U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 02:03 PM

3,713 posts, read 732,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Internet was the final nail in the coffin of Christianity. The net opened the truth about the shady underhanded dealings of the church and its corrupt leadership to the entire world. People now can research such topics as "Jesus never existed" and "Ten Reasons The Gospels Are Works of Fiction" and get the complete lowdown on Christianity's nefarious creation.

SC3PTICS: Literary Traditions: Ten Reasons the Gospels are Works of Fiction
Good source and article. Concise, yet very relevant. Perhaps BatistFundie should read it before proclaiming any "truth" knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM

6,350 posts, read 5,943,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Good source and article. Concise, yet very relevant. Perhaps BatistFundie should read it before proclaiming any "truth" knowledge?
Here is a vid by Non-Stamp Collector that is hilarious and blows up the "no contradictions in the bible" in a mere 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM

7,766 posts, read 4,613,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Here is a vid by Non-Stamp Collector that is hilarious and blows up the "no contradictions in the bible" in a mere 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk
It's BOTH yes and no!

Old 03-30-2019, 06:46 PM

6,731 posts, read 4,004,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
This study deals with the USA. Why bring up an assertion that is totally irrelevant to the topic?
Yes...I noted the USA...and about its status relative to the base issue in your OP.
Your OP put forth much more of a topic than just the study...in that you made a lot of statements about the mental acumen of those that are Religious, compared to those that are not.
Wanted to make sure that it was understood that (since you suggested that Religious Belief equated to a lack of value in "sanity") the "anomaly" in this equation is "this study that deals with the USA"...as respects the assessment of the "real 'good news'" about a "step toward rational thinking".
Many times people get trapped in their little box...and they look around within it and think that is representative of how things are overall. They point to localized trends, and possibly use them to erroneously determine how things are moving for the whole.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:52 PM

10,049 posts, read 12,481,604 times
I have seen many None-style sentiments which are essentially what I would call Liberal Christianity. Or even just non-denominational Christianity. That is mixed in with the atheists and agnostics.

Also, I don't really see Evangelicals declining from that particular graph.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...I noted the USA...and about its status relative to the base issue in your OP.
Your OP put forth much more of a topic than just the study...in that you made a lot of statements about the mental acumen of those that are Religious, compared to those that are not.
Wanted to make sure that it was understood that (since you suggested that Religious Belief equated to a lack of value in "sanity") the "anomaly" in this equation is "this study that deals with the USA"...as respects the assessment of the "real 'good news'" about a "step toward rational thinking".
Many times people get trapped in their little box...and they look around within it and think that is representative of how things are overall. They point to localized trends, and possibly use them to erroneously determine how things are moving for the whole.
Rational thinking includes wanting to know as much as is true, and rejecting as much that is not. It looks for proofs over faith. It rejects cognitive dissonance. Hence my statement that not all nones are atheists or agnostics, as much as I would like to believe that.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:09 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,018,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have seen many None-style sentiments which are essentially what I would call Liberal Christianity. Or even just non-denominational Christianity. That is mixed in with the atheists and agnostics.

I've learned there's a lot you don't see.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM

10,049 posts, read 12,481,604 times
I'm also curious about the Catholic-to-Evangelical shift which occurred in the early 90's. That was around the time that Sinead O'Connor tore up a picture of the Pope on live TV.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

So Evangelicals coming from a high of about 30% to in 1990 to about 23% is not a decline? Really? It sure the heck is not flatlined.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 PM

8,558 posts, read 8,121,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And what is truth? Truth to you is Christianity. Truth to somebody else is science, Buddhism, atheism, etc.
No, what you are describing is belief, not truth. Truth is a statement that agrees with reality.

It is true that the earth is round. It can be measured, calculated, circumnavigated, photographed, etc. Some people believe that truth, others believe that it is flat. When a flat-earthier describes their belief as truth, it doesn’t mean they are correct. It simply means they are using the word truth incorrectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or