U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM

8,547 posts, read 3,349,389 times

Advertisements

There are these two personality types.

There are people who position themselves by what they're "for". Whatever that might be. And they surround themselves with people who are also "for" those things, and if it's a cause (say, wildlife rehab) they do it.

Then there are other people, who look around for something they are "against". They define themselves not by what they are "for", but rather, what they are against. And they rally with others who are also against that, and spend their time deriding those who believe in whatever that is. They spend a great deal of time making fun of people who are "for" something, and tearing down their causes.

Just an observation. Everyone defines themselves in some way. I know what I'm "for". I guess you're clear what you're "against", OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 AM

14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

There are people who position themselves by what they're "for". Whatever that might be. And they surround themselves with people who are also "for" those things, and if it's a cause (say, wildlife rehab) they do it.

Then there are other people, who look around for something they are "against". They define themselves not by what they are "for", but rather, what they are against. And they rally with others who are also against that, and spend their time deriding those who believe in whatever that is. They spend a great deal of time making fun of people who are "for" something, and tearing down their causes.
...and just why wouldn't someone want to tear down a lie?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and just why wouldn't someone want to tear down a lie?
It's an observation about personality, Rafius. This is true in face to face life, and it's amplified on message boards.

Some are for stuff, some are against stuff.

You must have things that you are "for", Rafius. Whatever they may be.

But here you are, fighting with what you are "against".

Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You say 'wrong video', but a good introduction to why history does not in fact validate Jesus. I might add to the note that Josephus may have been altered by Christians that there is good reason to think that the Flavian Testament in Josephus is a total forgery.
Indeed my dear old cabbage. The word's foremost authority on Josephus, Louis H. Feldman, who has written fifteen books on Josephus and 138 articles on Josephus and Judaism writes says this...

"We may remark here on the passage in Josephus which has occasioned by far more comment than any other, the so-called Testimonium Flavianum (Ant. XVIII. 63 - 4) concerning Jesus. The passage appears in all our manuscripts; but a considerable number of Christian writers - Pseudo-Justin and Theophilus in the second century, Minucius Felix, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Julius Africanus, Tertullian, Hippolytus and Origen in the third century, and Methodius and Pseudo-Eustathius in the early fourth century - who knew Josephus and cited from his works do not refer to this passage, though one would imagine that it would be the first passage that a Christian apologist would cite. In particular, Origen (Contra Celsum 1.47 and Commentary on Matthew 10.17), who certainly knew Book 18 of the Antiquities and cites five passages from it, explicitly states that Josephus did not believe in Jesus as Christ. The first to cite the Testimonium is Eusebius (c. 324); and even after him, we may note, there are eleven Christian writers who cite Josephus but not the Testimonium. In fact, it is not until Jerome in the early fifth century that we have another reference to it'

Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 AM

36,561 posts, read 9,873,907 times
Quote:

Just an observation. Everyone defines themselves in some way. I know what I'm "for". I guess you're clear what you're "against", OP.
Using the 'bias' accusation is irrelevant. What the arguments for an against and how well they stand up, is what is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
If Christianity is true, why do Christians tell so many lies to keep it afloat? Post your videos exposing the Christian scammers .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oqFCbZKoPs
Sounds like Tony Robinson reading the script. I remember an extensive discussion with Pheuma on this. Even if the fragments are ok, it only means that Jews went to 'Nazareth' (which could be the name of the general area) after the Jewish war and settle in a new or rebuilt place that could have been called anything.
But at the time, the finding of the fragment sounded fishy. How could a fragment like that have been missed during excavation and only found is spoil afterwards? I've done archaeological digging and know that this is very unlikely to happen. What is more unlikely is that the fragment would vanish afterwards.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
It's an observation about personality, Rafius. This is true in face to face life, and it's amplified on message boards.

Some are for stuff, some are against stuff.

You must have things that you are "for", Rafius. Whatever they may be.

But here you are, fighting with what you are "against".
Let's say I fight for truth...and gospel Jesus is not true, so I fight against it. I thought you Christians were all for 'truth'?

So do you have anything to contradict the videos?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Tony Robinson reading the script. I remember an extensive discussion with Pheuma on this. Even if the fragments are ok, it only means that Jews went to 'Nazareth' (which could be the name of the general area) after the Jewish war and settle in a new or rebuilt place that could have been called anything. But at the time, the finding of the fragment sounded fishy. How could a fragment like that have been missed during excavation and only found is spoil afterwards? I've done archaeological digging and know that this is very unlikely to happen. What is more unlikely is that the fragment would vanish afterwards.
Yes. That Jerry Vardaman was a right villain too. I remember his 'coin' well.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Using the 'bias' accusation is irrelevant. What the arguments for an against and how well they stand up, is what is relevant.

I'm not saying anything about bias, (not sure what you mean) I'm noting that some people fight FOR stuff, and some people fight AGAINST stuff.

There was this guy years ago, at a local Lakeside park called Hippie Hollow. It was a nudist park, but don't get your hopes up, most of what you could see there you'd wish you could unsee.

There was this guy who spent every weekend there, with huge banners denouncing nudity, and denouncing the park in general and he'd shout at the crowd at varying intervals.

They pretty much went on partying and doing whatever, with their unattractive naked selves.

For someone who is against nudity, it's curious he'd spend every single weekend there, purposely surrounding himself with nudists.

Anyway, that crossed my mind when I opened this thread.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
For someone who is against nudity, it's curious he'd spend every single weekend there, purposely surrounding himself with nudists.
Why does that seem curious to you? When I protested against blood sports in th UK, I went to fox-hunts. Where else would I go?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Anyway, that crossed my mind when I opened this thread.
Why don't you look at the videos and show where they are wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality