U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM
 
8,558 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Reputation: 21935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I think you miss the point.... It isn't "seeing Christianity in buildings" that people are talking about when they say Christians are trying to get their beliefs in government and education. They are talking about all the Christians that try to influence legislation and what kids are taught in school (namely their personal religious preference) based off of their religious beliefs. The people trying to make others live by their specific religions rules, or at least their specific denominations (since we all know even Christians of differing denominations can't agree on much). The main one being things like gay rights and anti-discrimination laws.

Just wanted to point that out.
I'm a devout Christian (the kind that read the New Testament and believes in it) and am fighting for rights for gay people and am firmly in the camp trying to outlaw discrimination. I'm in the trenches trying to better the life of people who are marginalized (and I'm not referring to merely discussing stuff on the internet).

What would probably work best is if those of the Christian faith split off from those who just want to bang people across the head with their Bible who didn't bother to read the Red Letter version of their Bibles.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,556 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a devout Christian (the kind that read the New Testament and believes in it) and am fighting for rights for gay people and am firmly in the camp trying to outlaw discrimination. I'm in the trenches trying to better the life of people who are marginalized (and I'm not referring to merely discussing stuff on the internet).
How are you doing that? By lighting a candle?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM
 
8,558 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Reputation: 21935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
How are you doing that? By lighting a candle?
So this would be an interesting test. I love analogies, and I fully and totally get that "lighting a candle" has nothing whatsoever to do with flame or wax.

So for those who are interested, a question. Remember when the SAT test had analogies (fish is to ocean as giraffe is to _____)?

How many of us rocked that section and were very sad to see it removed because a lot of students simply couldn't do it? I couldn't do the section where you had to fold up those boxes along the dotted lines and figure out what the shape would be in the end. Struggled with that.

But I can do analogies all day.

(I'm not going to put all the things I do in the community here Rafius. It's immaterial, personal and self-identifying).

So. Who gets analogies, and who thinks that Light A Single Candle is literally a safety directive to store candles and matches in case of power outages?

Those people probably think the Parable of the Sower and the Seeds is a lesson in farming. And there's a reason Jesus used Parables to preach - because he was purposely trying to talk over the heads of the people he didn't want to understand what he was saying. Clever, that.

And it appears that using Analogies, one can talk right over the heads of posters on the internet also. ;D
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,403 posts, read 474,654 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a devout Christian (the kind that read the New Testament and believes in it) and am fighting for rights for gay people and am firmly in the camp trying to outlaw discrimination. I'm in the trenches trying to better the life of people who are marginalized (and I'm not referring to merely discussing stuff on the internet).

What would probably work best is if those of the Christian faith split off from those who just want to bang people across the head with their Bible who didn't bother to read the Red Letter version of their Bibles.
Which is great, but doesn't negate the fact that a large portion of Christians either do those things, or support those who want to do those things. So, even when claiming to support those causes, many don't in practice. For instance, you said you live in Texas, right? If someone says that they are fighting for gay rights and anti-discrimination, but vote for Ted Cruz, they are saying it but not living it. Hopefully that makes sense?

Really though, I am happy that you feel that way and wish more people did. After all, all of us that are not straight are just people, just like you and everyone else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
20,722 posts, read 9,684,054 times
Reputation: 19474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'd say they're addicted to anti Christian rage, and like with all addicts, you don't change your drug of choice easily. To switch their rage target to something else would be difficult and would leave them in withdrawal. There are rage addict targets of choice all across the spectrum, this forum just seems to be a back alley strewn with dirty needles dripping anti Christian hate. *shrugs and gets another cup of coffee*

Among the rage addicts, though, I think there are people who are genuinely interested in discussing religious beliefs, although they don't hold any themselves, and so it makes for an interesting board.
You have just won the Hyperbole Award Of The Day. Congratulations!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,694 posts, read 3,242,520 times
Reputation: 3977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So this would be an interesting test. I love analogies, and I fully and totally get that "lighting a candle" has nothing whatsoever to do with flame or wax.

So for those who are interested, a question. Remember when the SAT test had analogies (fish is to ocean as giraffe is to _____)?

How many of us rocked that section and were very sad to see it removed because a lot of students simply couldn't do it? I couldn't do the section where you had to fold up those boxes along the dotted lines and figure out what the shape would be in the end. Struggled with that.

But I can do analogies all day.

(I'm not going to put all the things I do in the community here Rafius. It's immaterial, personal and self-identifying).

So. Who gets analogies, and who thinks that Light A Single Candle is literally a safety directive to store candles and matches in case of power outages?

Those people probably think the Parable of the Sower and the Seeds is a lesson in farming. And there's a reason Jesus used Parables to preach - because he was purposely trying to talk over the heads of the people he didn't want to understand what he was saying. Clever, that.

And it appears that using Analogies, one can talk right over the heads of posters on the internet also. ;D
What they ought to do is teach analogies better and force students to improve and get better.

But that's how our education system of today works.

If the kids can't do it, just remove whatever is too hard for them and replace it with something else. Like coloring, connect the dots, or identifying whether this is blue, red, or green.

Wouldn't want the students to actually have to think, now, that's for sure. Pretty soon they'll remove English altogether as a taught subject and replace it with texting - so if you spell the word "really" the right way, you'll get it marked wrong. Because the correct way now is "rlly" - vowels are optional. Unless you count the letter 'y.'

You'll also get bonus points if you can shave off 1 or 2 letters by replacing it with a number. Then you'll get a gr8 score!

It's no wonder why even kids from Costa Rica beat the pants off our students here in America. It's probably why every time I see a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or computer tech guy, he has a Chinese, Indian, Tai, Korean, Taiwanese, or Japanese name - we have to import everything else, might as well import our brain power too.

What I find hysterical though is how the televangelists will tell everyone how horrible atheists are - and then bring a bunch of people here from atheist nations to stop the hemorrhaging of our national IQ.

Anyway, I thought the analogy portion of tests was the easiest part.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
 
8,558 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Reputation: 21935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What they ought to do is teach analogies better and force students to improve and get better.

But that's how our education system of today works.

If the kids can't do it, just remove whatever is too hard for them and replace it with something else. Like coloring, connect the dots, or identifying whether this is blue, red, or green.

Wouldn't want the students to actually have to think, now, that's for sure. Pretty soon they'll remove English altogether as a taught subject and replace it with texting - so if you spell the word "really" the right way, you'll get it marked wrong. Because the correct way now is "rlly" - vowels are optional. Unless you count the letter 'y.'

You'll also get bonus points if you can shave off 1 or 2 letters by replacing it with a number. Then you'll get a gr8 score!

It's no wonder why even kids from Costa Rica beat the pants off our students here in America. It's probably why every time I see a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or computer tech guy, he has a Chinese, Indian, Tai, Korean, Taiwanese, or Japanese name - we have to import everything else, might as well import our brain power too.

What I find hysterical though is how the televangelists will tell everyone how horrible atheists are - and then bring a bunch of people here from atheist nations to stop the hemorrhaging of our national IQ.

Anyway, I thought the analogy portion of tests was the easiest part.
As I understood it, the analogy portion was removed because the creators of the SAT determined there wasn't a correlation between people who do analogies well and people who are academically successful in higher education. Since the SAT's purpose is to give college admission boards another tool to determine which students will be successful at their institutions. So they felt it was kind of pointless to measure that ability and ding students when it isn't really relatable to how well they do in college.

I don't know that you can teach the ability to grasp the analogy questions - I think you either do it effortlessly or you really struggle with it. Like some people can easily descramble words in puzzles, and others can't.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Status: "Freedom - Diversity - Unity" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Mars City
4,730 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Reputation: 6763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Says a guy who believes he is part of a special group of people who know the "real truth" and will be the only ones with an invite to heaven.
I'm not part of any group, special or otherwise. You're the one who's created that image in your own mind, and you don't even know me. Who goes to heaven, or if there even is a heaven, can't be guaranteed by any of us down here. Same old tired and aimless tactics there Bud.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,403 posts, read 474,654 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not part of any group, special or otherwise. You're the one who's created that image in your own mind, and you don't even know me. Who goes to heaven, or if there even is a heaven, is a personal viewpoint. Tired old tactics there Bud.
Okay guy. If you say so.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,107 posts, read 19,271,688 times
Reputation: 22312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And there's a reason Jesus used Parables to preach - because he was purposely trying to talk over the heads of the people he didn't want to understand what he was saying. Clever, that.
So much for trying to bring everyone around to salvation.
No wonder it's taken so long.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top