Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why does it always have to involve a group?
I'm no expert on the matter but I think the 'us' is meant strictly for those of the faith. It's irrelevant to all others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Psalm 95:6

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker."
Why are you quoting the Bible? Have you begun to believe it is "God's Word"?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why does it always have to involve a group?

For me, the group thing doesn't matter too much. The thing about Christianity I abhor is this obsession Christians have for falling on their knees and groveling before Jesus praising and worshiping him 24/7 here and in heaven. It's absolutely sickening that the whole premise of Christianity is about us being subservient and in slavery to jesus for eternity. And you hear Christians in here constantly crowing, "Ohhhhhh...I can't wait to get to heaven so I can fall down on my knees and worship Jesus and thank him for dying for me!" Something very sad and pathetic about this whole state of affairs.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-15-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Psalm 95:6

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker."
Nah, let's not. Let's instead do the very thing that the Bible says not to and use our heads and the Brains that (by whom or what-ever) we were given. Faith and worship may give us the illusion of being worthwhile, but it isn't. Really, not.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (19 June 1834 – 31 January 1892) was an English Particular Baptist preacher. Spurgeon remains highly influential among Christians of various denominations, among whom he is known as the "Prince of Preachers".

While he recognised that prayer -as -meditation and not a way of asking for things (because he would have seen that - despite the guarantee in the gospels - they often don't get them), he is making a faith -claim that only convinces those who are already convinced.

In my teens, when considering the claims of Christianity, a passage from an evangelical tract stuck in my mind: "It is not about "working up"; it is about a real experience of God". But 'working up' religion is just what it looked like and how could the writer (or Spurgeon) substantiate such a claim? It suffers from the usual flaw in faith -claims: they appeal to faith. In effect, you are suposed to believe what they say, simp;ly because they said it. That's without mentioning of course the Gospels (which he ought to know) which says that prayer is actually something else.

It is a necessary re-invention of Christianity in order to keep it credible, or at least appealing, but it is just adding a layer of deception to the already monumental lie of Christianity.
Also, the Nazis are an example who believed and carried out every action Hitler conducted simply because he said it.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nah, let's not. Let's instead do the very thing that the Bible says not to and use our heads and the Brains that (by whom or what-ever) we were given. Faith and worship may give us the illusion of being worthwhile, but it isn't. Really, not.

I'm certain there was something political about the church leaders insistence that Christians empty their brains and mindlessly worship Jesus on their hands and knees. It had to be about servitude, capitulation, humiliation, etc.--all those things that break a man's spirit making him putty in the hands of the church hierarchy. I got a whiff of this listening to the Justin Bass/Richard Carrier debate in January 2019 when Bass closed his opening remarks with "Follow the evidence where it leads even if it leads you to your knees before the risen savior saying, 'My lord and my god' " Don't believe me? Listen at 38:44. Absolutely sickening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r3LfnD2jU

Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Also, the Nazis are an example who believed and carried out every action Hitler conducted simply because he said it.
Are you trying to compare Christians to Nazis?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Are you trying to say the Nazis weren't Christian?

Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Would that be different to you comparing atheists to Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 AM

661 posts, read 521,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm certain there was something political about the church leaders insistence that Christians empty their brains and mindlessly worship Jesus on their hands and knees. It had to be about servitude, capitulation, humiliation, etc.--all those things that break a man's spirit making him putty in the hands of the church hierarchy. I got a whiff of this listening to the Justin Bass/Richard Carrier debate in January 2019 when Bass closed his opening remarks with "Follow the evidence where it leads even if it leads you to your knees before the risen savior saying, 'My lord and my god' " Don't believe me? Listen at 38:44. Absolutely sickening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r3LfnD2jU
Yeah even though I admit that there are good valid points in some regards to Christian philosophy (as a major influence on civilization), I disagree with mindlessly worshiping it as something like a slave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality