U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM

4,720 posts, read 1,837,220 times

Advertisements

It's obviously easier for many to just assume that Christianity is bogus and write it off, than get some balls to investigate it fully and entirely. By that, I mean, 1) drop the assumptions and conditionings of others, 2) read the Gospels (New Testament where Jesus' life and ministry are discussed) with an open-mind, 3) go to a noise-free area to pray without pre-judgment to see if something might truly be there, and 4) give it some time to develop that 6th sense. Only those who can truthfully claim that have a right to reject it due to it being personally tested.

Most here are of the most closed-minded, limited-thinking, and void of a desire for experience, quest, and even adventure. Instead of making Christianity look bad, they only shoot themselves in the foot. Aim low, see nothing. Nice.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-05-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:57 AM

14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's obviously easier for many to just assume that Christianity is bogus and write it off, than get some balls to investigate it fully and entirely. By that, I mean, 1) drop the assumptions and life socializations entirely, 2) read the Gospels (New Testament where Jesus' life and ministry are discussed), 3) go to a noise-free area to clear one's mind and pray openly, to see if something might truly be there, and 4) give it some time to develop that 6th sense.

Most here are of the most closed-minded, limited-thinking, and void of a desire for experience, quest, and even adventure.
You are refuted by the number of ex-Christians here.

Quote:
Instead of making Christianity look bad,
It needs no help from us.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM

36,561 posts, read 9,873,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is most unusual that it says both Nazareth and Galilee. That, and the fact that it is not in the the parallel passages in Matthew or Luke suggest it was added later.
Off the top of my head, i think it does. Yes, Luke 4 says 'Nazareth, where he was brought up' (and he still sticks in their throat apparently)

Mathew 13 says Jesus went to his own country (where the 'rejection' happens) but doesn't say where it was. As the video points out a small hamlet of 'Nazareth' would not have its' own synagogue. It has to be a decent sized town of 600 families at least. And that is what archaeology does not reveal.

Quote:
Yes, you are reading Nazareth back into the text. Mark 2:1 says Jesus went back to Capernaum, which was his home.

Mark 2:1 "And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home".
I'm not reading anything in. 6.1 says Jesus went to his 'own country' but does not say where that was. Sure he goes to Capernaum which (as Matthew also says) was his 'own city. He lived there.

So Mark says 'his own country' and so does Matthew. It is Luke that says it was Nazareth. Mark does say that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee to the Jordan for Baptism. So I'm saying that only Luke identifies Nazareth as the place of the 'rejection', but Mark does mention Nazareth in Galilee. Matthew (in the context of the baptism) says 'from Galilee' and Luke doesn't even say where he came from. he was just There for the baptism.

Thus it Looks like 'Nazareth' is a gloss - addition by Mark, one of many - which makes me think that the present Mark is Not the original Synoptic gospel but itself an edition of it with alterations and additions by Mark.

However the point is that the video overlooks that Mark does indeed mention Nazareth as a place to come from, and not just what could be read as 'Jesus the Nazarene'.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM

24,777 posts, read 12,813,560 times
Those in the various denominational hierarchies who have a ve$ted intere$t in promulgating Christianity have no compunctions about lying for Je$u$.

But I think Joe/Jane Average Christian don't, or rarely, actively lie. They simply accept as true that which is not provable or well-evidenced. And they pass it on.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mathew 13 says Jesus went to his own country (where the 'rejection' happens) but doesn't say where it was. As the video points out a small hamlet of 'Nazareth' would not have its' own synagogue. It has to be a decent sized town of 600 families at least. And that is what archaeology does not reveal.
Indeed dear old bat. Hard to see how anyone can argue against that.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 AM

3,611 posts, read 667,189 times
Quote:
It's obviously easier for many to just assume that Christianity is bogus and write it off, than get some balls to investigate it fully and entirely. By that, I mean, 1) drop the assumptions and conditionings of others, 2) read the Gospels (New Testament where Jesus' life and ministry are discussed) with an open-mind, 3) go to a noise-free area to pray openly without pre-judgment to see if something might truly be there, and 4) give it some time to develop that 6th sense. Only those who can truthfully claim that have a right to reject it due to it being personally tested.
Then learn Koine Greek, and then read the early Christian fathers with an open mind. You have decades of work to do.

Quote:
Most here are of the most closed-minded, limited-thinking, and void of a desire for experience, quest, and even adventure. Instead of making Christianity look bad, they only shoot themselves in the foot. Aim low, see nothing. Nice.
Your projection is quiet powerful.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM

3,611 posts, read 667,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Off the top of my head, i think it does. Yes, Luke 4 says 'Nazareth, where he was brought up' (and he still sticks in their throat apparently)

They are not the parallel passages, where Jesus is baptized.

Matt 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
Luke 3:21 Now it happened, when all the people were baptized, Jesus also had been baptized, and was praying. The sky was opened,

Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Then learn Koine Greek, and then read the early Christian fathers with an open mind. You have decades of work to do.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM

4,720 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
I said investigate; most of which is not reading. There's no reason to learn another language. That's dumb. The experts have already done their work. I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

The reading is only to get the basics for groundwork to know who Jesus was. It should be done, but then one moves on. The last thing I'm going to do is sit around analyzing scripture under the microscope. Jesus was out among people, in the real world. He wasn't in isolation with his nose to books, or even walking around with scrolls in his hand. You can take that approach if you want, but it's neither Jesus' way nor mine.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:24 PM

20,702 posts, read 9,684,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There are these two personality types.

There are people who position themselves by what they're "for". Whatever that might be. And they surround themselves with people who are also "for" those things, and if it's a cause (say, wildlife rehab) they do it.

Then there are other people, who look around for something they are "against". They define themselves not by what they are "for", but rather, what they are against. And they rally with others who are also against that, and spend their time deriding those who believe in whatever that is. They spend a great deal of time making fun of people who are "for" something, and tearing down their causes.

Just an observation. Everyone defines themselves in some way. I know what I'm "for". I guess you're clear what you're "against", OP.
And each can be good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality