Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,551,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
What a great phrase "Offbeat Mantra"
that is hilarious. would make a great name for a garage band.
Thanks Phet!
I actually had a look! Annoyingly often when I look something up I find it's what some rock bands has used as a name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM

17,669 posts, read 13,521,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Whereas if the employee that I had faith in ended up blowing off the errand and going to the beach instead of returning from Houston, I'd be hurt and angry.

Because I had faith in him, and he betrayed that faith.
Maybe your employee is just "testing" your faith..........?

or maybe your employee just works in "mysterious ways" and by him going to the beach it will provide a better outcome in the long run?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,705,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
If Jesus was the smartest man, which he would have to be if he also was a god, then the natural question follows, why didn't he write any parts of the bible? Why did he talk in riddles, rather than clarity for future generations to understand? Why didn't he write in Hebrew, or Aramaic?

If he did, then the argument could be made that at least the NT was the "word of god". But no one is making that claim. Instead, we have this game of telephone, and things were written forty to 100 years after the supposed incidents.

Jesus as god really didn't think this one out, did he?
oh I think he did just fine as fur.....well he was smart enough to create angels to do the grunt work more like robots... so he needs NO robots.
and has asked men to be his partners thus leaving them room for their own contributions........ instead of being a micromanager , control freak like people you might call smart enough to be a "God" or "god like" isn't his idea about humanity .. obviously.. I mean he saved Paul as his translator....

isn't that kind of a robot maker your concept of a God and the son of God ? say like a professor or president of a college and thus a judging and grading ... micromanager?
yep I bet you think they are smarter than Jesus .. why because they told you they were?
Actually I believe Jesus was Tesla bring men electricity , because they couldn't do that themselves.. and He proved to be the smartest man on earth for any age.. neither was Tesla a micromanager of anyone else ... He even let greedy men steal his work and did not fret that either.

as he stated..

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”

― Nikola Tesla

and only God himself would be worried about this..

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”

― Nikola Tesla
https://teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla/quotes

so you saying that Jesus as Tesla was stupid? NO .. his predictions are still coming true..and yes he could write too..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 03-14-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,705,429 times
and to think he was a man Of a real kind of science...
not the religion of it..
"scientism" !

Old 03-23-2019, 02:02 PM

7,292 posts, read 6,881,139 times
Jesus is eternal .
Not limited to time or space or man's science .
Jesus said , Before Abraham was ,"I am"
He is the living word of God existent before any thing that was ever made .
Though he made an appearance in flesh as a man promised messiah , he made appearance before, and likely a few afterword.
I do not dare to limit what God is capable of nor that He has a reason for our existence .
Those of us whom love Him enjoy His intervention and hope for the future unlike the rest of the world with no hope.

Before computers were common ,as one out side that world I could not see the point, and thought of them as only trouble and a delicate expensive beast , kid gloves and all that. remember static straps ?
I resented computers and the threat of having them in our cars and other appliances ,still do for that matter.
Point is, after being exposed to what they can do and my own ownership of computers they are a practical tool more durable than the original counter parts.

Out side Christ the natural man is fearful of God ,not knowing what He really is about, and having so many that provide such a poor example of His influence .Few provide a good example it's hard to know where the line starts .
From my experience God deals with men on and individual level, so that one twin brother may have a very different experience than another .

Some are fearful of what God might ask of them , If God is asking what is to be afraid of ?
If God is asking , He also provides what's missing from our perspective .

It's not just the unbeliever that is fearful ,christians are fearful too from the lack of desperation/complacency in their relationship .
Being a radical christian is not the same as a radical islamic. IMO a radical christian actually seeks after Jesus direction in his life and obeys the directives of the Holy Spirit . God does not call us to judge the world but demonstrate His love and healing and guidance and intervention .
Many times having been abused I would have loved to take vengence, but I know that God does a far better job at dealing with these .
You may not accept things God allows nor the circumstances of natural events , and it is not that He can't or won't but often times deeper issue at hand .intervention is not a debt , it is a gift , usually a gift reserved to those that regard His will greatest.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:40 PM

22,953 posts, read 10,306,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
He didn't need to write 'a book';
HE is the author of LIFE - of everything that exists, big & small.
Look around you - He's given us everything we need.

