U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM
 
4,091 posts, read 2,539,091 times
Reputation: 558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why does it always have to involve a group?
I'm no expert on the matter but I think the 'us' is meant strictly for those of the faith. It's irrelevant to all others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM
 
8,514 posts, read 4,993,916 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Psalm 95:6

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker."
Why are you quoting the Bible? Have you begun to believe it is "God's Word"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM
 
10,976 posts, read 11,119,368 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why does it always have to involve a group?

For me, the group thing doesn't matter too much. The thing about Christianity I abhor is this obsession Christians have for falling on their knees and groveling before Jesus praising and worshiping him 24/7 here and in heaven. It's absolutely sickening that the whole premise of Christianity is about us being subservient and in slavery to jesus for eternity. And you hear Christians in here constantly crowing, "Ohhhhhh...I can't wait to get to heaven so I can fall down on my knees and worship Jesus and thank him for dying for me!" Something very sad and pathetic about this whole state of affairs.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-15-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM
 
38,388 posts, read 10,502,517 times
Reputation: 5036
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Psalm 95:6

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker."
Nah, let's not. Let's instead do the very thing that the Bible says not to and use our heads and the Brains that (by whom or what-ever) we were given. Faith and worship may give us the illusion of being worthwhile, but it isn't. Really, not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM
 
499 posts, read 277,921 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (19 June 1834 31 January 1892) was an English Particular Baptist preacher. Spurgeon remains highly influential among Christians of various denominations, among whom he is known as the "Prince of Preachers".

While he recognised that prayer -as -meditation and not a way of asking for things (because he would have seen that - despite the guarantee in the gospels - they often don't get them), he is making a faith -claim that only convinces those who are already convinced.

In my teens, when considering the claims of Christianity, a passage from an evangelical tract stuck in my mind: "It is not about "working up"; it is about a real experience of God". But 'working up' religion is just what it looked like and how could the writer (or Spurgeon) substantiate such a claim? It suffers from the usual flaw in faith -claims: they appeal to faith. In effect, you are suposed to believe what they say, simp;ly because they said it. That's without mentioning of course the Gospels (which he ought to know) which says that prayer is actually something else.

It is a necessary re-invention of Christianity in order to keep it credible, or at least appealing, but it is just adding a layer of deception to the already monumental lie of Christianity.
Also, the Nazis are an example who believed and carried out every action Hitler conducted simply because he said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM
 
10,976 posts, read 11,119,368 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nah, let's not. Let's instead do the very thing that the Bible says not to and use our heads and the Brains that (by whom or what-ever) we were given. Faith and worship may give us the illusion of being worthwhile, but it isn't. Really, not.

I'm certain there was something political about the church leaders insistence that Christians empty their brains and mindlessly worship Jesus on their hands and knees. It had to be about servitude, capitulation, humiliation, etc.--all those things that break a man's spirit making him putty in the hands of the church hierarchy. I got a whiff of this listening to the Justin Bass/Richard Carrier debate in January 2019 when Bass closed his opening remarks with "Follow the evidence where it leads even if it leads you to your knees before the risen savior saying, 'My lord and my god' " Don't believe me? Listen at 38:44. Absolutely sickening.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r3LfnD2jU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM
 
10,283 posts, read 12,595,588 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Also, the Nazis are an example who believed and carried out every action Hitler conducted simply because he said it.
Are you trying to compare Christians to Nazis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,352 posts, read 13,187,162 times
Reputation: 11555
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are you trying to compare Christians to Nazis?
Are you trying to say the Nazis weren't Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,088 posts, read 10,215,750 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are you trying to compare Christians to Nazis?
Would that be different to you comparing atheists to Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 AM
 
499 posts, read 277,921 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm certain there was something political about the church leaders insistence that Christians empty their brains and mindlessly worship Jesus on their hands and knees. It had to be about servitude, capitulation, humiliation, etc.--all those things that break a man's spirit making him putty in the hands of the church hierarchy. I got a whiff of this listening to the Justin Bass/Richard Carrier debate in January 2019 when Bass closed his opening remarks with "Follow the evidence where it leads even if it leads you to your knees before the risen savior saying, 'My lord and my god' " Don't believe me? Listen at 38:44. Absolutely sickening.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r3LfnD2jU
Yeah even though I admit that there are good valid points in some regards to Christian philosophy (as a major influence on civilization), I disagree with mindlessly worshiping it as something like a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top