U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 AM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,691 posts, read 3,242,520 times
Reputation: 3977

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Um, no.

It goes: It is better to light one single candle than curse the darkness. The lighting the candle IS the action.

(I'm taking the time to explain this because it's actually likely, based on your prior postings, you don't understand what this common adage means).

Again, unless as I've stated before, you get more pleasure out of cursing the darkness than trying to work for change.
Working for change - like, changing the forum to get people banned? Is that what you mean?

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To Christians, Jesus is the image of the living God which has been accepted by so many people. The fact that he has endured since the first century is proof that his image is a true one. So no one can deny Christianity when viewing it from that perspective.
So, as I asked you yesterday I think it was and you ignored, do you accept that Ganesh and all the Hindu gods are real because they have endured 2000 years LONGER than your Jesus? Watch him avoid it folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 AM
 
9,654 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So, as I asked you yesterday I think it was and you ignored, do you accept that Ganesh and all the Hindu gods are real because they have endured 2000 years LONGER than your Jesus? Watch him avoid it folks.
I respect all the major religions like Hinduism, Islam, etc. They are just different ways that people in that culture worship. I honestly don't know much about Hinduism, and it would be difficult for someone like myself to even study it. Though I have made attempts. I would rather visit the country first where it is practiced. I have a good friend who incorporates both Christianity and Hinduism in his own faith.
Is it not enough to say that I respect it and accept it???
Other cultures are different, but people often convert to Christianity when they migrate to a western country. They have visions of Jesus which to me means that they have a new understanding of our culture. And vice-versa, I'm sure that Christians who migrate to foreign lands adopt the foreign religions.
It's all GOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I respect all the major religions like Hinduism, Islam, etc. They are just different ways that people in that culture worship. I honestly don't know much about Hinduism, and it would be difficult for someone like myself to even study it. Though I have made attempts. I would rather visit the country first where it is practiced. I have a good friend who incorporates both Christianity and Hinduism in his own faith.
Is it not enough to say that I respect it and accept it???
Other cultures are different, but people often convert to Christianity when they migrate to a western country. They have visions of Jesus which to me means that they have a new understanding of our culture. And vice-versa, I'm sure that Christians who migrate to foreign lands adopt the foreign religions.
It's all GOOD.
Thast's not what I asked you. You said:

'Jesus is the image of the living God which has been accepted by so many people. The fact that he has endured since the first century is proof that his image is a true one.'

So the question is:
Do you accept that Hinduism is true based on it's longevity (2000 years older than Christianity), in the same way that you think Christianity is true...based on it's longevity? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM
 
9,654 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Thast's not what I asked you. You said:

'Jesus is the image of the living God which has been accepted by so many people. The fact that he has endured since the first century is proof that his image is a true one.'

So the question is:
Do you accept that Hinduism is true based on it's longevity (2000 years older than Christianity), in the same way that you think Christianity is true...based on it's longevity? If not, why not?
Yes

But I don't think you really care what someone like myself believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
14,554 posts, read 9,986,148 times
Reputation: 2502
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes
Ok good. So now please explain how two opposing religions, Christianity and Hinduism, can both be true. I'm intrigued!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:56 AM
 
9,654 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ok good. So now please explain how two opposing religions, Christianity and Hinduism, can both be true. I'm intrigued!
No. I'm sure someone else has described it better as "different aspects" of the same divine.

I want to know what your personal motive is for asking a question like that. Religious beliefs are set in stone against skeptics like yourself. You are never going to change what other people believe. So what is your purpose in even debating these things? As a non-believer you should know that someone's belief shouldn't matter to you... or does it? Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a reason that atheists are so obsessed with religion. What are you seeking? Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Reputation: 21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes

But I don't think you really care what someone like myself believes.
Exactly. Exactly, Ozzy.

I'm turning a new leaf, and only answering questions that appear sincere.

My post count here on this forum is about to come to a screeching halt. ;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM
 
9,654 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Exactly. Exactly, Ozzy.

I'm turning a new leaf, and only answering questions that appear sincere.

My post count here on this forum is about to come to a screeching halt. ;D
What I meant, Clara, is that he is probably more concerned with what the majority members of a religion believe. But I also agree with your attitude 100%.

I wonder why so many western atheists probably have no real problem with the non-western views of Hell or the variations in eastern religions, but they seem to be so obsessed with the Christian version. It's pretty funny actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 3,349,389 times
Reputation: 21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What I meant, Clara, is that he is probably more concerned with what the majority members of a religion believe. But I also agree with your attitude 100%.

I wonder why so many western atheists probably have no real problem with the non-western views of Hell or the variations in eastern religions, but they seem to be so obsessed with the Christian version. It's pretty funny actually.
I'd say they're addicted to anti Christian rage, and like with all addicts, you don't change your drug of choice easily. To switch their rage target to something else would be difficult and would leave them in withdrawal. There are rage addict targets of choice all across the spectrum, this forum just seems to be a back alley strewn with dirty needles dripping anti Christian hate. *shrugs and gets another cup of coffee*

Among the rage addicts, though, I think there are people who are genuinely interested in discussing religious beliefs, although they don't hold any themselves, and so it makes for an interesting board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top