HE wrote the plan to salvation; with his life, and with his body/blood,death, and resurrection.

His Gospel was already being preached in his church hundreds of years before 'the book' was written/canonized.
Seems His message is STILL getting through loud an clear 2000+ years later! Look around you!

Most just won't listen! The path is indeed narrow ....
The path to becoming a high priest of Judaism is narrow, everyone already knew that there was no door into the holy of holies and the only way a high priest can get in the Holy of Holies is to squeeze and squirm past the weight of a 400 pound veil pushing against him. Everyone already knew the broad way is in the outer court of burnt offerings, and everyone knew that the bread of God is in the holy place which is eaten each week by the light of God also in the Holy Place where the truth is, from eating the bread of God by the light of God's 7 spirits.

Jesus spoke as a high priest about things only a high priest of Judaism would know, to take the narrow way is in fact, to decide to become a high priest of Judaism.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,811,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus is eternal . Not limited to time or space or man's science .
So special pleading then?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM

18,207 posts, read 16,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
He didn't need to write 'a book';
HE is the author of LIFE - of everything that exists, big & small.
Look around you - He's given us everything we need.

HE wrote the plan to salvation; with his life, and with his body/blood,death, and resurrection.

His Gospel was already being preached in his church hundreds of years before 'the book' was written/canonized.
Seems His message is STILL getting through loud an clear 2000+ years later! Look around you!

Most just won't listen! The path is indeed narrow ....

Ohhh boy, we got a live one here.

The reason Jesus didn't write any books is because if he did exist he was much too busy inciting revolt against the Romans. He was captured and crucified, left to rot on the cross like all condemned enemies of Rome, then his carcass was thrown into a ditch with a hundred other bodies and covered over. End of story. Read Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealot...us_of_Nazareth

You thought. Then 50 years later the Gnostics and Essenes start to form a new religion after the fall of the 2nd Temple in 70 CE. They needed a mascot for their new religion--an "avatar" to represent the face of this new religion. Jesus Christ looked like the perfect choice. Presto! Christianity is born.

Quote:
The Essenes were part of an internal struggle within Jewish society at the end of the Second Temple Period. Their customs and beliefs, their apocalyptic vision and rejection of accepted leadership not only created a rift between them and the rest of Jewish society; they provided elements for the beginning of a new religion.
https://www.jpost.com/Jerusalem-Repo...tianity-562442

Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 PM

18,207 posts, read 16,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We accept things on faith without any supporting evidence all the time.

People even accept things by faith when the evidence points away from their belief.

And that's why we will still get in cars and drive down the highway, but believe that our children are at enormous risk for being snatched off the street by a crazed murderer.

If you're obeying Jesus, Clara, then you're praying with full confidence God will grant your request if you do it in Jesus name, yet millions of parents pray for their cancer-ridden children every year in perfect obedience to Jesus' command and still their sick children die. Explain that one to us, please!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM

7,292 posts, read 6,881,139 times
What is it to you if God allows one to pass into eternity early in life or late ?
Some reach their peak of their spiritual existence at different points in life who are you to decide what is more important, being ignorant of one's spiritual potential ?
My parents lost a son @18 months and a few years later another @7 years old, but these did not weaken their faith but accepted their fate. They deepened their relationship with the Lord instead .
Who's will is more important , your will or God's will ?
If you don't know Jesus teaching on prayer you should learn .
God is not manipulated, however He will intervene in the ives of those that actually love Him, His choice .
I pray for people according to how He leads me to pray . Often times people only see the symptom not the root cause. God deals with the cause .
There are times people do not actually want healing for the attention and sympathy they get . How many people get medi care indefinitely, but actually could be working.
People given the opportunity will abuse the system.
I digress,
It is not God's nature to defy a person's will .
The person you pray for is not being forced to be what you want .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality