U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM

6,041 posts, read 1,940,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is the podcast, but it is long (almost an hour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W8whLus684
Well worth the hour investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,539,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I listened to an interview. He said that his "inner voice" is telling him the same things it always had, but he just doesn't believe it is God anymore.

He also said that he overcame some personal struggles and issues which he had apparently dealt with for many years, after leaving Christianity.
Any details beyond that? I'm sure it might not be good publicity if he is too specific, but still... I'd like to hear some details. After all, his career, like Katty Perry's, is usually not the stepping stone into major secular fame.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM

9,730 posts, read 12,355,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Any details beyond that? I'm sure it might not be good publicity if he is too specific, but still... I'd like to hear some details. After all, his career, like Katty Perry's, is usually not the stepping stone into major secular fame.
It's just the usual kind of things you would normally hear in the OPPOSITE direction. Such as, people finding faith, and then overcoming things like addiction.

So it's interesting for a person to leave a faith position and THEN finding the inner strength to overcome the addiction. Usually you hear it when people become "born again" Christians, and they find that strength in Christ.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again....so he "came to realize" that the thing he believed all along was not real. I personally have never had a "god voice" in my head. Never claimed to. It's not Biblical. If that's what he actually said, then it tells me that he really never had a Biblical faith to begin with. And it's no more a disproof for God than my faith is a reason for everyone that reads this to convert on the spot.
Excuse me, did you have a Bagel for breakfast? I'd rather not argue with you over that like I do with my wife. We are a forum family, not a household one. (nice status update)

What he meant by "god voice" in his head was most certainly "Holy Spirit"... was the "holy spirit" insulted to be called God? A lot of Liberal Christians believe in Jesus and do good works for him because of this believed "god voice" in their head.

Calling their own feelings and emotions "god voice" or "holy spirit" is not limited to Liberal Christians by any means and is a non-partisan technique that simply adds rocket fuel to their motivation and determination. An extremely useful psychological tool for such an endeavor, when used appropriately. Especially given that emotion is the most corruptible, disrupting, manipulatable, and empowering human trait.

And they aren't going to lose their emotion when they lose religion. I warned the atheists and anti-religionists about this before.
Quote:

It's amazing how you seem to think that one guy getting fed up with living a charade disproves the real thing.

He was just being anecdotal. Sure, a common human bias is to think that the plural of personal anecdote and hearsay is proof. But don't think he was saying the anecdote was a concrete and bulletproof clincher. Just more anecdotal data fuel spilling on the church choir fire.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-09-2019 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 09:34 PM

Personally, I think that this is really what was meant by Jesus healing people. I believe it referred to Jesus setting people free of religious strongholds by telling them that they were forgiven already, and then they overcame the psychological issues which were causing the illness and disease. So I actually don't really understand how that seems to work in reverse when people become born-again, because it seems to contradict that. But I don't doubt it for one second because those kind of testimonies outnumber what I consider the more biblically correct testimony. And honestly, I have no reason to not respect people who have that kind of faith, just because I'm not like them.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:36 PM

BaptistFundie, let's not forget the warning about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's just the usual kind of things you would normally hear in the OPPOSITE direction. Such as, people finding faith, and then overcoming things like addiction.

So it's interesting for a person to leave a faith position and THEN finding the inner strength to overcome the addiction. Usually you hear it when people become "born again" Christians, and they find that strength in Christ.
Huh? Weird. I suppose he became addicted to whatever substance it was while he wasn't feeling like a "bad" or "hypocritical" Chrisitan (same as if he had been Jew/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist).

Either he only met hypocritical Christians and thought Christianity is all about Faith-only and forgiveness of sins.

The whole "born again" works under the context that these people could never really bring themselves to commit fully to something so airy as Christianity, but yet they pretended to be Christian as far as it was convenient and began to feel "illegitimate" and started abusing drugs, but once they became "born again" they felt more in sinc with their own emotions (semi-masochistically wanting to give themselves over to an infallible person/entity) and standards.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-09-2019 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Huh? Weird. I suppose he became addicted to whatever substance it was while he wasn't feeling like a "bad" or "hypocritical" Chrisitan/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/Buddhist?
Maybe what he overcame was belief in that judgmental and condemning kind of God associated with Calvin.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:47 PM

14,627 posts, read 10,005,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
3. Christianity officially begins 2 centuries after Jesus at the council at Nicaea when emperor legalizes Christianity and makes it the official faith of his new Roman empire. Even then he didn't do it because he believed it was the right religion--he did it because he felt it was the best religion to go with to keep peace in his empire.
Have to disagree here Thrill. Christianity did not become the official religion of the Empire during Constantine's reign (306-337). It was Theodosius I who proclaimed Christianity as official religion of the Empire in 380 (edict of Thessalonica). The Council of Nicaea dealt with the divinity of Jesus and the problem of Airianism.

Last edited by Rafius; 03-10-2019 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:40 AM

From the interview he seemed to be in a very positive spirit. I didn't know much about Derek before watching an interview with him yesterday. But I actually met the lead singer in his old band when they came to a church in San Antonio in the late 90's where they performed. I was into the band's acoustic guitar sound, and a lot of worship bands were doing some of their songs at the time. I thought he was more of an "intense" guy with the shaved head. I guess he is sort of, but he was nothing like I had thought back then.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 03-10-2019 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or