U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM
 
388 posts, read 70,468 times
Reputation: 163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
By that logic...you could never objectively claim anything...since nothing is infallible, and, honestly, "there is no way to know" anything for sure.
I mean, "it would be dishonest" if one did not admit it's always possible that any claim about the existence of anything could be wrong.
Afraid I am not following your argument here.

Are you saying that you can't objectively claim, with a VERY high degree of certainty and confidence, that the computer you are typing on right now does not exist? There is hard, tangible evidence right at your fingertips (literally and figuratively!), with which no one would argue. Surely that is a different kind of claim than one involving distant objects you have never seen or touched (the existence of Pluto, for example)... which is in turn different from the claim for a supernatural being for which there is no evidence?

All claims are not created equal.

 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:11 AM
 
12,683 posts, read 4,814,957 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, it was a joke based on a truth (the substance), so it was not an ad hominem. But there IS some reason you responses are not based on what people actually write. Which is the real issue with your posts.

It is not the real issue mentioned in the OP, but your posts rarely relate to the OP, they are usually just personal attacks.



I think the voices in your head are escaping.
ad homien again.

The issue is nones will always out number your sect of atheism.

why is that?
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Germany
4,666 posts, read 856,575 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ad homien again.
Again, it was a joke referring to the quoted part making no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The issue is nones will always out number your sect of atheism.

why is that?
Because my sect of atheism does not exist outside of your mind.
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM
 
12,683 posts, read 4,814,957 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Afraid I am not following your argument here.

Are you saying that you can't objectively claim, with a VERY high degree of certainty and confidence, that the computer you are typing on right now does not exist? There is hard, tangible evidence right at your fingertips (literally and figuratively!), with which no one would argue. Surely that is a different kind of claim than one involving distant objects you have never seen or touched (the existence of Pluto, for example)... which is in turn different from the claim for a supernatural being for which there is no evidence?

All claims are not created equal.
what he is saying is that once we all say "yeah, we don't know everything." then what? where do we go from there?

then, like you stated, shouldn't we list the facts then compare each claim side by side.

basing a claim on "my god only" and/or "we feel religion is so dangerous we need to deny everything so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell." are just not good bases.
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM
 
388 posts, read 70,468 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what he is saying is that once we all say "yeah, we don't know everything." then what? where do we go from there?
...except that he said "we don't know ANYthing," which is different than admitting we don't know EVERYthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
then, like you stated, shouldn't we list the facts then compare each claim side by side.

basing a claim on "my god only" and/or "we feel religion is so dangerous we need to deny everything so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell." are just not good bases.
Agreed. Neither of those is a basis for a solid, defensible claim.
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:30 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Bottom Line: "God Belief" is still the standard, as it has been. And, Atheism, "The Concept of Nothing", is still a nothing concept, like it has been.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-god-divinity/
Science and Logic. Atheists accept science and logic.
Atheists cannot question the science or ignore the logic as stubbornly as the religious can.

Bottom line.
"Nothing" or "one less false god than you" doesn't factor into the social growth of the "Nones."
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wouldn't care what Tyson thought because I don't think he is a spiritual person in any sense. He says things that atheists obviously want to hear, but that should have no bearing in my opinion because he comes across so arrogantly.
Funny that. I usually think that the religious and the psychics/spiritualists most often come across as the arrogant ones.
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Atheists and Monotheists need to get back to the Heart of Perfect Logic and stop with the personality assessments and criticisms of personal character/label which distract from the main real issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Palm Sunday is the perfect day, because all of his 'arguments' end in .
OK. You made me spit my drink with that one. But still, this is a discussion forum, perhaps it is best to leave the jabbing jokes and undetailed/unflagged complaints somewhere else.
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The thought is that Catholics are leaving in droves, but they are being replaced via immigration. That data is not in the survey posted by the OP, it is merely something that I have read elsewhere.
The Catholic Church has indeed been one of the primary driving forces of the Caravans of Economic and street/home Violence refugees. Why not just tax the rich in Central America? Why not just Charity from the Catholic Church to Central America? Why should the Church in Rome be having cake while their members in Central America cannot have bread?
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,956 posts, read 4,687,818 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am simply cognizant of how this world actually is...regardless of how some wish it was or wasn't.
"God Belief" is the standard. Has been...is now...and probably always will be.
Monotheism did not take power against freedom of Polytheism until 1,000 years ago.
A new Millenium can start at any minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top