Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
What are you talking about? If you feel you have something of substance provide it.
I am addressing your statement that people will misuse reasonable statements.

I guess I am actually putting what you said to the test. I am putting in a "limit" to your open ended statement.

here are two:

1) some religion's teaching match science data.
2) some religions teaching do not match science data.

stack those two statements against others to gain insight into the statements that are better for us to form a line logic off of.

are those two statements more/less/equal to the claims:

we should deny everything religion says so that theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell?
we should deny everything atheist say because they don't believe in our god?

or is your statement the best base claim? "people misuse reasonable statements." good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am addressing your statement that people will misuse reasonable statements.

I guess I am actually putting what you said to the test. I am putting in a "limit" to your open ended statement.

here are two:

1) some religion's teaching match science data.
2) some religions teaching do not match science data.

stack those two statements against others to gain insight into the statements that are better for us to form a line logic off of.

are those two statements more/less/equal to the claims:

we should deny everything religion says so that theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell?
we should deny everything atheist say because they don't believe in our god?

or is your statement the best base claim? "people misuse reasonable statements." good enough?
Whatever your claims are would you please state them, but beware any positive statements about "religion/spirituality "must be challenged".

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t either - that’s why I questioned it (and quoted you in post #766)
LOL! I was responding to so many different posts, I honestly forgot what we were talking about specifically around being exposed to religion....of course, everyone is exposed to it in some sense....I used the wrong word. I guess I meant to say I was never abused by religion!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's disturbing about this is knowing some religious people even question that, just because we're atheists, we don't experience human emotions.
It may be part of the reason 'we' need to be on a forum like this
I wouldn't question that atheists have emotions, but I think spiritual feelings go beyond just emotions...but probably another area where we disagree! For me, those feelings are a link to something beyond myself. But I'm guessing atheists don't agree....(are we going to be kicked off this forum soon?)

Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, in order to hopefully correct the image of atheists quite commonly held.And, in this case, by an othewise seemingly very nice person.

Your last statement is just nonsensical since anybody can do that about anything for any or no purpose whatsoever... just like you 'used' my post to even bring it up.
Say what???!!!! A seemingly very nice person!! I AM a very nice person! LOL! I did not mean to cause a ruckus over my question regarding atheists and spirituality/love of nature! It seems a pretty minor thing to fight over! I never meant to imply atheists don't have feelings or emotions. Whatever our beliefs regarding God, etc. we are all human and I imagine similar in most regards, but I did wonder...not everyone does have a love of nature, or strong reactions to music/art etc. I just wondered if atheists, who seem more inclined to be logical, rational thinkers might simply not possess these feelings as much as the believers and that might have something to do with their non-belief. Maybe they were just not programmed in the same way as believers. Just curiosity on my part...didn't mean to stir the pot!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Say what???!!!! A seemingly very nice person!! I AM a very nice person! LOL! I did not mean to cause a ruckus over my question regarding atheists and spirituality/love of nature! It seems a pretty minor thing to fight over! I never meant to imply atheists don't have feelings or emotions. Whatever our beliefs regarding God, etc. we are all human and I imagine similar in most regards, but I did wonder...not everyone does have a love of nature, or strong reactions to music/art etc. I just wondered if atheists, who seem more inclined to be logical, rational thinkers might simply not possess these feelings as much as the believers and that might have something to do with their non-belief. Maybe they were just not programmed in the same way as believers. Just curiosity on my part...didn't mean to stir the pot!
We’re all human beings - all capable of emotion, love, hate, knowledge, wonder. Atheism/theism doesn’t categorize us anymore than skin color. It really shouldn’t even be a question.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM

1,402 posts, read 476,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
No pot-stirring intended or perceived. FWIW, I have seen no (zero, nada, zilch) difference between believers and non-believers, in terms of... a connection to nature... an appreciation of and reaction to music, art, beauty... feeling part of something larger than ourselves... having a purpose in life. If some or all of that defines "sprituality," atheists/humanists are a pretty spiritual group!

Indeed, if anything, I have seen many non-believers who are MORE connected to the world than their religious peers... perhaps because they understand this is all they're going to get?

Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

Indeed, if anything, I have seen many non-believers who are MORE connected to the world than their religious peers... perhaps because they understand this is all they're going to get?
I agree! And - it is why doing constructive, measurable things to help people on this earth makes more logical sense than praying (and also makes some non-believers more connected to the world).

Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree! And - it is why doing constructive, measurable things to help people on this earth makes more logical sense than praying (and also makes some non-believers more connected to the world).
No reason one can't do both if one is so inclined.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
No pot-stirring intended or perceived. FWIW, I have seen no (zero, nada, zilch) difference between believers and non-believers, in terms of... a connection to nature... an appreciation of and reaction to music, art, beauty... feeling part of something larger than ourselves... having a purpose in life. If some or all of that defines "sprituality," atheists/humanists are a pretty spiritual group!

Your response leaves me a bit confused again. I see no differences between us (and I'm speaking only for myself, not ALL believers) other that when I feel a spiritual connection, I believe I am actually connecting with someone/something and you all do not? Generally speaking? I believe that that someone/something hears me and responds and you all do not? Is that anywhere near accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality