Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I love her!

And reality and I -- we don't share the same values, the same goals -
To be honest, I don't have goals; I have fantasies. They're exactly like goals but without the hard work.

True that.

I don't get that. I don't understand -- to me, it's disrespectful. It's disrespectful to nature. The idea that we're going to dominate nature, we're going to master nature, nature is too weak to withstand our intellect -- no, I don't think so.

The above makes sense to me. I never understood how the people in my group could throw away their life as "not good enough, they're must be more...I deserve more." They can't even appreciate what they have. If reality didn't contain death then we wouldn't even have had this chance to begin with.
Those were my two favorite quotes as well. Especially the first one.
I have a different view of what death is then someone who doesn't think our consciousness continues in some form, but I can still appreciate much of what she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Those were my two favorite quotes as well. Especially the first one.
I have a different view of what death is then someone who doesn't think our consciousness continues in some form, but I can still appreciate much of what she said.
It's a possibility to me that whatever comprises consciousness could be broken down and reassembled too.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:43 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, you might say it’s a sense of connectedness to all that is which gives you a feeling of ... peace or contentment or even joy?
The short answer is yes. It certainly gives me a sense of awe that the atoms that comprise of me have been around for a long, long time, perhaps even since the start of this universe, and will exist long after I, and this earth and solar system, are gone. Who knows where they will end up, or in whom they will journey through?

Quote:
Do you, like the woman in the video, feel that if your consciousness did in some form continue beyond your physical death, that it would somehow cheapen or devalue the life you are now living?
I think it's an illusion to think our consciousness exists outside of our physical reality. Would I like to believe it could? You bet! I could imagine myself going on a never ending discovery of the cosmos, constantly learning. That would be my heaven, but I don't see that as a reality.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This points to NDEs as being cultural products of the brain more than to them being real.
If you would spend more than two seconds trying to explain what are NOT products of the brain more than them being real, the real issues you sweep under your materialist rug to simplify things for your mind might lead to real enlightenment.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The short answer is yes. It certainly gives me a sense of awe that the atoms that comprise of me have been around for a long, long time, perhaps even since the start of this universe, and will exist long after I, and this earth and solar system, are gone. Who knows where they will end up, or in whom they will journey through?

I think it's an illusion to think our consciousness exists outside of our physical reality. Would I like to believe it could? You bet! I could imagine myself going on a never ending discovery of the cosmos, constantly learning. That would be my heaven, but I don't see that as a reality.
Okay, thanks. That's my idea of heaven, too. Whether one believes it's a reality or not, even having this lifetime to do that is good stuff.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you would spend more than two seconds trying to explain what are NOT products of the brain more than them being real, the real issues you sweep under your materialist rug to simplify things for your mind might lead to real enlightenment.
Your English is bad. Do you want me to talk about something irrelevant to my point (anything but products of the brain), or do you want me contradict myself (products of the brain are not products of the brain)?

Either way, your irrelevant 'real issues' will only lead to enlightment about your ability to produce BS.

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Mystic, is it time to turn your name to "Cryptic phd"? Did anybody understand what he posted? "what are NOT products of the brain more than them being real,"

(cue) 'it only made no sense to those without intelligence'. So, don't be tempted, Mystic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your English is bad. Do you want me to talk about something irrelevant to my point (anything but products of the brain), or do you want me contradict myself (products of the brain are not products of the brain)?

Either way, your irrelevant 'real issues' will only lead to enlightment about your ability to produce BS.
His English is fine. What the problem is, I can't imagine.

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I think it's an illusion to think our consciousness exists outside of our physical reality. Would I like to believe it could? You bet! I could imagine myself going on a never-ending discovery of the cosmos, constantly learning. That would be my heaven, but I don't see that as a reality.
In what part of our existing reality does your imagination about this neverending discovery NOT actually exist as a reality? Things you imagine can violate every existing known law of physics and chemistry, etc. that govern our reality. What does that say about the transcendence of our consciousness over our reality? What does that say about the transcendence of consciousness, period?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:34 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
In what part of our existing reality does your imagination about this neverending discovery NOT actually exist as a reality? Things you imagine can violate every existing known law of physics and chemistry, etc. that govern our reality. What does that say about the transcendence of our consciousness over our reality? What does that say about the transcendence of consciousness, period?
Mystic, what planet are you living on? Primitive man imagined beings -some like animals - that could do the things we'd love to, but couldn't. What does that tell us about reality other than we are great at telling fantasy -stories? In case you were wondering about reality, check out the definition:

"Reality - that which Mystic appears to be losing his grip on".

Old 03-17-2019, 12:35 PM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic, is it time to turn your name to "Cryptic phd"? Did anybody understand what he posted? "what are NOT products of the brain more than them being real,"

(cue) 'it only made no sense to those without intelligence'. So, don't be tempted, Mystic.
He either wants me to NOT talk about the products of the brain, or he wants me to say products of the brain are NOT products of the brain. It took me some time to understand because it is ambiguous.

He then wants to talk about the real issues, whatever they are (milk before or after tea, maybe?) which are somehow irrelevant to what I was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality