U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 06:53 PM

30,685 posts, read 31,431,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I agree. But there also been times when the nonbelievers have taken over control. We all know the horrors that have resulted.
There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages......Richard Lederer (Anguished English)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM

10,049 posts, read 12,484,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he has stated that both believers and non believers have these types of people. His accusation that atheist have the same personality types in it as religious people do is spot on. The traits we would assassinate with Fundy theist are in atheism. again, spot on.

to sum it up more simply, not that it matters to you and/or other anti-religious sect's atheists, is that jerks act like jerks no matter what they believe. adult children of abuse are land mines for the rest of us, again, no matter what they believe.

Those claims are spot on. they are so valid that raf, trans, harry, and other fundy think atheist types run away like beaten little children. Or they do what you did, change what he meant.
Spoken like a true messenger.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM

5,604 posts, read 2,188,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he has stated that both believers and non believers have these types of people. His accusation that atheist have the same personality types in it as religious people do is spot on. The traits we would assassinate with Fundy theist are in atheism. again, spot on.

to sum it up more simply, not that it matters to you and/or other anti-religious sect's atheists, is that jerks act like jerks no matter what they believe. adult children of abuse are land mines for the rest of us, again, no matter what they believe.

Those claims are spot on. they are so valid that raf, trans, harry, and other fundy think atheist types run away like beaten little children. Or they do what you did, change what he meant.

Any religious person who uses his religion as a tool for making his life better and is tolerant of those who are either of a different religion or of no religion I will support. Folks who wish to use their religion to make the lives of those of different or no religion worse I will oppose. Apparently you think the latter group are maybe being jerk but no big deal.

I was accused of being anti religion because I do not like those who use religion to make others have worse lives. I will accept being called being anti theist if that means I don't support those who kill for blasphemy laws or use their religion to deny rights to others. I'd rather be called incorrect labels than support fanatics and fundamentalist in the manner I used that word. Especially when the labels come from someone like yourself who is normally wrong in what you think about others.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:02 AM

12,328 posts, read 4,697,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Any religious person who uses his religion as a tool for making his life better and is tolerant of those who are either of a different religion or of no religion I will support. Folks who wish to use their religion to make the lives of those of different or no religion worse I will oppose. Apparently you think the latter group are maybe being jerk but no big deal.

I was accused of being anti religion because I do not like those who use religion to make others have worse lives. I will accept being called being anti theist if that means I don't support those who kill for blasphemy laws or use their religion to deny rights to others. I'd rather be called incorrect labels than support fanatics and fundamentalist in the manner I used that word. Especially when the labels come from someone like yourself who is normally wrong in what you think about others.
yeah bad, we all say this. so what.

Lets look at just how we mislabel you.

How would you classify yourself, in terms of personality traits?
What type of person are you?
what personal experiences in your life have formed your belief about the evils of religion?
based on the times you post. Where are you from?

Then, how would that type of person express their statement of belief about religion/god when debated with an alternative view?

secondly. How does understanding "mob mentally" fit what we seen in groups of people? then line up mob mentality to how some "religious people" behave?

This approach sheds a more detailed light on things. Far more than focusing on "anti-religious/god"

Trans himself has told me that he doesn't care what is going on, how the universe works, or how people work so long as we are attacking religion. Are you aligned with that type of thinking? are you proud to be associated with that type of thinking?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 AM

37,663 posts, read 10,228,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You referred to the Bible as "babble". You showed exactly what you are about right there and have no respect or obligation to respond when someone makes derogatory snarky comments like that. It's not a discussion forum. it's a Christian bashing den. I understand the difference. Can't handle a fair debate in PM? I didn't think so.
We know, Jeff. You take deprecation of your religion and anything to do with it as a personal insult. We know.

Quote:
Spoken like a true messenger.
Yes claims to be an atheist, but he's been on your side for a long time. You are welcome to him.

Quote:
I've had similar issues with Christians like that also. But I've come to realized we can never blame religion. People project their own inner values onto God. That is a fact which will never change.
Not to blame religion for men using it as a pretext for divisiveness, hostility and prejudice, but you can't ignore it as providing a pretext for it, and one that is founded on nothing but Faith, exploited by greed (for the Usual ).

That's the problem with religion and is why we are pushing it back. Or trying to.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:03 AM

312 posts, read 55,731 times
FYI, the GSS results are today's top headline on CNN (of course, that top banner changes by the hour). The data are the same as we have been discussing since OP, but some additional commentary, including reasons for the precipitous climb of no-religion (266% increase since 1991). The analysis predicts nones will be the largest group outright within 4-6 years. Stay tuned........

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no...rnd/index.html

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 AM

37,663 posts, read 10,228,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
FYI, the GSS results are today's top headline on CNN (of course, that top banner changes by the hour). The data are the same as we have been discussing since OP, but some additional commentary, including reasons for the precipitous climb of no-religion (266% increase since 1991). The analysis predicts nones will be the largest group outright within 4-6 years. Stay tuned........

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no...rnd/index.html
Thank you.

To reiterate yet again - This is very encouraging for atheism. The graphs speak for themselves.

We are not making any claims about why they are signing 'none'.
We are not claiming that they are all atheists - indeed many may be Theists - but not participating in or declaring allegiance to any particular organised religion.

We are hoping that the trend will continue
we are hoping that it will become aware of itself as a voting -bloc
We are hoping that it will be open to honest discussion.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM

4,175 posts, read 767,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You guys do know that discussing Jeff or Ozzy instead of the topic constitutes ad hominems, right?
No it is not. An ad hominem is attacking the person instead of addressing the argument. We have already addressed the arguments, now we are jut pointing out hi dishonest MO.

But it is ironic you are discussing us instead of addressing Jeff's argument.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 AM

4,175 posts, read 767,410 times
Quote:
Directly attacking my character is not an ad hominem attack?
No. Pointing out you MO is not an ad hominem. Attacking you instead of your arguments would be an ad hominem. But we have already addressed your arguments.

Quote:
Wow, your side just can never admit to doing wrong here. Unbelievable.
Pointing out why your arguments are not supported by the evidence you provide is not doing wrong. Inventing excuses is.

Quote:
You know what, I am reinstating an old challenge. I welcome anyone even those I blocked to debate me, one on one in private message. No restrictions, no unfair playing ground, just fair and equal for once. Of course, I fully expect no one will contact me.
Why should we? We have seen you MO. There is nothing to discuss. You can make up some excuse for this (as usual), but seriously, we have done the work. All you have done is put your fingers in your ears and sang la la la, I am not listening, la la la.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 AM

10,049 posts, read 12,484,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No it is not. An ad hominem is attacking the person instead of addressing the argument. We have already addressed the arguments, now we are jut pointing out hi dishonest MO.

But it is ironic you are discussing us instead of addressing Jeff's argument.
These little arguments are all useless. Do you want to know why? Because there is no one person who is 100% perfect in their beliefs. There are some Christians on youtube who like to debate atheists, for example. Personally I think that a lot of them have good points, and they are the kind who are more likely to engage with atheists and respect them. Yet, there are many atheists who would ridicule even THEM.

You have to accept people as they are. It becomes more clear when you are a theist like myself who understands that I will never find another person who thinks the way that I do. The only thing I can do is accept everyone for whatever their belief or nonbelief is.

That is what freedom of religion is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or