Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,021,544 times

Advertisements

I was only saying to some good friends the other week that I’m probably post Christian now. I’ve since used the phrase again to a deacon of the church we attend, and are involved in (a Baptist church), when we had a friendly chat over a cuppa.

It’s kind of a funny place to be in, but I think it makes sense, in terms of my understanding of how I relate to the Father and Jesus. By definition, it means one isn’t ‘following’ Jesus, but then he refers to us, or perhaps his Jewish brethren, as brothers (and sisters) - who exactly follows their brother as if they are a deity...? My feeling is also that he intended everyone to know the Father as he knew him. So, my take is that it is man who made Jesus into a third person of the trinity, and therefore man made him the mediator, since it suits man’s hierarchical purposes.

It’s actually liberating to have defined a new category, for my own purposes, and helps to cognitively differentiate from being in the grip of religion, though I think we are called as mature sons, to have a ministry/service to those who also claim to know the Father, hence why we are probably still involved in church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,237,498 times
I applaud with you breaking with man's hierarchical system.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:55 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,537,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I was only saying to some good friends the other week that I’m probably post Christian now. I’ve since used the phrase again to a deacon of the church we attend, and are involved in (a Baptist church), when we had a friendly chat over a cuppa.

It’s kind of a funny place to be in, but I think it makes sense, in terms of my understanding of how I relate to the Father and Jesus. By definition, it means one isn’t ‘following’ Jesus, but then he refers to us, or perhaps his Jewish brethren, as brothers (and sisters) - who exactly follows their brother as if they are a deity...? My feeling is also that he intended everyone to know the Father as he knew him. So, my take is that it is man who made Jesus into a third person of the trinity, and therefore man made him the mediator, since it suits man’s hierarchical purposes.

It’s actually liberating to have defined a new category, for my own purposes, and helps to cognitively differentiate from being in the grip of religion, though I think we are called as mature sons, to have a ministry/service to those who also claim to know the Father, hence why we are probably still involved in church.
If I say 'Whatever floats your boat' that is not at all intended to be dismissive. I am always happy with those who are happy and content with wherever they are. However, I noted that you got where you are by thinking about it and moving on. If you are now perfectly content with where you now are, that's excellent, but, if you do happen to think some more and move along a bit more, that's even better.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,329,675 times
Quote:

As a fellow post-Christian, may I ask what types of ministry/service within the church you think are appropriate? I’m as much post-church as I am post-Christian, so that caught my eye.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 PM

18,195 posts, read 16,797,431 times
Every journey begins with a single step and you've taken that step, Age. People may not agree with my militant approach but it's just my way of trying to get fundamentalists to take that first step toward liberation from Christianity's tyranny. Everyone eventually settles into a comfortable niche whether it's New-Age or liberal Christianity or total abandonment or a thousand places in between. Good luck on your quest. I hope you find a good place to arrive at.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
As a fellow post-Christian, may I ask what types of ministry/service within the church you think are appropriate? I’m as much post-church as I am post-Christian, so that caught my eye.
Appropriate ministry/service is to: (a) function in one's gift under the anointing (ours is music, and prophetic), and (b) only put any stock in, or have an expectation of 121 conversations - anything more is bordering on undue influence akin to man's organisational type of church, i.e. not in the flow of the Holy Spirit.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM

9,672 posts, read 9,952,113 times
Like apostle Paul was converted to Christianity with a profound witness of Jesus Christ , and as a result He endured to the end of His life in the hands of God .... So is true here as my conversion was a profound witness of Jesus Christ and I am committed to endure to the end in the hands of God ....... Not in any way looking to the clergy as God , but as many clergy has Jesus spirit of their space in the spirit and many have calling of Christ .... Still many nations in Europe teeter of Post Christianity and then in America the communist liberal ideas would be the greatest threat to Christianity , as Christians are to nice and a easy target for this crude ideas, Still God is the greater judge then any judge in the world ....

Old 03-26-2019, 03:00 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,537,613 times
Didn't you get the e -mail? Communism is dead?

And you have probably been kept out of the loop on this one, but Europe is rather getting post -Christianity and is rather wondering what they ever saw in it that was supposed to be so marvellous.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:55 PM

63,477 posts, read 39,764,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I found his perspective interesting, as well.

Quote:
Appropriate ministry/service is to: (a) function in one's gift under the anointing (ours is music, and prophetic), and (b) only put any stock in, or have an expectation of 121 conversations - anything more is bordering on undue influence akin to man's organisational type of church, i.e. not in the flow of the Holy Spirit.
Unfortunately, this explanation is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM

Really? That's a surprise.

It basically means, do what you're gifted to do - in my case, the door is open for me to serve in the music team in the church - I can play multiple instruments well. People tell me it's anointed.

Secondly, if you have alternative ideas about anything related to Christianity or spirituality, you should only expect to convey anything in a conversation with another individual; I.e. preaching has become a mechanism for control of the flock.

Bounding one's contribution to involvement with local church matters in the above 2 ways keeps the contribution real. I also feel it best fits the pattern of revival in the church first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality