Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not surprisingly, I'd never heard of him. But it does happen. If true, I'd have to say that I am always vaguely astonished that anyone who was convinced that the Inner Voice that most of us seem to have (I have one myself) is God, can ever come to think that it isn't.

There is a nice well -poisoning and character -assassinating article about him here.

https://theologyalongtheway.org/2018...-saving-faith/

There is an old saying: 'The Church is the only army that shoots its' own wounded'.
There is a (sort of) justified reason that the Church shoots its wounded. The born-again types are afraid of staying in contact with the person who leaves, because they don't want to be to dragged back into their old life. I had a similar experience a few years ago, even though I never became an atheist. They didn't care that I was actually better for having been freed of the Angry God, which ironically resulted from my reading the Bible and having a new understanding of what it was.

But I see them being more in bondage, like the recovering addict who needs the ongoing support group, so that kind of faith is what they need. It all began to click when I met an old friend from childhood through social media who noticed I was posting a lot of Bible stuff. She told me, "Christianity is fine for those who need it, but that could be turning people off." She assumed that I need it. That's when I realized I was not one of the people who needed it. By "IT" I mean the born-again version which is a misreading of the Bible, and is helpful to recovering substance addicts. I don't even think it's a bad thing, because it's a good thing for them. But I just think that some people interpret things differently based on what they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:44 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Very well noted. I actually think it goes deeper than that 0 and instinctive Tribal impulse. You are either one of us, or you ain't. If you aint you are Driven Out.

The Impulse to expel those who are not one of Us is instinctive.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Very well noted. I actually think it goes deeper than that 0 and instinctive Tribal impulse. You are either one of us, or you ain't. If you aint you are Driven Out.

The Impulse to expel those who are not one of Us is instinctive.
Yes, but I'm a little surprised to hear you admit that.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes, but I'm a little surprised to hear you admit that.
Really? I have always thought that we have to understand ourselves, who we are, where we came from, what makes us do what we do and why we do it, in order to know what we should do to improve.

Understanding ourselves, not rummaging around in ancient books, is the way to make ourselves better.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. I don't believe that is God's voice, and I don't know any Christian that does. It's my own mind, as you say, talking to myself.

And no, Mr. Webb giving up the Christian life is, as John said in 1 John 2:19, evidence that he never was a Christian. I believe John over you, or Mr. Webb. Don't believe me, believe what God has said. I'm just a guy.
1 John 2:19 simply means that any Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Buddhist, or Pagan that converts to Christianity was never really a good and true Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Buddhist, or Pagan to begin with.

From one bad fake convenient personally palatable religion and into another.
Like their ancestors .

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-10-2019 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 01:24 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
1 John 2:19 simply means that any Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Buddhist, or Pagan that converts to Christianity was never really a good and true Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Buddhist, or Pagan to begin with.

From one bad fake convenient personally palatable religion and into another.
Like their ancestors .
I really dislike that quote that someone who leaves the fold, "was never a Christian to begin with".
You rarely hear that term in Catholicism or Orthodox, it is mainly Evangelicals.
And most Catholics/Orthodox would know of at least someone who has left for the "born again" version of Christianity.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I really dislike that quote that someone who leaves the fold, "was never a Christian to begin with".
You rarely hear that term in Catholicism or Orthodox, it is mainly Evangelicals.
And most Catholics/Orthodox would know of at least someone who has left for the "born again" version of Christianity.
It's the same exact evangelicals who praise the brother for being such a true Christian... up until the time before he leaves. I would really like to hear some of those evangelicals talking about that same person after he has left.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 478 times
This isn't the full story.

He cheated on and left his wife a few years ago, then he later apparently renounced his faith.

That's what sin does. It deadens and blinds.

So, in my opinion, nothing he says about atheism has any credibility. He messes up his own life, then blames God. What a joke.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightMorning0 View Post

He cheated on and left his wife a few years ago, then he later apparently renounced his faith.

So, in my opinion, nothing he says about atheism has any credibility. He messes up his own life, then blames God. What a joke.
I don't even know who Derek Webb is (although I just looked it up). But, in regard to your post -- it's one of a type of post I really dislike: that all man's successes are due to god, and all man's failures are due to man.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightMorning0 View Post

Yes, the idea of an atheist blaming a god is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality