U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM

3,729 posts, read 737,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.
You may want to take a look at school rankings in the North East versus the bible belt. (hint - the bible belt does not fare very well at all, whereas the NE does.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-14-2019 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:10 AM

2,259 posts, read 820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You may want to take a look at school rankings in the North East versus the bible belt. (hint - the bible belt does not fare very well at all, whereas the NE does.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/
There you go, introducing facts into the discussion!

Here's some more. ACT scores:
https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/...s-by-State.pdf
The top 14 states+DC range from as irreligious as you'll find in the United States to centrist but more blue than red (ie, Pennsylvania, Michigan). The states at the bottom? Smack in the Bible Belt.

Rhodes scholarships? Dominated by colleges and universities from the Northeast:
http://www.rhodesscholar.org/assets/...nstitution.pdf

Then there's the fruition of education.

Which states have the highest percentages of those with bachelors degrees, and advanced degrees, respectively? Northeastern states, mostly, with a few blue states from the rest of the U.S. in the mix. No representation from the Bible Belt at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment

And which states are the poorest? Well, that's one metric where the Bible Belt shines! (and the link between education and income is well established).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ates/38051359/

But AA, as always consumed with his political obsessions, merely insists that reality is how he wants reality to be, and all data to the contrary will be ignored.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:20 AM

2,699 posts, read 1,453,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I am myself, an atheist - with my own opinions. And my opinion is religion is not ‘evil’ - neither is alcohol, guns, etc. In and of itself it does no harm nor good. It is dependent on the application by an individual to do anything at all.

PEOPLE BRAINWASH PEOPLE and people bully people - much like you are attempting to do. An intelligent (and emotionally healthy) person accepts when a person disagrees - and doesn’t resort to temper tantrums, pitiful online accusations, drama, or insults.

I recently went to jury duty and had to go through a metal detector. The metal detector is a tool used to detect other metals. The metal detector itself may cause negative feelings of those who do not want to be without their tool. The metal detector itself is not evil. It is the application of the metal detector that some may view as evil. The metal detector doesn't decide if you get to continue on to the courtrooms or not. The humans do.

I am thinking it is the followers of a heaven/hell religion who are acting as a 'metal detector' for their god and their god ultimately decides if you get to pass the pearly gates or not. The followers are the tool. A metal detector doesn't know if the metal you carry is a weapon. Religious followers do try to make this distinction. That is why calling religion a tool is too simple. The followers act as a tool for the religion in some situations and then use the religion as a tool in others.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.
I grew up in a religious community and, yes, everything looked perfect from the outside. What I think is happening is that many misbehaviors were swept under the rug especially in school for key individuals while others suffered negative consequences. Now that minorities are gaining social influence, instead of looking back and saying, wrong is wrong, they want the same opportunities for their family and friends.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-14-2019 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: /Quoted post deleted.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 AM

37,712 posts, read 10,237,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I recently went to jury duty and had to go through a metal detector. The metal detector is a tool used to detect other metals. The metal detector itself may cause negative feelings of those who do not want to be without their tool. The metal detector itself is not evil. It is the application of the metal detector that some may view as evil. The metal detector doesn't decide if you get to continue on to the courtrooms or not. The humans do.

I am thinking it is the followers of a heaven/hell religion who are acting as a 'metal detector' for their god and their god ultimately decides if you get to pass the pearly gates or not. The followers are the tool. A metal detector doesn't know if the metal you carry is a weapon. Religious followers do try to make this distinction. That is why calling religion a tool is too simple. The followers act as a tool for the religion in some situations and then use the religion as a tool in others.
Quite so. But the nature and function of the tool has to be considered. A carpenter's plane could be used as weapon but isn't very handy for it. Other tools lend themselves almost naturally to misuse.

Logical reasoning, I would say, if used correctly, is hard to use for harm. Religion is a tool, not for harm exactly, but for establishing - well... community spirit, as the believers have often observed. Sport can do the same thing and patriotism is specifically for that purpose. The downside is mainly when there is conflict with a different community. It's a particularly harmful tool when the different community lived in the same place.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 AM

1,497 posts, read 294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
CorporateCowboy lives in San Francisco. We tried to explain the Bible Belt to him in another thread, but he appears to have no clue how pervasive fundamental Christianity is in the deep South.
Of course I understand how fundamental Christianity can be - but that doesn’t mean that is how all religion is nor does it mean all religion is ‘evil’ - because in order to believe in evil, one must also believe in god. (I don’t believe in either). It’s all in the application.

Child abuse is committed by people - not religion, not the devil (as fundamentalists would suggest) - but by living REAL people (who are often mentally unstable or at least lacking in psychological health). Child abuse is something to be angry about; the average Joe who believes in a god - is not. By believing it is anything more than that, you actually are ascribing power to religion as fundamentalists do - just in a different way. Anti-theism is an extreme in the same way fundamentalism is (and I think it’s more common to see both in the ‘deep south’).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-14-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Quite so. But the nature and function of the tool has to be considered. A carpenter's plane could be used as weapon but isn't very handy for it. Other tools lend themselves almost naturally to misuse.

Logical reasoning, I would say, if used correctly, is hard to use for harm. Religion is a tool, not for harm exactly, but for establishing - well... community spirit, as the believers have often observed. Sport can do the same thing and patriotism is specifically for that purpose. The downside is mainly when there is conflict with a different community. It's a particularly harmful tool when the different community lived in the same place.
I considered the function of tools, which is why I said religion can be used as a tool. However, most tools I know don't elaborate on how they are being used.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

8,961 posts, read 4,360,481 times
Religion only exists for one reason.....control.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
nng

161 posts, read 32,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Religion only exists for one reason.....control.
Especially control over women.....

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

25,090 posts, read 13,027,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Especially control over women.....
And weak, inadequate men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or