, is as immature as needing a dude to have died and rised for our sins.
I notice that among your obsessions are the 'deny everything' phrase (I don't know which you love more: the strawman that it is, or just typing it over and over) and an endless parade of false equivalencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,333,893 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Because you said it. You may have forgotten that you argued that bad or invalid evidence was still 'evidence', but i haven't. Ok I probably can't find that single long -since post now, but you definitely made that argument. Just once.
Yep. I remember it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
 
39,023 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Reputation: 5081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yep. I remember it too.
Thanks old mate - cheque to the same account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 05:06 AM
 
13,460 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Science is what produces aircraft that can whisk you comfortably between New York and London in a few hours. Science is what eradicated polio and smallpox, what saves people from cancer, what allows the transplanting of organs. Science is the internet and this forum, the radar and satellites which give us warning of dangerous weather, and myriad other developments that are extremely well understood and which have about as much faith as you have clues.

Again, that's science. The idea that Christianity has more evidence than, say, the scientific fruits that allow air travel and save lives through modern medicine and do all manner of other things is, frankly, idiotic.



I notice that among your obsessions are the 'deny everything' phrase (I don't know which you love more: the strawman that it is, or just typing it over and over) and an endless parade of false equivalencies.
that actually doesn't address the reason for the statement. It addresses your personal opinion about it, but not the facts.

where did I get the term "deny everything sect of atheist are fundy-think-types".

1) I got it from ex-christian fundy that changed their belief. they now express their atheism in the exact same manor they used to express their theism.

You do it for yourself. list how what you call a fundy theist would express atheism. Use the traits you assign to a fundy theist and predict how they would debate for atheism.

2) "deny everything", where did I get that?

why here on CD. I was told by trans and mort that although the science is valid we need to "obscure it" so that theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell.

so thats where the term came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 AM
 
10,518 posts, read 12,730,813 times
Reputation: 3864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that actually doesn't address the reason for the statement. It addresses your personal opinion about it, but not the facts.

where did I get the term "deny everything sect of atheist are fundy-think-types".

1) I got it from ex-christian fundy that changed their belief. they now express their atheism in the exact same manor they used to express their theism.

You do it for yourself. list how what you call a fundy theist would express atheism. Use the traits you assign to a fundy theist and predict how they would debate for atheism.

2) "deny everything", where did I get that?

why here on CD. I was told by trans and mort that although the science is valid we need to "obscure it" so that theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell.

so thats where the term came from.
Arach, this is one of the most truthful things I've heard you say. Some of those atheists are confused right now because they were never Christians in what they consider their "ex-Christian" days. But they still believe that they were because they recognize other people who are like they once were, but who are still in the church. But the churches are full of confused people. The only thing that is now in the way of their knowing the true light of the glory of Christ is their arrogance and pride.

Some of the pantheists who post here might have lost a small amount of pride, and so they believe they have discovered the truth. But they still look down on believers, which means that they are still struggling with pride and arrogance. This is the FAIR way that God judges people. So it really is the person who is choosing not to believe.

If anyone looks down on other people, you can never really forgive them or love them and consider all people as better than yourself. That is what Paul commanded us to do in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 AM
 
10,518 posts, read 12,730,813 times
Reputation: 3864
Deepak Chopra is a perfect example of the irreligious/pantheist type who is still lost. I used to think he was great in my irreligious theist days. But then I saw how lost he was after his obsession with Richard Dawkins. He had been in some kind of various debates with Richard Dawkins. Dawkins obviously said something that touched a nerve. So now he is on some kind of crusade to even the score. Or at least he was. The last I saw a few years ago he was making videos addressing things they had debated about. Richard Dawkins was living rent-free inside his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 06:46 AM
 
13,460 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Reputation: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Deepak Chopra is a perfect example of the irreligious/pantheist type who is still lost. I used to think he was great in my irreligious theist days. But then I saw how lost he was after his obsession with Richard Dawkins. He had been in some kind of various debates with Richard Dawkins. Dawkins obviously said something that touched a nerve. So now he is on some kind of crusade to even the score. Or at least he was. The last I saw a few years ago he was making videos addressing things they had debated about. Richard Dawkins was living rent-free inside his head.
ozz, we are have disconnect(s) somewhere in us. All of us. the question is "honesty". How honest is person about there disconnects.

addressing anti-religious views verse what "god" is or is not are two totally separate conversations. people that need to equate the evils of religion to "pushing anti-god" are a serous threat freedom everywhere. They are a threat precisely because they are not being honest or they are incapable of being honest.

look at the gospel nonsense. literally true or literally false. Its exposes the two sides as the problem. its not religion or atheism, its those types of people that are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 AM
 
10,518 posts, read 12,730,813 times
Reputation: 3864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ozz, we are have disconnect(s) somewhere in us. All of us. the question is "honesty". How honest is person about there disconnects.

addressing anti-religious views verse what "god" is or is not are two totally separate conversations. people that need to equate the evils of religion to "pushing anti-god" are a serous threat freedom everywhere. They are a threat precisely because they are not being honest or they are incapable of being honest.

look at the gospel nonsense. literally true or literally false. Its exposes the two sides as the problem. its not religion or atheism, its those types of people that are the problem.
If they are a "problem" then the only people they are hurting is themself. What they think is so important to them is only being broadcast to the walls of their echo chamber. Or to the imaginary person sitting across them at the bar or tavern, which they are still sitting at in the dark hours after the place has closed down for the night, and the person is just their jacket thrown across the chair. But they keep drinking and think that they are getting funnier the more they drink. But those "laughs" they think they hear are really just their own words reverberating back and forth across the mirrored walls. Sitting alone in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,438 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Reputation: 20299
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Arach, this is one of the most truthful things I've heard you say. Some of those atheists are confused right now because they were never Christians in what they consider their "ex-Christian" days. But they still believe that they were because they recognize other people who are like they once were, but who are still in the church. But the churches are full of confused people. The only thing that is now in the way of their knowing the true light of the glory of Christ is their arrogance and pride.

Some of the pantheists who post here might have lost a small amount of pride, and so they believe they have discovered the truth. But they still look down on believers, which means that they are still struggling with pride and arrogance. This is the FAIR way that God judges people. So it really is the person who is choosing not to believe.

If anyone looks down on other people, you can never really forgive them or love them and consider all people as better than yourself. That is what Paul commanded us to do in Christ.
Once again we have Ozzy deciding who is a "real" christian. That's above your pay grade, Ozzy...not to mention that it's morally wrong. If there is a god, he'll decide. It's not up to you.

Did it ever occur to you, Ozzy, that perhaps you're one of the confused people that you claim the churches are full of?

And if the churches are full of confused people, then that weakens the strength in numbers argument that so many of you folks use.

And finally, Ozzy, you just spend a whole post looking down on others, so by your own words you should never be forgiven or loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top