Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

What's the proper response? Guess thoughts and prayers didn't work.
People were praying for Lifeway to survive?

Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
People have been praying for world peace for a hundred years. Apparently, Jesus is too busy finding lost car keys.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
The internet has all but killed off the bookstores.

Why should people visit a library or bookstore, when they can find the information so much easier on their cell phone.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they can't keep a less valid description of how the universe works going. there is just to much free info.
The decline of bookstores has nothing to do with religious faith.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
People have been praying for world peace for a hundred years. Apparently, Jesus is too busy finding lost car keys.
It's St. Anthony who finds lost things, silly.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The decline of bookstores has nothing to do with religious faith.
No, but...it was around when the bookstore closed in the place to where I'd moved that I began to look for a church community as one way to meet people.

So you see, Simba, we are all connected in the Great Circle of Life.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:53 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The internet has all but killed off the bookstores.

Why should people visit a library or bookstore, when they can find the information so much easier on their cell phone.
This is completely and totally wrong.

Online options have definitely cut into the brick-and-mortar market, but 'all but killed off' physical stores? Not even close. Furthermore, online options have disproportionately impacted chains. Independent bookstores, however, are doing well as a market niche.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/29/59805...ail-apocalypse

On a side note, I have no idea what your library reference even means. People borrow books from libraries. If I want, say, a comprehensive biography of Sir Richard Burton or Nikita Khrushchev, I cannot find that online. I can find out where they were born, summaries of what they did, and so forth. But if I want a detailed examination of Burton's time in Trieste or Khrushchev's time as a political commissar during the war, and especially if I want to understand those times in the context of their lives, a comprehensive biography is necessary. People go to libraries for large books with full-color plates of impressionists or with maps that can hardly be appreciated or understood on the small screen of a phone. They go for local history, which often is collected at libraries. They go for novels or non-fiction which is less about information as it is about entertainment. And they go to independent bookstores to browse new releases, to see a book before they purchase (because it's often easier to get an idea if that's the book you want or need by inspecting it than it is by reading a description of said book online), and they go because not everyone in the world thinks that just because you can look at a phone will sitting on your sofa, that it thereby means that one should shoehorn every possible life experience into phone-looking while sofa-sitting. Those are just some of the reasons why by local Carnegie library and independent bookshop (which I frequent regularly, despite owning a phone - a fact that will apparently astonish you) are usually bustling.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...an-stores.html

What's the proper response? Guess thoughts and prayers didn't work. Wonder why?

Amazon is blamed, but they forget people are leaving religion in droves. They will keep an online presence, but who thinks that is going to last long?

For those that don't know, Lifeway is run and owned by the Southern Baptist Conference.
I haven't been to Lifeway in years because of the prices. Why would anyone pay $30-40 for a book there when they can get it for 50% less on Amazon or Barnes and Noble? Lifeway simply can't compete. They are not big enough to afford taking leader losses to get people in the store.

Plus the dying of physical media doesn't help. People aren't interested in buying cds and videos anymore.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
My local "Adult" Book and Video stores bit the dust a decade ago.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I haven't been to Lifeway in years because of the prices. Why would anyone pay $30-40 for a book there when they can get it for 50% less on Amazon or Barnes and Noble? Lifeway simply can't compete. They are not big enough to afford taking leader losses to get people in the store.

Plus the dying of physical media doesn't help. People aren't interested in buying cds and videos anymore.

I personally love seeing Christian oriented companies go out of business. Less superstitious nonsense sources to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality