U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 AM

36,561 posts, read 9,873,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're interested in the safety of foxes, working for a foundation that buys up large tracts of land and prohibits fox hunting would most likely do more good than you yelling at fox hunters. Unless, of course, what you enjoy is yelling at people you disagree with rather than working quietly toward something you agree with.

And for the rest of this, I tend not to try to waste my time talking to people who are clearly not interested in what I have to say.

They're just looking for a canvas of thoughts to further disagree with.

So, yeah.
So, ok. Nobody is forcing you to engage with us. But why are you here waving a banner "I see no point in talking to these people" if you are not interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 AM

14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're interested in the safety of foxes, working for a foundation that buys up large tracts of land and prohibits fox hunting would most likely do more good than you yelling at fox hunters. Unless, of course, what you enjoy is yelling at people you disagree with rather than working quietly toward something you agree with.
...and in the meantime, thousands of foxes that are not on the sanctuary are still being mercilessly tortured by a pack of howling, baying, snapping, blood-thirsty animals - and their dogs.

Quote:
And for the rest of this, I tend not to try to waste my time talking to people who are clearly not interested in what I have to say.
You haven't said anything yet. Comment on the videos. Show where they are wrong.

(Looks like there is another Christian flounce coming TRANS)

Quote:
They're just looking for a canvas of thoughts to further disagree with.
No. You just can't refute the claims and thus, all you have left is to accuse people of not being nice followed by the inevitable Christian flounce.

Quote:
So, yeah.
'Yeah' indeed. I'm surprised you don't toss your hair back with... 'Whatever'.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 AM

3,611 posts, read 667,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This (about Mark) is not actually true.

Mar 1:9

And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.

True, Mark does not say from the Town of Nazareth - it could refer to the district of Nazareth - the area near lake Genessaret. After which a town settled in the 2nd century might be named - not a pre -existing town.
It is most unusual that it says both Nazareth and Galilee. That, and the fact that it is not in the the parallel passages in Matthew or Luke suggest it was added later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There's also the 'rejection at Nazareth' which is also in Mark. I'll look that up.

6.1 He went away from there and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. 2 And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, “Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him. 4 And Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.” 5 And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And he marveled because of their unbelief.

Mark mentions his hometown, but doesn't name it. Matthew and Luke assume that it is Nazareth.
Yes, you are reading Nazareth back into the text. Mark 2:1 says Jesus went back to Capernaum, which was his home.

Mark 2:1 "And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home".

Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Excellent observations chaps.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 AM

229 posts, read 39,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and in the meantime, thousands of foxes that are not on the sanctuary are still being mercilessly tortured by a pack of howling, baying, snapping, blood-thirsty animals - and their dogs.
Oh, I see what you did there.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Oh, I see what you did there.
Try to keep up Heela!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:17 AM

229 posts, read 39,176 times
Quote:
Try to keep up Heela!
Of course, now you have opened yourself up for.... "but humans aren't animals."

Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Indeed! 'I AM NOT A MONKEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8x5WWDcNg

Last edited by Rafius; 03-05-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM

53,551 posts, read 52,596,748 times
Quote:
Still my all-time favorite response to one of my posts:

Me: I think sometimes I believe there is some sort of God because I want to believe that we are more than just talking monkeys.

Mordant: We ARE more than talking monkeys. We are storytelling monkeys!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Dammit! Now I can't stop singing it. I'm possessed by a demon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality