Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,546,606 times

Advertisements

Simple, they become surplass, and often, unwanted properties. In Canada, apparently 9,000 are doomed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/losin...nada-1.5046812

Some of them are beautiful buildings, but if they are on prime real estate, often they get torn down and redeveloped. I'm not sad to see declining church membership, but I do regret the loss of some of the truly historical buildings. Traveling through Europe one sees churches builty 800 years ago, still standing, and the history attached to them has formed us, for better or worse, what most of Western society is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,474,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Simple, they become surplass, and often, unwanted properties. In Canada, apparently 9,000 are doomed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/losin...nada-1.5046812

Some of them are beautiful buildings, but if they are on prime real estate, often they get torn down and redeveloped. I'm not sad to see declining church membership, but I do regret the loss of some of the truly historical buildings. Traveling through Europe one sees churches builty 800 years ago, still standing, and the history attached to them has formed us, for better or worse, what most of Western society is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lhBkfJmBA

Old 03-10-2019, 01:20 PM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times
We had a presbyterian church next to our school. It "went out of business" as a church, but the organization redeveloped it into a daycare center for Alzheimer's patients, and then redeveloped some of the property behind it into a senior citizen home.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Downtown one turned into a bar restaurant owned by Russians or Eastern Euros...it failed, tho...they weren't very friendly and very slow service.
I wanted to buy one here, phet, St. Vrain around Corona or something...I thought how cool would that be ...huge floor plan like a Loft in SoHo...then I thought of the heating bill.
Now, I'm smarter, 25 years later...big pile of wood and 3 wood burning stoves would have been great!
Damn.
Hesitation and fear do not go well in real estate investments. That was when I had fear...I don't now.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
I used to go to a restaurant in NYC that was formerly a church.

Also walked past another regularly that housed little boutique shops.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM

9,874 posts, read 5,535,674 times
Same thing that happens to any other building that is no longer used for its original purpose: either they get converted to other uses, they get torn down, or they crumble into the ground on their own.

Here is one of the better known re-purposed church buildings: The Church Brew Works

Old 03-10-2019, 02:27 PM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Downtown one turned into a bar restaurant owned by Russians or Eastern Euros...it failed, tho...they weren't very friendly and very slow service.
I wanted to buy one here, phet, St. Vrain around Corona or something...I thought how cool would that be ...huge floor plan like a Loft in SoHo...then I thought of the heating bill.
Now, I'm smarter, 25 years later...big pile of wood and 3 wood burning stoves would have been great!
Damn.
Hesitation and fear do not go well in real estate investments. That was when I had fear...I don't now.
We had an old church in downtown Colorado Springs that was turned into a nightclub for several years, but has now been resurrected as a church.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:27 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
A more detailed answer for the OP:

In the Episcopal diocese of New Jersey, a church that can no longer sustain itself (in one case, a church was down to eight elderly members) is declared "extinct", the building is "deconsecrated", and the building sold.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
One church around here that closed has been taken over by a local theater group. They have room to store their costumes and props and have their own performance hall.

Another old church was turn down to build a Family Dollar store. It was a beautiful old church building too. I hated to see it go.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:19 PM

9,663 posts, read 9,918,144 times
Many closed churches are de-consecrated of Christ , as God does confess that the people are located to other churches and some people are displaced altogether........ Just would not like to be the leaders who were at watch of the church , and failed to replenished the church with new members , as Jesus Holy Spirit will fill the church were faith is exercised ..... See these leaders who failed in their church would need to repent to Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality