U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 20 days ago)

2,065 posts, read 582,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My adopted son is Muslim, now an adult. We had some interesting conversations over the years, and one of them came up about pepperoni. He asked, "What does pepperoni taste like?" Of course, being pork, he couldn't eat it. Then one day someone had a bag of snacks and he was eating some of them and he thought they were wonderful and asked what they were. The lady responded, "Pork rinds". He ran to the bathroom and made himself vomit.

Later I asked him, "So in no circumstances would you deal with pork. He went on and on about it. And then I said, "So there are certain types of heart surgery where the only valve replacement that will work (at the time) is a pig's valve. If you would otherwise die without the surgery, would you refuse a pig's valve for your heart. I never did get an answer.
I imagine it would be a hard question to answer for a Muslim. Die, or have a pigs valve and be "unclean"? I don't know, seems clear cut to me, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM

2,252 posts, read 503,088 times
Quote:
My adopted son is Muslim, now an adult. We had some interesting conversations over the years, and one of them came up about pepperoni. He asked, "What does pepperoni taste like?" Of course, being pork, he couldn't eat it. Then one day someone had a bag of snacks and he was eating some of them and he thought they were wonderful and asked what they were. The lady responded, "Pork rinds". He ran to the bathroom and made himself vomit.

Later I asked him, "So in no circumstances would you deal with pork. He went on and on about it. And then I said, "So there are certain types of heart surgery where the only valve replacement that will work (at the time) is a pig's valve. If you would otherwise die without the surgery, would you refuse a pig's valve for your heart. I never did get an answer.
I know several Muslims (on a professional level) who drink and eat pork. Your son must have been more fundamentalist than they are, but what is interesting to note - he was raised as your child (so I wouldn’t expect it). How old was he when you adopted him?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM

22,441 posts, read 10,390,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I know several Muslims (on a professional level) who drink and eat pork. Your son must have been more fundamentalist than they are, but what is interesting to note - he was raised as your child (so I wouldn’t expect it). How old was he when you adopted him?
teenager

Old 06-13-2019, 03:02 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Unless, of course, the doctor is an Indian Hindu...which many are.
I had surgery about five years ago in which a Pakistani doctor (unsuccessfully) attempted to remove my thyroid.

I made some darkly humorous (and inappropriate) jokes about allowing a Muslim to cut my throat before I went in for the surgery.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:07 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I work for a company owned by a Muslim couple, and their son is now and adult and has joined the firm. They came from Pakistan back in the '80s, he was born here.

The father said he is only a good Muslim during Ramadan, but he does observe the dietary rules, as does his wife.

But the son is Americanized, and he drinks alcohol and eats whatever he likes. He just does not do it in front of his parents out of respect--even though they know--and he does fast during Ramadan.

So, there are differing levels of observation in Islam, just like Judaism and Christianity.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 PM

13,473 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
There's like 145 pages in this thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned...

There was a study* done in 2009 to see what brain regions are utilised during a prayer. It showed, that despite our perception of a god as an abstract theologically complex concept, those who claimed to have a personal relationship with a god, showed increased activity in four regions typically associated with interpersonal relationships rather than the region dealing with abstract thought. Needless to say, the study drew no conclusions about the 'reality' of god or people's perception of it but it did highlight the fact that "somewhat contrary to the widespread assumption that communicating with God constitutes a unique experience reserved for believers, our findings suggest that praying to God is comparable to 'normal' interpersonal interaction, at least in terms of brain function**", somewhat like common inner speech experience.

Another study conducted by Nicholas Epley from the University of Chicago, showed that "[R]eligious people tend to use their own beliefs as a guide in thinking about what God believes, but are less constrained when reasoning about other people's beliefs[...].***"

Could it be that in prayer we are ultimately asking ourselves questions answers to which we already know?

* https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686228/
** https://www.theeuropean-magazine.com...ence-of-prayer
*** https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1130151321.htm
yeah that makes sense.

we have religionist looking atheist that apply the scientific method to theist but won't apply it to their deny everything stance.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 11,254,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So, there are differing levels of observation in Islam, just like Judaism and Christianity.
Which again simply proves that in the final analysis, religion boils down to the man, not the other way around. We are whatever religions we are because of cultural, ethnic and personal forces and choices. We were either born into it or we made a personal decision to belong to it. At no point of the journey can we demonstrate an outside supernatural force stepped in and chose it for us.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM

13,473 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Which again simply proves that in the final analysis, religion boils down to the man, not the other way around. We are whatever religions we are because of cultural, ethnic and personal forces and choices. We were either born into it or we made a personal decision to belong to it. At no point of the journey can we demonstrate an outside supernatural force stepped in and chose it for us.
bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or