Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times

Advertisements

Depends on what they look like, where they located in their area, and what appeal they may have.

I worked for a company that converted a couple of them to apartments. These were older, turn of the last century, clapboard style churches in older neighborhoods. If they are more modern structures or housed in huge steel structures, then they could see alternative approaches depending on the neighborhood. Housing, retail, clubs, entertainment are all possible options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 PM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Old Methodist church in South Carolina that was converted to a restaurant. Well worth a visit!

The Parson's Table | Gallery

Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Those were in WV. However a church in ME was turned into an Arts Center when the church built a new building a and moved out.
Churches are specialized buildings that don't lend themselves conveniently to a lot of other uses. However, a place for performing arts does seem a natural fit. There is an old church in my hometown that was purchased in the 1960s by the local arts guild as a performance theater.

There's also another former church here that is now a private residence.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to go to a restaurant in NYC that was formerly a church.

Also walked past another regularly that housed little boutique shops.
Read an article the other day that points out that a negative trend in restaurants is that they tend to be overly "live" spaces, acoustically speaking, and you can't carry out a normal conversation without shouting.

The canonical example given was a NYC restaurant that was formerly a church. Don't know if it's the same one; I'd be unsurprised to learn that there are several. The developers actually engaged an acoustic consultant, and they did various things to reduce the echo, putting sound absorbing material on the underside of tables and slanting the floor and such, but a big open space is a big open space. The way they described it, those spaces were designed so a lot of people could hear one person speaking; now they are being used in reverse from their original intent, so that each person hears a multitude chattering.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Read an article the other day that points out that a negative trend in restaurants is that they tend to be overly "live" spaces, acoustically speaking, and you can't carry out a normal conversation without shouting.

The canonical example given was a NYC restaurant that was formerly a church. Don't know if it's the same one; I'd be unsurprised to learn that there are several. The developers actually engaged an acoustic consultant, and they did various things to reduce the echo, putting sound absorbing material on the underside of tables and slanting the floor and such, but a big open space is a big open space. The way they described it, those spaces were designed so a lot of people could hear one person speaking; now they are being used in reverse from their original intent, so that each person hears a multitude chattering.
Interesting. I don't think the one I was thinking of exists any longer.

I agree, there are likely more than one.

ETA: The one I mentioned closed in 2011.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ears-downtown/

Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
However a church in ME was turned into an Arts Center when the church built a new building a and moved out.
The congregation could not afford to heat that old building which is a shame because I had gone to the Washington St. Baptist church a lot when I was up in the summers as a kid.

The Cornerstone building was built sometime between our 2003 trip and 2007 trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality