U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:17 AM

6,731 posts, read 4,004,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Most atheists don't say there is no god, they say that they do not believe that a god exists.
Which is saying, that...as per their belief, relative to its existence...there is no God.
As you know sans...for most of my life, I was Atheist. And I didn't play that wishy-washy "Wimp Atheism" stuff...I stated (in no uncertain terms), it was my position that no God(s) existed.
Now that I am Theist, I still take a definitive position about the existence of God.
Because, the Bottom Line on the issue necessarily is: There is a God, or, There Isn't. God Exists...or...God Doesn't Exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:30 AM

6,731 posts, read 4,004,695 times
Quote:
It would be dishonest of an atheist to claim that no god exists, as there is no way to know that...Don't forget that atheists live in the real world, where honesty counts.
By that logic...you could never objectively claim anything...since nothing is infallible, and, honestly, "there is no way to know" anything for sure.
I mean, "it would be dishonest" if one did not admit it's always possible that any claim about the existence of anything could be wrong.

Old Today, 04:07 AM

37,656 posts, read 10,220,673 times
There it is again: believe -or not. Weight of evidence seems to count for nothing. The main reason i would never want to be e theist is that it screws the ability to think rationally.

Old Today, 05:12 AM

12,312 posts, read 4,693,287 times
there goes trans again. accusing "the other side" of not weighting evidence properly while doing the exact same thing to maintain his sect's of atheism dogma to define our universe.

"I don't care how or what I do so long as I think I am helping and/or people choose the nones." I just can't roll on that train. at some point we need to be as honest as we can.

he's gona save us with the true truer truth statement of belief about god/religous alright.

Old Today, 05:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 1,674,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Internet was the final nail in the coffin of Christianity. The net opened the truth about the shady underhanded dealings of the church and its corrupt leadership to the entire world. People now can research such topics as "Jesus never existed" and "Ten Reasons The Gospels Are Works of Fiction" and get the complete lowdown on Christianity's nefarious creation.

SC3PTICS: Literary Traditions: Ten Reasons the Gospels are Works of Fiction
Well it doesn’t help your cause when there’s so much pedophilia in the Catholic Church as well as anti-abortion laws being proposed every 5 minutes.

America is finally seeing the fairytale that religion always was.

Old Today, 05:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 1,674,619 times
Quote:
It would be dishonest of an atheist to claim that no god exists, as there is no way to know that...Don't forget that atheists live in the real world, where honesty counts.
Believing in no God (or no personal God) is certainly better than believing in one who lets his followers get massacred or raped in his place of worship, don’t you think? Or the mega church pastors driving Lamborghinis and the Bible trumpers shooting up abortion clinics.

When Dylan Roof killed 8 people in church and the Texas shooter killed about 30, something tells me the people with their brains blown out weren’t praying to the right God. Or maybe it was God’s will because he works in mysterious ways.

But it’s certainly not a God that warrants worship every Sunday.

Old Today, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Believing in no God (or no personal God) is certainly better than believing in one who lets his followers get massacred or raped in his place of worship, don’t you think? Or the mega church pastors driving Lamborghinis and the Bible trumpers shooting up abortion clinics.

When Dylan Roof killed 8 people in church and the Texas shooter killed about 30, something tells me the people with their brains blown out weren’t praying to the right God. Or maybe it was God’s will because he works in mysterious ways.

But it’s certainly not a God that warrants worship every Sunday.
yeah, thats true for us all. In fact, I don't know one believer that thinks different. I mean in my personal life. but that's not what we are talking about. we are talking about what is actually going on around us in terms of how the universe works.

"mysterious ways", yeah, I get that position. how does it prove god doesn't exist? maybe god has no more choose in that happening than you have in eating food to live.

what it does show is that they, and indeed most of us, have the traits of thing wrong.

so would you rather get it right? or just deny it all because of how you feel?

Old Today, 06:07 AM

3,713 posts, read 732,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you are insane for not believing in all the other gods?

Silly me, I forgot, they are all aspects of the same god. Which means it is the son and daughter and brother and sister and father and mother of itself. Yes, that sounds so rational.
One wonders how rib woman Eve got different DNA than dirt man Adam, doesn't one?

Oh and the kids? Perhaps there was a Lilith around?

The whole thing reminds me of this cartoon:

Old Today, 06:12 AM

6,350 posts, read 5,943,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

"mysterious ways", yeah, I get that position. how does it prove god doesn't exist?
I'm going to step in here and say that the argument really gets muddled up when you are arguing about your "god" vs. say Jeff or Ozzy's "biblegod".

You are essentially making the argument of "first cause". It's when you start describing and putting parameters on "first cause" that it gets tricky. And that occurs really quickly after you establish "first cause".

For instance, this. (I'm assuming you meant "choice" where you put "choose".

Quote:
maybe god has no more choose in that happening than you have in eating food to live.
Why couldn't a god powerful enough to create all this not be powerful enough to control what happens within the creation?

And then go to he is powerful enough but he doesn't want to...…….

And on and on.

So Rocko's "mysterious ways" comment proving or not proving god doesn't exist? It proves that yeah, god may exist but god is not worth worrying about any more than a bump on a log.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm going to step in here and say that the argument really gets muddled up when you are arguing about your "god" vs. say Jeff or Ozzy's "biblegod".

You are essentially making the argument of "first cause". It's when you start describing and putting parameters on "first cause" that it gets tricky. And that occurs really quickly after you establish "first cause".

For instance, this. (I'm assuming you meant "choice" where you put "choose".

Why couldn't a god powerful enough to create all this not be powerful enough to control what happens within the creation?

And then go to he is powerful enough but he doesn't want to...…….

And on and on.

So Rocko's "mysterious ways" comment proving or not proving god doesn't exist? It proves that yeah, god may exist but god is not worth worrying about any more than a bump on a log.
yes, true. It gets muddled because everything religious people say isn't totally wrong. There will be some over lap in describing how the universe works and how religion works.

you went to first cause and then you began making arguments that some of us are not making. You basically made an argument based on how some people respond. I making the argument based on what we observe as compared to what the person said..

The point about "maybe he made it this way because it can." yes, that argument can be made when we don't have to look at actual observations. But when we do look at observations it more like, if he was there, it looks has to be this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or