Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 07:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,574,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernovae View Post
-------------------------
Hello everyone! I am new this forum, so thank you for having me. I just wanted to say that it is best to get your information strictly from the source itself, however, simply typing in your question on google will yield quick results. This took no more than 2 mins to find.

OLD TESTAMENT:
Isaiah 40:3 speaks about preparing the way for the LORD (Yahweh). When we compare this verse with Mark 1:3 we see that Jesus is the LORD who had the way prepared for him by John the Baptist.

In Joel 2:32a it says that whoever calls upon the Name of the LORD (Yahweh) will be saved. This verse is quoted by Peter in Acts 2:21, and by Paul in Romans 10:13. Both apostles are referring to Jesus as the LORD.

In Isaiah 44:6, the LORD (Yahweh) refers to himself as “the First and the Last”. In Revelation 1:8 and 17, Jesus similarly refers to himself as “the Alpha and the Omega” and “the First and the Last”.

In Zechariah 12:10 the LORD (Yahweh) is speaking and says that, “they will look on Me whom they have pierced.”[4] This is Jesus speaking (Psa. 22:16; John 19:34). This verse from Zechariah appears again in Revelation 1:7b and is about Jesus Christ.

NEW TESTAMENT:
7. Colossians 1:15
[Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created…

3. John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1. Matthew 1:23
Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name, Immanuel (which means, God with us).

2. Mark 2:5-7
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, “Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

6. Philippians 2:5-7
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
You are new here, and welcome.

However, as most long term members who are Christians here know, just quoting bible verses does nothing. The bible is the claim, not the evidence. As such, it is of little value in bringing any substance to a discussion. If you continue you with this, you will find the atheists in the crowd will destroy your arguments, as most either were very evangelical in the past, or some, like me, know and have studied the book more than you ever will, in a multiple languages. Don't even go into the "original languages" argument, as one of our members is an expert in Koine Greek.

If you find it important to post bible passages for discussion, I am certain there are many in the Christian sub-forum who will welcome that.

Enjoy your stay, and take the suggestion in the spirit it is given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you THINK is who you are becoming.
I’m not Buddhist - and this does not answer to my point, unfortunately.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-05-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you are new, you're going to find that few of us -- at least among the atheists -- are not going to accept anything just because it's in the bible. We generally don't read bible verses in our discussions because it's like trying to prove the bible just using the bible. A fool's errand. And really, about all you're doing is proselytizing, not adding to the discussion.

Sorry, didn't see your response which is much like mine above. Agree fully with yours.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,815,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What method did you use to determine that source??
Originally it was a vision. Since then I have been hearing the same spirit in various Christian ministers.

No, the Bible is not perfect since it was written by human authors. But they were writing about the same God that Christians believe in today. And I will choose to accept imperfections in written letters in the same way that I will accept imperfections in people. Nothing in creation is perfect.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Originally it was a vision. Since then I have been hearing the same spirit in various Christian ministers.

No, the Bible is not perfect since it was written by human authors. But they were writing about the same God that Christians believe in today. And I will choose to accept imperfections in written letters in the same way that I will accept imperfections in people. Nothing in creation is perfect.
OK, so it is nothing that anyone else could use unless they got a similar vision. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
OK, so it is nothing that anyone else could use unless they got a similar vision. Thanks for the response.
Ozzy was chosen.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Disagree - there’s a huge difference. In prayer, one is ‘speaking to’ a deity. In mindfulness, one is speaking to self. One can be ‘mindful’ without a belief in a god.
In the practice of centering prayer, one is specifically NOT speaking to a deity. The point is to sit in silence and let thoughts go.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the practice of centering prayer, one is specifically NOT speaking to a deity. The point is to sit in silence and let thoughts go.
Thanks, but I wasn’t speaking to centering prayer/meditation when I mentioned a deity. I was referring to the ‘standard definition of prayer’ by Christians who pray to a god for relief of world hunger, for example. In essence, you agree with my point.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:03 AM

16,633 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You will spend your time arguing/debating anything you want (even when it appears canned). I simply said, in my opinion, I don’t know how a person’s mind doesn’t turn to mush from doing so - especially when so much of it is clearly fake, unbelievable and/or said to get an inflammatory reaction (which was pointed out by other posters). It’s rather the same with prayer - some people may believe they are making a difference by praying (but that doesn’t mean they are).
Educating, not debating.

Not educating the creationists, but the people who read these posts with an open mind.

But if you are happy to sit back while the religious try and enforce their views on your country, that is fine by me. I will continue to educate.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 AM

16,633 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That would be the rational thing to do but then who would they have to talk to or claim victomhood to, themselves? and agnostics and others would eventually flood the R/S forum with various topics...this method/technique helps to keep the forum stagnant until someone cries uncle.
Debating makes the forum stagnant?

But eh, if you are happy with your country being dragged back to the middle ages, enjoy the upcoming theocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality