Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again....so he "came to realize" that the thing he believed all along was not real. I personally have never had a "god voice" in my head. Never claimed to. It's not Biblical. If that's what he actually said, then it tells me that he really never had a Biblical faith to begin with. And it's no more a disproof for God than my faith is a reason for everyone that reads this to convert on the spot.

It's amazing how you seem to think that one guy getting fed up with living a charade disproves the real thing.
You're missing the point. If you don't have a 'voice' in the head, you must be one of the few humans that doesn't. I think that many (most) of us dialogue with our own minds. I do, certainly. We know that Christians claim this as the voice of God because that 'voice' agrees with whatever they think and even changes its' mind when they do. So the evidence is that it is the human mind and not a god. Mr Webb came to realise this and is one more bit of fairly strong evidence that a fairly large part of the Religious delusion is false.

I doubt that he realises (any more than you do) what a significant realisation of his part this was, but significant it is, nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You're missing the point. If you don't have a 'voice' in the head, you must be one of the few humans that doesn't. I think that many (most) of us dialogue with our own minds. I do, certainly. We know that Christians claim this as the voice of God because that 'voice' agrees with whatever they think and even changes its' mind when they do. So the evidence is that it is the human mind and not a god. Mr Webb came to realise this and is one more bit of fairly strong evidence that a fairly large part of the Religious delusion is false.

I doubt that he realises (any more than you do) what a significant realisation of his part this was, but significant it is, nevertheless.
No. I don't believe that is God's voice, and I don't know any Christian that does. It's my own mind, as you say, talking to myself.

And no, Mr. Webb giving up the Christian life is, as John said in 1 John 2:19, evidence that he never was a Christian. I believe John over you, or Mr. Webb. Don't believe me, believe what God has said. I'm just a guy.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know. But why would it surprise anyone that someone who is in the whole Contemporary Christian music scene grow disillusioned with it? So much of it is just so shallow. He is no more a proof against Christianity than I am a proof for you all to convert to Christianity. He's just one guy.
Lee Strobel is just 'one guy' too, who allegedly went the other way and yet Christians are still shouting it from the rooftops. No doubt Webb wasn't a 'real' Christian huh?

Old 03-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No. I don't believe that is God's voice, and I don't know any Christian that does. It's my own mind, as you say, talking to myself.
Why, that's excellent. Just bear your opinion on that in mind the next time a Christian tells you that he (or she) is right because God tells them so.

Quote:
And no, Mr. Webb giving up the Christian life is, as John said in 1 John 2:19, evidence that he never was a Christian. I believe John over you, or Mr. Webb. Don't believe me, believe what God has said. I'm just a guy.
I would only wish that Mr Webb reads this forum - or indeed any other Christians who has fallen away in some degree from their Instilled faith. If they had not yet fallen into the arms of the Hellbound pondslime of the atheist religion, this 'No Real Christian' apologetic ought to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Lee Strobel is just 'one guy' too, who allegedly went the other way and yet Christians are still shouting it from the rooftops. No doubt Webb wasn't a 'real' Christian huh?
Bloody good guess, old dopstick.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:22 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Everyone with at least half a brain eventually comes to question the faith and ultimately give it up on the grounds there's no foundations to support the decision to hold onto it and worse, dedicate one's life to it unless one is using it a means to an end--usually making scads of money off it the way the prosperity preachers and prophecy writers have. Those who stick with it have the following realities to overcome:

1. nobody associated with Jesus wrote a single word in support of him. The gospels were written a hundreds years after Jesus by anonymous people who never heard the first word Jesus spoke. For all intents and purposes Jesus was a "ghost", not a real person.

2. not a single historian in the first century wrote a single word about him or his apostles or his exploits. All this was fabricated hundreds of years later by zealots on fire to spread the gospel message and win converts. The truth was the last thing on their minds.

3. Christianity officially begins 2 centuries after Jesus at the council at Nicaea when emperor legalizes Christianity and makes it the official faith of his new Roman empire. Even then he didn't do it because he believed it was the right religion--he did it because he felt it was the best religion to go with to keep peace in his empire.

People who stop to investigate these details and then ponder what they uncover eventually come to say, "Why stick with a religion that has nothing to support it? I'm heading for the exit sign." And that's what millions of Christians are doing every year now because of a powerful tool called the Internet that we didn't have 30 years ago when the faith seemed it had no direction to go but up. Derek Webb is just another one of those millions.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Lee Strobel is just 'one guy' too, who allegedly went the other way and yet Christians are still shouting it from the rooftops.

No, they're shouting it from the choirloft, as in you-know-who!

Old 03-09-2019, 02:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
He said that he was into Calvinism. He grew disillusioned and disgusted with it.

He got a divorce. Then he began to feel shunned by the Christian community he was in, because of his divorce.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
"Another One Bites The Dust" I suppose...

What possible causes for this type of action?

Was his career flagging? Sometimes people who make their living in the public eye or as a performer, celebrity, etc. will jump ship and/or "switch things up" to attempt to stay viable.

Could be an enlightenment or epiphany that led him away from Christianity to Atheism.

IMO, if there's an interview with an artist in a case like this, what they state as reason for their actions may not be the genuine or underlying cause, keeping in mind many times keeping in the public eye is the most important goal, and ANY publicity is good publicity.
Here is the podcast, but it is long (almost an hour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W8whLus684

Old 03-09-2019, 05:05 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

Stickin' to the "once saved always saved" thing by going with the "he was never saved in the first place". Good Baptist theology.

However it cracks me up that this is just another fundamental doctrinal question in the bible that is not answered by a "perfect" book.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is the podcast, but it is long (almost an hour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W8whLus684
It is indeed long. And he may be 'still searching'. may find his way back to some kind of Theism. maybe from 'spiritual' to seeing that is what humans do. I wish him well, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality