Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM

141 posts, read 58,768 times

Advertisements

(Transponder, be patient and tolerant with me!!! Chuckle!)

Ok, I really don't wanna be a Postaholic...so, hopefully, this will be my last "Original" post. I simply don't have time for one thing. Secondly, I ain't that smart and I don't claim to be...

That being said, I do share this...
People ask me why I have the drive, the urge, the compelling need to share the good news of Jesus with other's that, quite often, simply don't believe it nor want to hear it...

I get that. So, I'll offer this, what I acknowledge to be, weak analogy.

Let's say all the people in these forums were good friends of mine. I care about this, and--yeah--I even love them--for real.

Now, somehow, someway, I found the most amazing pizza the world has ever known. I'm talking "Nectar of the God's" level and quality. There simply is nothing like it---in my experience anyway.

Now, I have 2 basic options. Keep this to myself and revel in it, or...spread the news to those that I care about. To tell them that this...is worth checking out.

I choose option 2. But, this is the bottomline...
I can only tell about this amazing food product. I can only tell what I've experienced myself. I can just share, from my heart, something I hope they too can experience.

After that? Well, after that, it's out of my hands. I can't convince anybody of anything. I can't shove "My Pizza" down their throats. I can't make anybody do anything. And, I even respect their choice to turn their backs, tell me to shut the heck up about my pizza, and refuse to even nibble. Or, they taste but say "It ain't for me..."

I tell, I share, I urge...then it's up to the Grand Chef of said pizza to convince other's.

That's why I share Christ with other's. Man, I was living in a pig pen of life. I was desperately gobbling up all the slop the world could throw my way---desperately trying to convince myself I was happy and fulfilled. (though I always felt a "empty spot" in my gut) I was wallowing in "junk"...

I was rescued from that. I was pulled from a slimy pit and redeemed. And, I owe everything to God above.

I know some will ridicule this. And, I get that...as I've said elsewhere---at a time in my life I'd probably been right in the middle of that...I understand the mindset of "You're an empty minded, clueless Christian".

Anyway, again, I'm rambling...this is way too long.
But, that is my story...as best I can relay in print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:45 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
People ask me why I have the drive, the urge, the compelling need to share the good news of Jesus with other's that, quite often, simply don't believe it nor want to hear it...

Welcome to the forum. May I ask, what is your version of the "good news of Jesus"?

Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
CasualVisitor, thanks for your post. I'm genuinely happy you're enjoying your pizza, and I can understand your enthusiasm in wanting other people to be able to know how good it tastes. That's totally fine. Just remember that "real pizza" doesn't always need to have pepperoni on it. It can have pineapple instead. Pineapple on pizza just isn't my thing, but it works well for some pizza lovers. Also, many steak lovers also credit God with everything they have, and who knows, maybe He gave them steak for a reason you don't quite understand.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Welcome to the forum. May I ask, what is your version of the "good news of Jesus"?
I preface this with acknowledgement...there are MANY different "takes" on that...

But, you asked mine? Jesus Christ died for my sins and for the sins of mankind. He is, as He said, The Way, the Truth, The Life...and none come to the Father but by Him. He is...the savior of the world.

Again, I realize this flies directly in the face of many theologies and beliefs. But, it's the cornerstone of my life. Could I be wrong? Sure, it's possible. But, I choose to stake my life on...this is truth.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
CasualVisitor, thanks for your post. I'm genuinely happy you're enjoying your pizza, and I can understand your enthusiasm in wanting other people to be able to know how good it tastes. That's totally fine. Just remember that "real pizza" doesn't always need to have pepperoni on it. It can have pineapple instead. Pineapple on pizza just isn't my thing, but it works well for some pizza lovers. Also, many steak lovers also credit God with everything they have, and who knows, maybe He gave them steak for a reason you don't quite understand.
Katz (tips my hat in acknowledgement)
Well said...and, yes, for real...I respect that and I get what you're saying.
Well stated and clearly conveyed. Kudo's.
That deserves a "reputation" point. (smile)
All best,

Old 03-01-2019, 08:51 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
(Transponder, be patient and tolerant with me!!! Chuckle!)

Ok, I really don't wanna be a Postaholic...so, hopefully, this will be my last "Original" post. I simply don't have time for one thing. Secondly, I ain't that smart and I don't claim to be...

I get that. So, I'll offer this, what I acknowledge to be, weak analogy.

Let's say all the people in these forums were good friends of mine. I care about this, and--yeah--I even love them--for real.

Now, somehow, someway, I found the most amazing pizza the world has ever known. I'm talking "Nectar of the God's" level and quality. There simply is nothing like it---in my experience anyway.

Now, I have 2 basic options. Keep this to myself and revel in it, or...spread the news to those that I care about. To tell them that this...is worth checking out.

I choose option 2. But, this is the bottomline...
I can only tell about this amazing food product. I can only tell what I've experienced myself. I can just share, from my heart, something I hope they too can experience.

After that? Well, after that, it's out of my hands. I can't convince anybody of anything. I can't shove "My Pizza" down their throats. I can't make anybody do anything. And, I even respect their choice to turn their backs, tell me to shut the heck up about my pizza, and refuse to even nibble. Or, they taste but say "It ain't for me..."

I tell, I share, I urge...then it's up to the Grand Chef of said pizza to convince other's.

That's why I share Christ with other's. Man, I was living in a pig pen of life. I was desperately gobbling up all the slop the world could throw my way---desperately trying to convince myself I was happy and fulfilled. (though I always felt a "empty spot" in my gut) I was wallowing in "junk"...

I was rescued from that. I was pulled from a slimy pit and redeemed. And, I owe everything to God above.

I know some will ridicule this. And, I get that...as I've said elsewhere---at a time in my life I'd probably been right in the middle of that...I understand the mindset of "You're an empty minded, clueless Christian".

Anyway, again, I'm rambling...this is way too long.
But, that is my story...as best I can relay in print.
To continue with your food analogy:

I really like mushrooms...on pizza, with pasta, in gravies, etc. I have a close friend who practically gags at the sight of mushrooms. I respect her feelings on the topic, and when she and her husband come over for dinner, I don't serve mushrooms.

I like spicy food...especially Thai. I have a close friend who hates spicy food. When she comes over for dinner, I tone all the dishes down in terms of spiciness, and have red pepper flakes handy for those of us who want to spike things up a bit.

I don't hover around these people saying they should try mushrooms or spiciness. I respect their personal tastes. I don't tell, share, or urge them to convert them to spicy food or mushrooms because I respect the individual. I respect their desire not to nibble. Just as I respect their religion and don't try to get them to nibble at Buddhism.

Last edited by phetaroi; 03-01-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I preface this with acknowledgement...there are MANY different "takes" on that...
True.

Quote:
But, you asked mine? Jesus Christ died for my sins and for the sins of mankind. He is, as He said, The Way, the Truth, The Life...and none come to the Father but by Him. He is...the savior of the world.
Okay, but, what does that mean, in your understanding, and why is it good news?

ETA: I think I should ask, why is it you believe "the world" needs a savior? What do they need to be saved from?

Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
True.

Okay, but, what does that mean, in your understanding, and why is it good news?
It means, to me...that there is far more than what my eyes see right now. There is a hope and a future. It means I don't go to a cold, empty grave, nor do I go to a place of eternal agony. I go to an eternity with my Father...there are no Tears in Heaven.

As to your comment about Mushrooms. Again, I understand what you say. That's why I state--I will not try to shove this down somebody's throat. I mention it and desperately try to not be over bearing. I don't criticize other faiths and beliefs.

With your friends, my take would be--have you at least tried mushrooms? (for years, I hated pizza---before I tasted it. Yes, real world analogy)

If they have, so be it...they hate mushrooms. 'Nuff said.
If not...just to get them to nibble would be my goal because they might be missing something entirely tasty.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
CV, your story is one I've heard dozens of times: An empty life of booze, drugs, pain and misery + hitting bottom + finding "God" = sobriety, and a new, positive way of living.

Good for you. And I mean that seriously. But most of us, believers and non, are doing just fine. I personally think the Abrahamic god is a disgusting monster deserving of nothing but contempt. I admire much of what Jesus purportedly taught but don't believe he was a god-thing's son who worked miracles.

Your "good news" is old news or no news to most of us. But I'm glad you found a recipe for a positive life change.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It means, to me...that there is far more than what my eyes see right now. There is a hope and a future. It means I don't go to a cold, empty grave, nor do I go to a place of eternal agony. I go to an eternity with my Father...there are no Tears in Heaven.
I also believe there is hope and a future, and I certainly don't believe anyone will be going to a place of eternal agony. I'm glad that you have found peace. But I'm wondering if you think anyone who is not a Christian can't also have peace within their belief system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality